Safety Lock Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

colder13

Safety Lock Question

Post by colder13 »

Hello All,

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks, just joined a few days ago.

I would like to get some opinions about the safety lock with the tradiional vs. thumbhole stocks.

I am new to crossbows and am totally sold on Excalibur. I am looking to get a 175 pounder and feel this could be a factor in my decision. I find the traditional to be more aesthetically pleasing and thinks it looks like a more natural motion to turn off the safety.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

colder13
chopfather

Re: Safety Lock Question

Post by chopfather »

I personally like the look and feel of the thumbhole stock but it really just comes down to personal preference. My wife has a thumbhole stock on her vixen and she has no problem with the safety even with small hands so I don't think using the safety with either type of stock will be that big of an issue for you.
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

although i prefer the feel of the thumbhole stock the motion needed to disengage the saftey (having to release the grip) to me is not worth the trade off, just my prefernce which ever way you decide you'll be happy with an excal :D

cheers
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
roly

Post by roly »

I really like the feel of my thumbhole stock

I have never got used to the safety but have learned
to live with it.

That being said I still won't part with my Equinox
colder13

Post by colder13 »

Thanks for the speedy replies.
bigsy wrote:although i prefer the feel of the thumbhole stock the motion needed to disengage the saftey (having to release the grip)
DO you have to completely remove your grip?

By looking at it I figured it was more of a thumb dance out of the thumbhole and over and around to to get it.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

You do have to pretty much release your grip, but not hard to reacquire. To tell you the truth when it's "go time" i don't even remember doing it. If i have time & see the animal coming i just use my other hand.
Good luck & keep us posted on which one you get.
Oh yea...WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

for me it is a smoother operation(to release the grip, while still holding stock), my thumbhole mossberg has the safety in the same spot and find the safety a pain(not the end of the world mind you), but with my exomax only have to move my thumb, again just my preference

cheers
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
Driften

Post by Driften »

I tried both at the store and it is easier on the traditional stock to hit the safety, but like the thumbhole stock feel much better so when that way and got the new Ibex. Its not as much of an issue as it seems when you are just shouldering them and not shooting them. After a few shots you don't even think about it. So get what feels best and points best. I think that is the bigger issue then the safety access.
2012 Ibex SMF
wabi

Post by wabi »

I prefer the traditional stock.

For me reaching the safety with a thumb-hole stock requires I release my grip enough that I shift the bow off target. With the traditional stock I can watch the target (deer) with the safety ON and then easily move it to OFF if I decide to shoot.

With guns with a safety in the trigger guard the thumb-hole works just fine, but I'll stick with the old style for anything like the Excalibur.
wabi
colder13

Post by colder13 »

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking Phoenix or Axiom now. Read so many great things about both, but am leaning towards spending the extra $200 for the Phoenix Lite Stuff @ Gagnon's.
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

colder13 wrote: I am thinking Phoenix or Axiom now. Read so many great things about both.
Hey Colder13, welcome to the forum & which ever Excal you purchase you will be happy with, I purchased an Axiom & couldn't be happier. Good luck,
Hoagy
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

i also have the axiom, i bought a few accessories for it and it looks great and shoots sweet. good luck on you bow.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
WilliamLockhart

Post by WilliamLockhart »

Does anyone out there have a J-lock Key (also called ISS key) they are willing to part with?
I found out the hard way you can lock the safety without a key, but you can't unlock it without a key. Thanks.
[url=http://www.hollywoodlocksmith.org]Locksmith in Hollywood FL[/url]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

WilliamLockhart wrote:Does anyone out there have a J-lock Key (also called ISS key) they are willing to part with?
I found out the hard way you can lock the safety without a key, but you can't unlock it without a key. Thanks.
Have no idea what you're talking about, but welcome to the best xbow forum on the 'net :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

WilliamLockhart wrote:Does anyone out there have a J-lock Key (also called ISS key) they are willing to part with?

JUST MORE SPAMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"