no blood

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

no blood

Post by masboy »

well my son and i have shot three deer all good hits with boltcutters killed all three one went 30yds. one 40yds. one 100yds. but hardley no blood don,t know if the small cut of 1 inch has something to do with? ready for some blood to follow .i now shoot 2114 super slams 110 gr.brass insert and 100 gr. 4 blade muzzys hav,nt shot deer with them yet .but don,t want to shoot exspandables.would like to stay with 100 gr. head because arrows are flying great practice points and broadheads hitting same poi. out to 60yds.will be hunting hard starting end of this month big boys will be roaming.i like fix blade broadheads .don,t like with all those little blades. i want some cut don,t know if i can get from 100gr. head.just don,t want to shoot big old tough buck and not have blood to follow.
SPITFIRE

Re: no blood

Post by SPITFIRE »

try the rage bh. it's like throwing an ax through the animal. SO THEY TELL ME.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Asking a ? here, where did you hit all 3 of those tick toters ? hole location. I shot a 6 pt with them couple yrs ago trying them out. Buck was bleeding fairly good at about the 20 yd mark. I watched him run, got down from stand went over got my arrow bloody. It was all done in a few min. he went about 50 yds
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Here is a blood trail from a doe i shot with the 100gr spitfire mechanical head!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
masboy

Post by masboy »

all three shot behind front shoulder right above heart all shot from high tree stand just odd almost no blood from any of the deer
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You reckon it had to fill the chest cavity up before dripping or spraying the blood ? I was 20' high when i shot mine. I found the blood sign about 20 yds from where i shot him & he bled well from there to where he went down. Was there alot of fat around the exit hole ? They maynot be what yer looking fer. Some real good coc BH's out there. Montec G5 & Strikers, Slick tricks razor-tricks
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You need to try some Slick Tricks, they are built like a tank, fly great and make a mark.
Expendables, I use Rocket Hammerheads, big holes, only one shot per head though.
Slick Tricks and don't look back.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Shot a buck Monday evening with a Wac'Em Exit (4 blade fixed replaceable blade head - 1 1/16 cutting diameter), and he went 31 yards. Shot him at about 19 yards from a 15' ladder stand. Hit about 1/3rd of the way up tight to the front leg and exited through the skin of the leg on the off side. Not much of an exit hole through the leg skin, but I had drops of blood all the way from where he was standing when I shot, and after 10 yards it looked like this -
blood trail.JPG
You can see the exit hole in this pic (and it's just as it was when he fell - I didn't wipe away any blood)
8ptbuck.JPG
Didn't get a pic of the entry wound, but it was pouring blood!
Look behind him at the ground in this pic. :wink:
wabi
masboy

Post by masboy »

was not much of exit hole ishot the buck 35yds. broadside did not even run just flinched and looked around for acouple seconds then troted to edge of woods just stoped there for couple more seconds thought i missed heard loud crack when bow went off thought mabey bow limb hit white oak tree i was sitting in 1st. deer with crossbow went down no blood nowhere looked all over no blood no deer no arrow went in morning same no blood ,deer,arrow son went down found arrow in field where shot had blood on it no blood on ground he found deer down in briars 50 yards in i,m half stupid got lyme des. don,t think right be off work three months so i been huntig a lot between hospital ,doctor visits almost to stupid to hunt but got to do something, nice buck cograts. that broadhead done its job,
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

I have tried all kind of fixed head and mechanicals including rage 2 and 3 blade and have had hits with all of them that did not leave much blood the best advice I can give is to shoot low in the rib cage, think of the rib cage as a bucket of water you shoot a hole in the top and no water
runs out you shoot a hole in the middle and you get more you shoot close to the bottom and you get it all.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

Have you ever tried the spitfire mechanical broadhead? The only broadhead, that I now of that you can take your field point off and put the broadhead on with no adjusting scope. It also has a 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter, have not lost a deer yet. I am so confident of this product , ive named my user name after it!!!!! :D :D :D
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

masboy wrote:well my son and i have shot three deer all good hits with boltcutters killed all three one went 30yds. one 40yds. one 100yds. but hardley no blood don,t know if the small cut of 1 inch has something to do with? ready for some blood to follow .i now shoot 2114 super slams 110 gr.brass insert and 100 gr. 4 blade muzzys hav,nt shot deer with them yet .but don,t want to shoot exspandables.would like to stay with 100 gr. head because arrows are flying great practice points and broadheads hitting same poi. out to 60yds.will be hunting hard starting end of this month big boys will be roaming.i like fix blade broadheads .don,t like with all those little blades. i want some cut don,t know if i can get from 100gr. head.just don,t want to shoot big old tough buck and not have blood to follow.
You know, I've had the same thoughts about the Slick Trick 100 grain Magnums I started using this year! Very little blood!

Although two of the deer I hit were high hits, the first one was just about perfect and it took quite a while to find the first blood.

Funny, my Cousin and I were talking last night and this year was the first year for him and his son's to use Slick Tricks. They complained of the same thing. Little blood after making good hits.

I'm used to using HellRazors and T-heads in the 100 and 125 grain flavors with my recurve and Compound bow. Never had a problem with any of them producing blood.

I think a lot of it may have to do with how short these broadheads are compared to traditional heads. Too bad those traditional heads don't fly well when shot out of my Axiom!

Another thing, check your blades. I've found quite a few on my Slick Tricks that were a little less sharp than what I thought they should be. I check ever blade now and hone them razor sharp if they need it.

Just got some Razor Tricks in and will be testing them soon. I'm hoping for a lot more blood from these, but in reality they have the same cutting diameter as my 100 grain Magnums. We'll see!

I guess after this, I'll probably field test the Grizz Tricks.

Don't want to shoot mechanicals if I don't have too. Just don't have the same confidence in them as I do fixed BH's. There's just too many horror stories still being produced of premature openings, lack of openings, lack of penetration, broken blades, etc.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
catcher

Post by catcher »

Here is what a 4 blade wasp 100 grain bh did to a coyote last winter , he ran full tilt after the shot and sprayed it everywhere untill he finally leaked out just before he hit the tree line.

Here is a trail from a buck I shot last December and he also was throttles down after the shot and he sprayed it everywhere as well. Same type BH. 100 grain wasp four blade.

Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings