Has the IBEX been replaced?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

foofoo

Re: Has the IBEX been replaced?

Post by foofoo »

i can say after using the axiom for a season it is very light and swings the nicest in a tree stand out of all my Excalibur xbows. doesnt feel cheap to me :D .aerodynamic if anything. if you wanna get a 175 aluminum ibex theres plenty out there. took me less than an hour to convert a vixen rail to a thumbhole.i guess if one wants a aluminum rail 175 thumbhole in the future its still possible with a little tapping and grinding.
Last edited by foofoo on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

Since the Phoenix is still currently being offered, I feel they could have kept the Ibex aluminum (since all parts are the same) and still produced the SMF model for that price market they are trying to capture. Like many of you have already said, give the option. Maybe someone from Excal will explain the reasoning.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Cat power wrote:Since the Phoenix is still currently being offered, I feel they could have kept the Ibex aluminum (since all parts are the same) and still produced the SMF model for that price market they are trying to capture. Like many of you have already said, give the option. Maybe someone from Excal will explain the reasoning.
All parts ain't the same, the thumbhole stocks don't fit pistol grip rails or vice versa, and there's a diff in triggers too.
"Eze 18:21"
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Archers nook in London Ontario has one aluminum rail Ibex left in stock just in case anyone in SW Ontario want's one. Did I mention I am really glad I bought one of these last season & will hang on to it for a very long time?
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Cat power wrote:Since the Phoenix is still currently being offered, I feel they could have kept the Ibex aluminum (since all parts are the same) and still produced the SMF model for that price market they are trying to capture. Like many of you have already said, give the option. Maybe someone from Excal will explain the reasoning.
What's all the questions about? If your friend wants one with the aluminum rail why doesn't he buy one. Lots still around. :shock:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The same things were said about the axiom when it changed to the synthetic rail. The biggest problem with composit rail is that people are brainwashed into thinking aluminum is "tougher"

Don't know for sure, but I would bet money it's just as good, if not better.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Synthetics are the new kid on the block.
Aluminum has been around for a very long time.

Will a synthetic rail be as good after it is 5 years old??

When I look at compound crossbows, most use a lot of plastic. Seems like more and more every year. I also see that most of them don't age very well.

What I do know is that I like what I have and will continue the with same.
Those who want synthetic, then go for it.

Maybe I'm stuck in a rut............I like my rut.
I still prefer the original stock. :mrgreen:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

My 3 cents might not mean much but here it is anyway,I think the people at Excalibur know what they are doing and why better than we do and im sure they welcome the feedback so they can try to please the customers now and in the future,If they didnt then they would have failed long time ago.Im sure they know they cant please everyone ...I mean look their is people making custom strings and stocks and even Quiver mounts to be placed on top so why cant you if your not happy with the new rail to make your own to fit your liking? I bet if Excalibur made crossbows like a few would like to see it would cost 2000.00 and upward ...how many would sell then? How long would they be in bussiness? (2000.00 is just an example)
TPM

Post by TPM »

The biggest problem with composite rail is that people are brainwashed into thinking aluminum is "tougher"

Don't know for sure, but I would bet money it's just as good, if not better.
Yup, that's a big problem. The term "cheap plastic" is pretty ingrained in our culture. Historically that was often the case but modern day plastics and synthetics are light years ahead of what they were 25 years ago in terms of strength and durability. Modern plastics are used for a lot tougher industrial applications than a crossbow rail. I would be willing to bet the SMF rails made today will still be going strong 25 years from now. I don't think Excal would be offering a lifetime warranty on them if they thought they would fail any time soon.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I currently shoot a Exomag with aluminum rail.
I simply stated my preference and why.

I am not interested in dissuading anyone from buying a synthetic crossbow.
You will not change my mind in my choice either.

This is my last post on the matter.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

My post about being "brainwashed" was a generalization. It wasn't aimed directly at you Ont Excal, although I can see why you may have taken it that way. My apologies. Your opinion is as important as anyone elses here.

I work in the automotive trade and there is alot of composite material being used now where alloys were once used. I'm sure Excalibur is able to build a bow equal in strength to the aluminum rail by using composite and still manage to keep manufacturing costs down. I used to think that the only negative was the looks of the "plastic" but that new ibex has changed my mind. The only way these new rails are going to get any respect is with the test of time. And I don't think they would put their name on it if they were any less than 100% sure about it.

But that's just this hosers opinion :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Maybe instead of using the word synthetic , use glass filled synthetic polymer . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

Xbowkiller wrote: What's all the questions about? If your friend wants one with the aluminum rail why doesn't he buy one. Lots still around. :shock:
4 pages and you think this is only about my friend's new bow? really?
TPM

Post by TPM »

It is not my intent to persuade anyone one way or another nor to tick anyone off and I apologize if that's the case. For the benefit of the newer forum members, we went through all this a year ago when the Axiom came out.
A lot of perspective buyers use this forum as a source of information when deciding which bow to buy and when I see comments accusing Excal of cheapening their bows for the sake of profit and speculating that these inovations constitute a downfall in Excal quality I feel the need to chime in as this is simply not true. There was a need to expand their product line to include a more affordable bow and I think they did an excellent job of addressing this need without comprimising the integrity of their product. I don't always like some of the decisions Excal makes in their product line either ( I would like to see more non camo stuff) but I understand that they have to look at the big picture and that my personal preferences aren't always what sells.
Sure, you'll find that most of the die-hard fans will likely go for the aluminum rail over the SMF but that doesn't make the SMF junk.
Last edited by TPM on Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Doe Master wrote:Maybe instead of using the word synthetic , use glass filled synthetic polymer . :)
Kevin, they should move you into marketing. :wink: :D

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger