Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lupien

Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Post by lupien »

This was my first hunting trip with my Exomax and it turned out to be a pretty bad one... We went Moose hunting in northern Ontario. After 4 days (out of 10) I was sitting in a stand with the crossbow cocked and an arrow loaded just waiting. All of a sudden I hear this loud whack and the crossbow flies out of my hands! I pick it up wondering what had just happened and notice a limb was completely missing a 1/4 of it... What the heck happened?!? I have no clue. I never dry fired it (yet anyways) I always take extra care of it not to bang it around to damage it. When I walk in branches with the xbow strapped on my back I alway had 2 elastics around the stock holding the safety down just to prevent a branch from flipping the safety off. Every night after a hunt I would un-cock it. I just don't get it!

What would cause a limb to fail like that out of the blue? I gotta say its scared the crap out of me! That thing could have hit me in the face or something. I never found the missing end (Update* - the string was found in 1 piece so it didn't snap.) so it must a flew a long ways. Luckily the arrow stayed in its slot and did not fly out too. The safety was on so that might have prevented that. The trigger string holder thing was still "engaged" too.

Did anybody every have this happen to them?? I bough an Excalibur cause it seemed to be the most durable xbow (no pulleys to break etc..) but now i`m kind of regretting it... After spending do much money on gear for my first hunting trip this happens and I can't hunt for the remaining 6 days and now need to spend more cash to get a new limb... :S

I got 2 of my buddies to also purchase Excalibur crossbows and it was our first hunt with crossbows but after seeing what happened to mine they got very paranoid. If this is something that happens often I think we will have to sell our gear and stick to gun season... Which is sad cause crossbows are pretty fun but if they are unreliable like that, and pretty dangerous, I don't know if I want to give it another try.

I`ll be posting pics up tonight probably. Just got back late last night (after 10 hour drive) so didn't get a chance to unpack yet. I will also contact Excalibur and send them pics, hopefully they will have an explanation for this or even better, new limbs.
Last edited by lupien on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blood on the floor

Re: Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Post by Blood on the floor »

I` ve been on these boards 3 years, NEVER heard that one before.
Don`t send pics. - Send the bow, and You will be surprised how fast You will be back in the field.

Here`s to a little blood on the floor
mark 10 :13
M&M

Post by M&M »

I also have been on this site for 4yrs and can't recall ever hearing of a limb shattering like that. I am sure that excalibur will make it right with you. they are a real stand up company with a great reputation for backing their products. Sorry to hear about your hunt going bad like that
M&M
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Surprised would be an understatement. Never heard of anything like that happening.

Excalibur will make it right. It could have been caused by a number of things. But, Excalibur will make it right.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bwagss

Post by bwagss »

Talking about nerve-wracking, huh? I'm sure Excalibur will stand behind there product. Keep us posted.
When you think you know everything, you find out how much you don't know.
lupien

Post by lupien »

Well i`m a little more reassured now knowing this is not a common thing to happen.

And yes, it was nerve racking..lol. It scared the crap out of me. Especially not being able to find the part of the limb that broke off and the string it must a flew away with a lot of force. Lucky for me it wasn't in my direction.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just last night I was looking down at my bow while I was in the stand wondering what would happen if something gave, my string is a bit frayed and that is what I was focusing on.
However, I get on to a whole lot of forums and have never heard of this, if it had ever happened before I am sure we would have heard about it.
Sorry about your hunt.
I do not understand how the arrow could have still been on the rail though, the string is always touching it and it remains housed behind the claws. The end loop of the string would have had to pass behind the claws at a horrific speed.
Are you sure your string didn't break first, it sure sounds like it to me.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lupien

Post by lupien »

I doubt that the string broke because it was a brand new string. I put a new one on right before the hunting trip and took maybe 5 shots with it to make sure my scope was still well adjusted. My buddy is still up there at the camp and was going to keep an eye out to try and find it. I hope he does.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

Pydpiper wrote: I do not understand how the arrow could have still been on the rail though, the string is always touching it and it remains housed behind the claws. The end loop of the string would have had to pass behind the claws at a horrific speed.
Are you sure your string didn't break first, it sure sounds like it to me.
i was thinking the same thing bout the string whipping through the claws if the limb just snapped, my thoughts are the string gave up the ghost ....the two half of the string would have been catapulted when the limbs went forward and lanched outta sight so fast....any kind of STS wouldn't have helped in that case cause they catch the string in a dry fire....like others said bring it to excalibur if you are close in ont :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

lupien wrote:I doubt that the string broke because it was a brand new string. I put a new one on right before the hunting trip and took maybe 5 shots with it to make sure my scope was still well adjusted. My buddy is still up there at the camp and was going to keep an eye out to try and find it. I hope he does.
The string could have rubbed up against something and gotten damaged on the way into your stand. Or while sitting there. That explaination has better odds of happening than the limb failing like that. Doesn't matter . . .call Excalibur and let us know the outcome.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

lupien wrote:I doubt that the string broke because it was a brand new string. I put a new one on right before the hunting trip and took maybe 5 shots with it to make sure my scope was still well adjusted. My buddy is still up there at the camp and was going to keep an eye out to try and find it. I hope he does.
New strings can break, and it is the only explanation as to why the arrow remained on the rail. You were there, not me, but if you look at the space behind the claws in comparison to the sheer size of an end loop you will see what I mean.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

if you were holding the bow in your lap like i hold mine while sitting waiting for deer to come by and a limb just failed....it would be catapulted toward you hitting you with god knows what force and the string whipping through the claws and out the other side i'm sure would have put a hurting on you too....if the string just snapped both halves would go away from you and so would the missing limb part as it snapped going forward then stopping with force from fully cocked....i'm sure it was the string now thinking it over in my head if it happened to me while holding the bow in my hands....i'm almost positive you would have been hit hard with the limb if it just snapped :shock: ....just cause it was a new string don't mean it won't just go.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
lupien

Post by lupien »

Makes sense. I will give my buddy a call tonight when I get home to find out if he found anything. I gotta be honest I didn't look around for it for too long cause I was pretty pissed off and wanted to go back to camp for a beer asap..lol (ok...maybe more then 1)
Last edited by lupien on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

lupien wrote:Makes sense. I will give my buddy a call tonight when I get home to find out if he found anything. I gotta be honest I didn't look around for it for too long cause I was pretty pissed of and wanted to go back to camp for a beer asap..lol
I would have been pissed too.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Just another good reason to have two bows. I always take both of mine with me when going on a multi-day hunt. I usually use them both . . .but, never because one failed. :)

Get a second bow! :shock: :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen