ground level with a 8pt snort wheezing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

ground level with a 8pt snort wheezing

Post by crazyfarmer »

Tonight I had the best experience of my life hunting. I had setup on a white oak ridge and only had a doe walk by at last light in the woods so I headed out to the field. Keep in mind it gets dark about 15-20mins earlier in the woods here. I get to the field and a 4pt bolts out into the field where I had spooked him. He was uneasy but not at me. I looked off to my right and saw antlers. First thought was shooter! I calmed myself and got the binos up to check since I'm very funny about what I want to take since its 3 months of season left here. He was a nice 8pt. About 20inches wide. I knew him well from trail camera pictures all summer. He's a 2.5 year old and has ALOT of potential on my farm. I debated the shot over and over since he was standing 32 yards out in the field. He had no clue I was standing right at the edge of the field lerking and waiting. He was mine at any point but I couldnt bring myself to shoot him. He started walking away and the second guessing had begun. He was a dandy, but I know whats in this woods and he isnt ready yet. Granted I may never see him again, but if he makes it he will be a BEAST next year. Now this is when the experience of my life begins. The buck was 50 yards out in the soybean field now sparring with the spike I had bumped. I had jo way to leave since he was between me and my truck so I said I would try something. I pulled out the flew tone grunter and grunted twice. He pinpointed me. I thought he would know something wasnt right but this is when it takes a strange turn. He turned towards me and started digging at the ground making a scrape. Beans were flying over his shoulder. I thought this is interesting. He's mad! Let me try a snort wheeze. I didnt have a call so I did this with my mounth. Wasnt perfect but boy did it get a reaction. The buck hunched up and walked right at me to within 30 yards again. Then he stopped in his tracks looking right into my eyes. He spread his front legs and stretched his neck out towards me. He snort wheezed right into my face at 30 yards. Then pawwed the dirt again. He was raging mad and ready for a fight. I snort wheezed back and he then circled within 20 yards to my right and stopped to rake the beans with his antlers and scrape more. I wheezed once more and he wheezed right back. Ive never heard one do this and to have this happening with my just standing in the edge of a field 20-30 yards from this guy was unreal. I will never forget this moment in my life. I could have taken this guy any second, but what I saw and learned from this will last forever.

here he is on trail camera early this year... Its not easy letting this guy walk but I have a lot of season left and a few days from now I wouldnt have been happy with my choice to take him. There is nothing like the outdoors. Each and every hunt is different.

PABOWDUDE60

Re: ground level with a 8pt snort wheezing

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

CF, He is a shooter in my area. I don't think I would have let him pass. But then I guess that's why you shoot some hogs! All the land I have to hunt is public except up in back of my buddies house.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I think in the long run you will be happy with your decision. As you said it is a long season.

Is Virginia a one buck state?
weezy

Post by weezy »

Cool experience.I guess its time to start using some calls more regular now?
From what i've seen here in Ohio their showing rut activity earlier than usual this year.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Great story, thanks for sharing with us.

BTW, that's a nice buck. Like you said, if he makes it, he'll be a Hoss next year!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Thanks everyone. If I didnt get a chance to get a good look at him it may be different. Im just finally started taking my time more and looking first. He's a shooter here for though, but maybe a 120ish score buck. He's got excellent genes right now. Its 3-4 more in that woods that are worth waiting for. Its nothing like passing a buck. You go from extreme high, to low, then high again LOL. Walking away from me he looked much bigger.

as for calls, I just judged by his behavior. He was sparring and showing aggression towards the smaller buck. This guys a fighter at a young age. He just hasnt gotten ahold of his elders yet to put him in his place. This is a sign the pre rut isnt far off. My father will hunt this farm also so if he waks by him it will be a different story. He's a big deer for my dad. I will have no trouble at all letting him take this guy even though I hope he makes it. Problem will come during the general season here when the woods is loaded with hunters and dogs are running deer. Never know, this guy could run by a young kid and be their biggest buck ever. Size is in the eye of the beholder 8)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

It stories like this that make hunting so addictive!

You've got alot of restraint CF! Thats one fine deer!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Crazyfarmer aka "Deer Whisperer". 8)
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
t-bilt

Post by t-bilt »

Really cool experience! You are right, this buck being this active this early in the season...he will be a rabid buck when the rut really kicks in. I don't think I would want to be on the ground and test him when he is in full swing with the rut on. He may not be so friendly as to circle at 20 yards. :shock:

It would be interesting to catch him on the game camera toward the end of the rut. With his aggression I'd bet he will get a little broken up in the bone department.

I've let many 10's walk in an effort to spread good genes. I wish more folks would be more selective when it comes to bucks and fill the freezer with Does'. It pays to balance the heard. In Tennessee where I live the heard is tied to oak acorn production. We have limited food sources to support the heard. The Does really impact the heard by gobbling up the available food. I applaud your restraint in letting him breed. If he makes 3 1/2 years he will be a real shooter and will have passed on the right stuff :wink:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cool story CF. In my early days of bow hunting, I had stalked to within 30 yards of a very nice 8 point. I shot and he jumped, the arrow went under him. Not sure if he jumped over the arrow or if I missed low. Anyway, this pissed the buck off, he ran about 50 yards and lowered his head into a young pine tree and tore it up. Snorted a couple of times and ran off. I've never seen anything like it since.

It is funny how they will react sometimes. When they are feeling their oats, they are not scared of anything . . .not even you. :shock: Crazy deer, will not last through November. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

What an amazing encounter! Good thing that buck didn't give ya a beat-down! :shock:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

EQUINOXHNTERVA wrote:Crazyfarmer aka "Deer Whisperer". 8)
HaaHaaHaa!! Now that's funny!! :D
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Great story CF, I dont think I could have restrained myself if he was at twenty yards. That must of taken some will power!
Crispy
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Crispy wrote:Great story CF, I dont think I could have restrained myself if he was at twenty yards. That must of taken some will power!

A lot... one reason I love hunting :lol: :lol: Its nothing like being that close to a buck like that.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I am sure you had as big of a rush with this experience as you would have if you harvested him :!: Hunting is about participating in nature and connecting with it and that is just what you did.
Cool story I am glad you told it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.