Firebolts made for 150gr. broadheads?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

Firebolts made for 150gr. broadheads?????

Post by Bullzeye »

I got some Firebolts with my Exocet 200 package, and they came with 150gr. field points. Now yesterday I decided to pick up three more Firebolts, and also a pack of 100gr. field points. A guy who was also buying arrows saw me with the 100gr. field tips and asked me if I was going to hunt with 100gr. broadheads. I said yes I planned on trying the X-Act mechanicals from Excalibur. He told me the carbon Firebolts were made to go with 150gr. broadheads.

Is this true????
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
LongCarbine

Re: Firebolts made for 150gr. broadheads?????

Post by LongCarbine »

Bullzeye wrote:I got some Firebolts with my Exocet 200 package, and they came with 150gr. field points. Now yesterday I decided to pick up three more Firebolts, and also a pack of 100gr. field points. A guy who was also buying arrows saw me with the 100gr. field tips and asked me if I was going to hunt with 100gr. broadheads. I said yes I planned on trying the X-Act mechanicals from Excalibur. He told me the carbon Firebolts were made to go with 150gr. broadheads.

Is this true????

I don't think they are "made only" for 150 gr.They should shoot fine with the X-Acts . Field pts. and mechicals are no problem with light arrows like firebolts or a 2213. But I found out from alot of testing a 15%+ F.O.C is harder to get with the lighter arrows which is more importain with fix blades I.M.O. I shoot firebolts w/brass inserts and 125 gr. fix ,my friend shoots fire bolts w/ 125 gr. muzzys and both of us can shoot any mech. with no trouble . I will say we both refletched with blazers .But like anything else that shoots an arrow or bullet you will have to find a combo that works for you , thats what keeps all the sporting goods stores open.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
taz3

Post by taz3 »

The advertising video shows them on the firebolts and no mention that they shouldn't, but that not to say they shouldn't either. I would think they would work better with the lighter carbon bolt then an aluminum bolt.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

A 150 gr head with a Firebolt just gives you a higher FOC than a 100 gr head will. You can shoot Firebolts with 100 gr heads from your Excal as they exceed the 350 grain minumum. Never shhot an arrow that weighs less than 350 grains from an Excal.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I hunt w/my firebolts useing 100 grain Muzzy three blade and have had very good luck w/them, Shots from 9yds. to 32 yds. all shots were heart shots,
But i practice religeously w/my broadheads, so i know how my EQUINOX shoots And i practice from all angles and distances. Really pays off in the long run.
But i'm thinking of trying 150 grain bolt cutter heads and see if i like them better.

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
taz3

Post by taz3 »

nchunterkw wrote:A 150 gr head with a Firebolt just gives you a higher FOC than a 100 gr head will. You can shoot Firebolts with 100 gr heads from your Excal as they exceed the 350 grain minumum. Never shhot an arrow that weighs less than 350 grains from an Excal.
With that said, the Firebolts are 266.97 grains, so a 100 grain X-act should keep it within the minimum 350 grain tolerances. I'll be purchasing X-act BH's, but I wont be able to try them until I buy a new target. :(
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
wabi

Post by wabi »

The fixed blade heads often shoot better with increased FOC, so the extra weight accomplishes that goal.
The mechanicals don't require as much FOC because they don't try to steer the arrow off course.
They (the 100gr mechanicals) should be fine for you.
wabi
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Ok, I feel better now, thanks everyone. That guy at the store got me all messed up. I have not even had time to shoot my new X-bow, but wanted to get everything ready for when I have the time to shoot. Just need to run across the border and pick up a Rinehart 18-1 one of these days and I will be all set.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone