Best Sling for an Excalibur Axiom?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gigahertz21

Best Sling for an Excalibur Axiom?

Post by Gigahertz21 »

I just purchased an Axiom as my first crossbow and wanted to know what everybody uses for a sling or is there a better way to carry it? I want to be able to carry my Axiom comfortably while I walk miles through the woods here in Colorado.

I did a forum search and found the 2 links below, but they are older posts from 2011 and 2010 so I wanted to see what people have to say now. From the 2 links below, the "CLAW" crossbow sling seems to be well liked while the official sling sold by Excalibur had complaints of being too noisy because of the nylon material and too short. There are also dozens of reviews of the Claw crossbow sling on the Cabela's website and everybody seems to like it. So I'm probably going to get the Claw sling unless someone here has another suggestion?

Can't wait to shoot my Axiom, I should get it in the mail this week :D

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ng#p367291
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ng#p330725
Last edited by Gigahertz21 on Tue May 15, 2012 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Re: Best Sling for an Excalibur Axiom?

Post by Raymond »

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to one of the friendliest and best forums on the net. This is just my opinion and preference but I like to keep my Excalibur Equinox with as much authentic Excalibur parts as I can.
Thank You,
Raymond
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

i have a axiom too. and love it. it came with a sling, an excalibur one, and it fits me fine and not loud at all.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
wayne

Post by wayne »

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF EXCALIBUR :D :D :D

I tried the excal sling, found it built very well, but did fined it to make alittle to much sound & on longer walks it slips around alittle to much on my shoulder for me. IMHO

Bought a claw, and really like it, tends to stay where put on shoulder on long walks, more so then the others I tried. That rubber type stuff it's made from, seems to hold it in place on my shoulder very well.

On short walks I don't use a sling, just put the bow on top of my shoulder.

When walking with bow on shoulder using a sling I like to keep my bow cocked, with no arrow on rail, really helps in brush

Thats what seems to work the best for me, so far.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

The Excal sling is made from nylon I think. I had one once and it just seemed "cheap". It was noisy and I just didn't care for it.

Then I bought the CLAW. It's a good sling but I have to watch the screws that hold it to the studs as they tend to back off easily. More than once I've been walking through the woods when all of a sudden the Axiom takes a nose dive to the ground because one of these screws had backed out without me noticing it. Now I check them nearly every hunt.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Gigahertz21

Post by Gigahertz21 »

Thanks guys for the info, is there a suggested way of installing the Claw sling to an Excalibur Axiom or is there only one way to do it? I wouldn't need to drill any holes or anything like that right?
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I have not even looked into getting a sling yet, I just figured I would take one off one of my rifles, or is a crossbow sling somehow different than a rifle sling??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Made my own out of paracord, like the look and it works for me.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Sopchoppy wrote:Made my own out of paracord, like the look and it works for me.

How many feet did it take , about 80 - 90 ft ???
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Has anyone noticed how Bill T carries his Excals? I've found his method[bow over shoulder, limbs in front, vertical] to be the best answer for me.

That being said, I have a sling on my xbows just for off hand shooting........
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Im happy with the stock sling, but don't get to use it very often. I usually have something else on my back, blind during turkey season and my climber during deer.
A person who could make a comfortable sling for a crossbow would do very well for himself.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Michael.stogre

Post by Michael.stogre »

I have been using an accelerator sling by Browning
on my phoenix. It works well for me. I like wrapping
it around my forearm for added support when shooting off hand--especially at 3d shoots.

MJS
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Bullzeye wrote:
Sopchoppy wrote:Made my own out of paracord, like the look and it works for me.

How many feet did it take , about 80 - 90 ft ???
Sorry about delayed response, have'nt been on in a while. A 40" sling will take about 88 feet doing a Wide Solomon Bar weave.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I had thought about making a paracord one for my rifle last year since I had a few hundred feet laying around, but was worried it would be a bit slippery. Do you find it grips to your jacket ok?? I bought too much when the kids wanted survival lanyards and bracelets and am trying to find something to make with the balance of paracord I have. I think the black reflective cord would be nice for a sling.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I don't find it any more slippery than a regular nylon sling. I have one on all my rifles, some are long enough to put one arm and my head through the sling and carry crossed on my back. That way, the rifle is snug against my back and does'nt move. When just over the shoulder, I grip the sling. I've made quite a few for friends and not had any slipping comments. Actually made one 54" long for one of my "portly" friends. I told him it took a half a mile of cord. :lol:
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone