no - any deer kill is an accomplishment
89%
yes - bucks are all I hunt
11%

Total votes: 101

See4miles

Re: sexist????????

Post by See4miles »

And I will admit also that I spent a good portion of a bow season a few years back trying to bring down a HUGE doe who never once failed to sniff me out and tell the entire county I was there.
She had two fawns that looked like race horse colts. Man she was smart and a great breeder. The more she made me a fool, the more I wanted to get her. Never did, she was just too smart for this idiot.
Funny thing to me is, a big buck would have skedaddled for good, or went nocturnal, she preferred to walk the same places each day and manage to dodge me wherever I sat or climbed. Had I taken her, I may have gotten her mounted. So, although I'm buck hunter, I believe one of the best trophys of my life could have been a doe.
In the Wind.......
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

wabi are you bored ? :lol: Thats what awshucks replies to me on some of my emails to him. I am guilty of the calling gender names on deer. I usually see where someone posts i killed a Doe or a Slick or flat top. I reply congrats on yer nanny. Bucks congrats on fine-good-great- nice & so on. They be varmits danged Tick Toters kill'em & eat'em! I do enjoy greeting them & have a BH with each of their names on it :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I will harvest the first mature Doe I can get a good shot on with archery tackle for the the meat I do not want to go without venison for a whole winter that would not be a happy winter for me. I can be picky after the 1st deer is down be it a buck or doe .
I am very proud of all the deer I harvest.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
secret

Post by secret »

Cant eat horns!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

big buck hunters get a bad rap I think because mostassume we are only after one deer. A gaint mature buck.They think we hunt nothing other than mature bucks. I cant speak for everyone but I spend 90%of my time looking for a wall hanger. Its what thrills me and makesme want to hunt every season. Hops of seeing something bigger. I see so many deer everyday that they dont thrill me. Im always in the fields an always seeing deer. That asside I took 3 good bucks last year and let tons walk. Also let tons of doewalk but I also took 18 doe last season as part of maagement. Those that hunt big bucks also take plenty doe out of the heard. The guys on TV that hunt big bucks also come in during the late season and manage the doe. But you dont see that since everyone wants to see big racks:)

just dont judge all big buck hunters and think they only shoot bucks;) You cant eat antlers, but im not taking a young buck down when its 6 doe in the field right beside him that taste much better :lol: :lol: but its to each thier own 8)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I hunt for the camaraderie of the group , the challenge and for the meat . Now don`t get me wrong if Mr. Big walks by I`m not going to turn him down because of the tougher meat . Hamburg is never tough .
As my moniker states I have no problem taking a flat top . A person harvests a deer it is a trophy no matter how you slice it .
I commend persons whom can consistently shoot big bucks they target . I`m just not that good of a deer hunter . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Crazyfarmer is right on! I hunt bucks but always (try) get venison in the freezer, buck or doe before its over for the year.
In the Wind.......
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

It really depends on your area..If I was on a farm in a state that has huge bucks a plenty and bucks that were able to achieve maturity i would focus on big bucks for trophys but the young doe for freezer. The big bucks around here are just plain and simple few and far between..no crops in my area just browse and to many people will just kill any deer for food. To many sorry ass road hunters and you know who you are!--- you have to be around an area that manages deer or has good habitat..its a certain recipe that brews big bucks and if you live were you can focus on them GREAT I dont knock nobody for it..I live to down a nice buck for sure but I take pride and give thanks for all that comes my way..good thread wabi interesting views.thanks
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

Maybe some of the reason no one specifies gender when mentioning squirrels or other fur-bearers are that both sexes look the same...I know when using archery equipment, any deer is an accomplishment. During rifle season I usually wait for a nice buck because we have so many deer and I get tired of cleaning them. Anytime a youngster or someone who doesn't get many opportunities to get a deer harvests one I am happier for them as I would be if I killed the deer myself. I think the difference lies in the fact that the chances are better to get or encounter a doe rather than a buck, especially a good buck, hences the added accolades or feel of accomplishment. For me personally, the feeling of achievement isn't so much in the kill, but rather what it took to get HIM in the sights. Just my opinion.
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'll take a doe or a buck any day.
It's all good meat in the freezer.
If it's got a nice set of antlers that's a good bonus but definately not what I'm looking for in the field.
I'm looking to put meat in the freezer. Yummy!!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

bstout wrote:In my opinion, a person that takes a yearling with a bow & arrow supersedes someone who takes a more mature deer using a gun.
Agreed. I like the challenge of hitting a small yearling almost as much as I like the challenge of taking an old wise doe. Nothing makes me more proud than to take an old doe that has busted me numerous times.

After an hour up a tree a mature doe is safe around me only if I can see the buck that is following her. :)

Yep, I'm sexist. The only time I don't call them a buck or doe is when I hit a 'damn deer' with my truck or car.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
okbyme

Post by okbyme »

Hello to everyone. I'm not a trophy hunter, more of a meat hunter. My late father always taught us that if it had horns you could always use them to stir the stew... Of course I wouldn't turn down a 130 plus buck for a doe if given the choice, but then if only big bucks went into the freezer it might be empty more often than full. We all know that that 6 year old doe is much more of a challange than most two year old buck. And most folks will tell you that they both taste the same. Well I guess this was my first post! Great forum, getting ready to purchase a Phoenix to go with my Exocet, things like bows of all kinds are just better in two's!!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Do not discredit a Doe because she does not have a big rack she probably has a beautiful mind :lol:
Sorry I could not resist.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Not as long as I'm getting some...
RAMAMOE

Post by RAMAMOE »

Here in WMU 47 we have an additional doe tag (archery only) I will be selective and wait for a bigger doe..the more meat in the freezer the better..the more venison the less beef I need to buy..When the doe tag is filled then I will put my game face on and work for a nice buck with good headgear..I mean come on ..who doesn't like to see a big rack on the ground covered with leaves after he's heaped up from the sting of our Excaliburs.. good luck :D
Equinox - Varizone - Rage 100 3 blade - xcal. firebolts
"When they hear the "TWANG" it's already too late"