Setup for Bison Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Setup for Bison Hunt

Post by nchunterkw »

I scheduled a Bison hunt in NE for Dec 2012 and am looking for some advice/opinions on a good setup for that awesome animal.

The outfitters does archery hunts for Bison all the time but has never had any taken with a crossbow, so hopefully I wil be the first. He told me he would probably limit the shot to about 35 yards.

I've been hunting with a crossbow for about 15 years (Horton Legend SL), but this year after yet another bout of "maintenance" I got fed up and bought an Excalibur Vortex. Wow, what a difference. I will never go back to a compound crossbow. I shot a nice heavy bodied 10 pointer this year in OH, and the Vortex performed great.

I am currently shooting Rage 2 blade, 100 grain heads on top of Horton Carbon Strike bolts, with the stock half moon stocks. I know this is not optimal, but I have a bunch of these bolts and broadheads and did not want to just toss them......although I might sell them when I sell the Horton. I do not plan to shoot this combo going forward. I switched to mechanicals after many bouts with accuracy out of the Horton, but I prefer fixed blades. I have also been playing around with all sorts of combos from stuff I have collected over the years. Messing with FOC, broadhead tuning - you name it.

My initial thought for the bison hunt is:
replace the Excel string with a Fast Flight or Boo string
Excalibur Boltcutter 150 grain broadhead
20" Firebolt
but I am wondering if this arrow is just a bit on the light side.

I am an engineer by trade - so I am not afraid of excruciating details (OK so I kind of like it. I say "detail -oriented" but my wife has another word for it), so bring on the setups and steps for achieving killer accuracy. I'll test what I can and report results as I get them.

Thanks everyone in advance and Merry Christmas!!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
one shot scott

Re: Setup for Bison Hunt

Post by one shot scott »

That sounds like a heck of a hunt you have booked! I wont dare offer any advice as to what combo may be best for ya since i have never taken one myself..just wanted to say Welcome to the forum man! The vortex you have is a very low maitenance machine
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Thanks Scott! I can't believe tell you how much more I like te Vortex than the Hortons. I'm a total convert. Had a new string put on one of my Horton's this year and on about the 15th pull back it blew up in my hands. I was very lucky I didn't get hurt and no flying pieces hit anyone else. That was the last straw.

I shot a bison last year with a rifle. They are an awesome animal and TASTE GREAT! You really have to see one up close to truly appreciate all that they are. I figure a setup good for moose would work, but I also think the bones are stronger.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I shot one in Tx a few years ago, same platform as yours. 20 yds, 440ish total weight arrow at 295-300 fps.
Slick Trick mag 100 gr bhead. Arrow went in between two ribs and cut one in half on offside. Stuck out 3" on offside.

If I ever go again I'd [a] use same setup get more hamburger made!

Good luck on your hunt.
"Eze 18:21"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

awshucks....that makes me feel better. Those ribs are my main concern. Nice to hear you busted one. The carbon Firebolts with a 150 gr head only puts me around 415gr. total wt. I was thinking of trying some Carbon Express Magnum Hunter bolts, but I gotta check out the weight.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D
I've never shot a critter with my x-bow bigger than a 200lb boar hog...but i know Bill T has killed some big ones with boltcutters & firebolts :D so my guess is you should be fine.
You may want to be careful using half moon nocks, excal recommends flat only...string may slip over/under the arrow. :(
Good luck on your hunt!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
tman74

Post by tman74 »

hankenhunter wrote:Welcome to the forum! Check out the video of Bill T. dropping an elephant with his Excal on you tube. That should help. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJokpxvMmvA
Copy and paste.
Happy Holidays,
Hank

There's also another video of Bill T. on a Bison hunt as well.

http://www.backwoodstv.com/play.php?vid=142
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Moon nocks w/ an Excal mean you just have to pay a little more attention than you might be used to w/ flat nocks.

As for bigger game, on the elephant, Bill used a 900 gr arrow set up and stock Emax.

My 440ish arrow was an older Gt, nla, [+25 gr]w/ wrap [+ 10 gr] total: 35 gr more than 'new' Gt's.

Imho, the answer to those ribs is more weight than new Gt's or Firebolts provide w/ 100 gr points.

If/when I run out of the 'old' doz customs I got years ago [gettin close] I'll go to new Gt's, w/ 2" Blazers and 125 gr slicks, fwiw.
"Eze 18:21"