Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taureau noir

Re: Hunting trip ruined because of shattered limb...

Post by taureau noir »

I had a blade failure today while moose hunting.Found my string not centered when drawn.By checking further, I notice the right hand blade has many lines across the blade like delamination.
Right away I undraw it and found the inside of the blade to be rought when I pass my hand on it.Never had a dry fire ,I have a STS on my crossbow.I have no explanation as why it gave way?
taureau noir
---------Chasseurs et Pêcheurs du Québec----
http://chasseursetpecheurs.actifforum.com
[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j60/momo7132/LOGO/chasseur_pecheur2.jpg[/img]
lupien

Post by lupien »

I really don't think I banged it anywhere to cause a week spot. Well I really doubt it anyways...

When I first got to the hunting camp I put a new string on and took around 5 shots with it in my target and POI was the same as when I last adjusted my scope.
lupien

Post by lupien »

taureau noir wrote:I had a blade failure today while moose hunting.Found my string not centered when drawn.By checking further, I notice the right hand blade has many lines across the blade like delamination.
Right away I undraw it and found the inside of the blade to be rought when I pass my hand on it.Never had a dry fire ,I have a STS on my crossbow.I have no explanation as why it gave way?
taureau noir
I`ll check my blade near the break to see if it feels weird like yours (delamination)

Merci

Post by newbie »

sorry to hear about your bow, but at least its just the bow that got injured. Could the limb have been damaged during transport to camp? i know i have a few buddied that are always in a hurry when heading to camp, and don't look where they throw their gear or onto what they throw it. Do you have a case or just toss in the truck?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
lupien

Post by lupien »

newbie wrote:sorry to hear about your bow, but at least its just the bow that got injured. Could the limb have been damaged during transport to camp? i know i have a few buddied that are always in a hurry when heading to camp, and don't look where they throw their gear or onto what they throw it. Do you have a case or just toss in the truck?
I always take extra care when I move it around. I first packed all the truck and after that we put the 3 crossbows over everything to assure noting would crush them. I don't have a case for it no but I used large moving blankets (those blue ones) and wrap the crossbow with it a couple of times around so it very well protected...more so then the case I think...lol. Much cheaper too, but its a pain.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I broke a limb once. I shot while prone and hit the leg of a chair. Looked just like yours! Made a ton of noise and just about had an autoenema! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lakelover wrote:Lupien
The short lenght of the filaments coming out one long on the bottom. Does not seem a problem with the manufacuting. caviet I don't know the lenght of fiber used in manufacturing process.
The filaments are continuous.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

I had a limb break on a new compound bow once. I'd shot it maybe 40-50 times. Drew it back and heard a tearing noise. I actually checked my clothing, as I thought a seam had ripped. :lol: I shot the arrow with no noticeable changes. I drew again and heard the noise again. Let the string down and found a limb was in the process of breaking! It looked similar to your limb, but was still attached by about 1/2 the thickness.
I would imagine the stress on the crossbow limb at full draw would be much more than a compound bow, so it probably broke so quickly there was no audible warning like I had.
The dealer said it was rare for one to break, but it did happen on rare occasions.
Luckily he had a new set of limbs in stock and had me shooting again within an hour.
wabi
munch

Post by munch »

i'm sure peter will fix you right up
3 of us just got back from moose hunting . the second thing i packed was 2 extra cross bows and a hand full of strings and 2 dozen arrows .we where a 27 hour drive home and i wanted to make sure we had supply's.even a set of peep sites just to be safe.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
M&M

Post by M&M »

have you gotten ahold of excalibur yet? and what did they tell ya?
M&M
lupien

Post by lupien »

M&M wrote:have you gotten ahold of excalibur yet? and what did they tell ya?

Not yet cause im at work but i`ll try to get a hold of them during my lunch break or something. I`ll keep you all posted.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have no doubt they will take care of you just interested in what they think caused the limb to break
M&M
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its odd, the claw is down, but the string flung off the bow. Its strange that the end of the string would pull through the closed claw, not impossible , but strange. What are the scratches on the bow by the claw caused from? I bet if you had contacted excalibur you would have had a set of new limbs by now! They are very reasonable folks, and rest assured that limb failure is NOT common with the excaliburs. This is the first Ive heard of.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
lupien

Post by lupien »

one shot scott wrote:Its odd, the claw is down, but the string flung off the bow. Its strange that the end of the string would pull through the closed claw, not impossible , but strange. What are the scratches on the bow by the claw caused from? I bet if you had contacted excalibur you would have had a set of new limbs by now! They are very reasonable folks, and rest assured that limb failure is NOT common with the excaliburs. This is the first Ive heard of.
I`m not sure about the scratches. i look at it closer tonight. I think it looks worst because of the flash. The crossbow looks in rough shape in the pictures but it not dings and scratched its mostly dirt, mud and branch sracthes (which come off when you rub it..sappy stuff I guess)
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Have to ask, is it possible you (or someone) accidently scored the limb at the point of the break sometime earlier, possibly days, even weeks before? Something that stands out in your mind that could have been the root cause of this?

Anyways, Excal won't care either way, they'll just fix you up and be done with it. Sorry your hunt was ruined.
In the Wind.......