Accurate?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vrodman

Accurate?

Post by vrodman »

I'm fed up with my Firebolts. I have approximatly 20+ and at best can get 3 to group at a time. I would like suggestions on a maker/brand or both that I could just grab one without looking and know it's gonna hit where I put it with the one before. I can do this if I match them up but now I'm down to 2 or 3 matches. This is all off bench. I know what I have will probably kill a deer but off a bench I would expect better. They are numbered and each hit the same spot as previous but not close to others. I hope you know what I mean. Thanks, David
Vortex
Boo String's
Sure-Fire mounted on front
Firebolts,110 brass inserts,blazers w/100gr.Grim Reapers
Groundpounder mount
STS
one shot scott

Re: Accurate?

Post by one shot scott »

what weight head are you using?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

David, tell us about your arrows. The fletchings, inserts, and as One Shot Scott referred to, your choice of head. Tell us what you have.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Normous

Post by Normous »

Try this to see if it might help. On your Excalibur there is a black plastic shim to protect the fiberglass limb from the aluminum riser pocket ( between where the limb bolts to the riser). This black plastic often protrudes into the riser valley and may contact the vanes upon exit. Trim this plastic flush with the riser valley with a sharp razor blade.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

100gn. field tip, Plastic has been trimmed since day one and fletching is 5" that came with the arrows. Thanks guys, I hope this helps help me :D
Vortex
Boo String's
Groundpounder mount
STS
rm

Post by rm »

Maybe try 4" offset vanes on the firebolts. All I know is out of the last box I bought 5 fly the same and one hits a little left both with 100gr field tips or broadheads after being resighted for either.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

How much you want for them?
In the Wind.......
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I'm not any kind of xbow guru, but it's my understanding that Excalibur designed the Firebolt to shoot heavier heads such as the 150 grain Bolt Cutters. My Firebolts do well with 150 grain heads but not so great with lighter heads, especially the 100 grain broadheads.

Carbon Express crossbow arrows come with a weight forward design. I've never shot them, but from what I've read, they do well with lighter heads.

I do shoot Gold Tip Laser II's and Laster II Kinetics and both fly well out of my Axiom with light broadheads, but of course they have heavier brass inserts up front.

I'd try a heavier broadhead and if that didn't make 'em behave, I'd try either the Gold Tips or Carbon Express', whatever you can get a hold of locally.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. you wont be sorry.
Team Dryfire
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

OkXbowHunter wrote:I'm not any kind of xbow guru, but it's my understanding that Excalibur designed the Firebolt to shoot heavier heads such as the 150 grain Bolt Cutters. My Firebolts do well with 150 grain heads but not so great with lighter heads, especially the 100 grain broadheads.

Carbon Express crossbow arrows come with a weight forward design. I've never shot them, but from what I've read, they do well with lighter heads.

I do shoot Gold Tip Laser II's and Laster II Kinetics and both fly well out of my Axiom with light broadheads, but of course they have heavier brass inserts up front.

I'd try a heavier broadhead and if that didn't make 'em behave, I'd try either the Gold Tips or Carbon Express', whatever you can get a hold of locally.
Hey guys I appreciate all the input and will take it to heart but when I bought mine in 07 they were "designed" for 100gr. I don't care if I have to go up in weight but there is not much choice when you do. If I can get an arrow that's heavier that shoots with a lighter broadhead I'm all for it, but for now I'm just trying to get the arrows I have to shoot somewhat with what I have. Like I said before, the ones I have will shoot in the same spot for that arrow but the next one is in another spot everytime. The arrows shoot consistantly, but not with each other. So if I could find some others that would keep together better than a Middle School Dance I'm all for it. If someone knows of someone that puts together something better than off the shelf stuff I'm all for that too. Thanks
Vortex
Boo String's
Groundpounder mount
STS
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

See4miles wrote:How much you want for them?
I have no idea, but If I can't get these to suite me then probably cheap.
Vortex
Boo String's
Groundpounder mount
STS
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Are you cocking the bow by hand , using a rope cocker or crank?
Hand cocking can cause inconsistent groups.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You can use a brass front insert, that would bring your F.O.C up and let you continue to use 100g heads.

Is it only the farther ranges where you are having a problem?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
masboy

Post by masboy »

i had the same trouble so itried brass inserts on some still same problem with all weight heads so i went and bought gt lazer 11 with 110 gr brass inserts blazer broadhead 2 inch fletching off set 4 degrees squared all shafts and inserts with g5 tool now shoot 100 gr heads muzzys,tec 3,rage,practice points no more flyers
all arrows fly great
vrodman

Post by vrodman »

Rope cocker, Arrows sent with package, plus extras I bought. I numbered each arrow and each one will hit same spot but not same spot as others. Maybe I'm being anal, but at 20 I have 2 1/2 groups out of 12. They do this at 20yds, I can only imagine what it would be at 40. I have come to the conclusion that it's the arrow. Can anyone point me to someone who can make a consistant arrow. Don't need bling but would appreciate it if so :D .
Vortex
Boo String's
Groundpounder mount
STS