wraps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

wraps

Post by jody5252 »

ok want the whole truth about wraps on x-bow arrows! pros and cons! tired of having gobbs of glue on my arrows. quick dry glues seem to brittle.having to refletch arrows frequently from arrow removal. i use easton power bolts. i do know that wraps will get scratched up from the rail, however WILL it affect accuracy, even slightly?? i hear different results, so i thought i would ask the experts... thank you for the input...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
xbowkidd

Re: wraps

Post by xbowkidd »

never had a problem with wraps affecting accuracy, i would say the only down side of them is when its time to take them off.
Team Dryfire
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Even though they make the arrows look cool I don't use them anymore.

My experience was...
Pros- they were easy to apply, vanes and feathers stuck good and as I said they looked cool. They didn't seen to effect the POI of my XX75 2117 either.
Cons- I wanted to save some weight and didn't use the clear overlays. The wraps by themselves wore very quickly where they laid in the channel, they also left plastic residue all the way down the channel that was a pain to get off. They took a lot more time to remove as opposed to removing 3 individual vanes.

I decided they were more trouble than they were worth.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Wraps don't affect my accuracy, they do leave some residue on the rail but no big deal. When i need to remove them i just soak them in acetone for about a minute and they come off fairly easy. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

I buy mine from onestringer.com Mindy is the lady that owns it. I use the wrap plus a double dogg protector then I use gorilla glue blue top super glue for my blazers. I have had no problems with accuracy what so ever, the few extra grains of weight from the wraps is very minimal.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Don't worry about a little wrap build-up on the rail at the point of contact.
Just leave it and there will be less wear with subsequent arrows.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Used wraps at one point then stopped them. Lose a fletch and you need a new wrap and then all new fletchings. Now I just put fletchings right on arrow and if I damage one I can just change one fletching.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Tried wraps, even sprayed-on lacquer cresting, back to plain fletching. Sure they look great when new but soon loose their luster. Get scratched by rail, just one vane crinkled at bit and it's an entire re-do to correct it. Removal is messy and time consuming. Pretty is as pretty does. Shooting three bows and some 5 dozen arrows, omitting wraps leaves more time for shooting.
Last edited by Cossack on Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Don't use wraps because I don't like the residue on the rail, or having to replace all 3 vanes if 1 gets damaged, or the added weight at the back of the arrow. I am going the other way, using Gateway Rayzr feathers (all 3 weigh 4.2grains). Had no problems fletching aluminum or carbon with vanes (use Gorilla glue - blue top) or feathers (use Gateway adhesive).
My method is;
strip old fletchings with razor knife
buff arrow with fine steel wool
clean arrow and fletch with isopropyl alcohol
fletch using Arizona EZ Bolt using adhesive shown above.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

Mark Rainbolt wrote:I buy mine from onestringer.com Mindy is the lady that owns it. I use the wrap plus a double dogg protector then I use gorilla glue blue top super glue for my blazers. I have had no problems with accuracy what so ever, the few extra grains of weight from the wraps is very minimal.
God Bless,
Mark
thank you mr. rainbolt. thinking of trying this. unfamiliar with double dogg protector. is this something that protects the wrap? i fletch all my arrows so i really do not mind having to strip/clean an arrow to refletch. also "blue top" gorilla glue, i have used gorilla glue for inserts, but not blue top. thank you and god bless, j. punt
Last edited by jody5252 on Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

nchunterkw wrote:Don't use wraps because I don't like the residue on the rail, or having to replace all 3 vanes if 1 gets damaged, or the added weight at the back of the arrow. I am going the other way, using Gateway Rayzr feathers (all 3 weigh 4.2grains). Had no problems fletching aluminum or carbon with vanes (use Gorilla glue - blue top) or feathers (use Gateway adhesive).
My method is;
can honestly say that i have never only refletched one vane back on an arrow. i use a bitzenburger with straight clamp jig. you still have an accurate arrow by doing it like that??
Last edited by jody5252 on Fri May 18, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

nchunterkw wrote:Don't use wraps because I don't like the residue on the rail, or having to replace all 3 vanes if 1 gets damaged, or the added weight at the back of the arrow. I am going the other way, using Gateway Rayzr feathers (all 3 weigh 4.2grains). Had no problems fletching aluminum or carbon with vanes (use Gorilla glue - blue top) or feathers (use Gateway adhesive).
My method is;
going to look up arizona ez bolt. have not heard of this. i clean shafts the same way you do. however i do use 4" vanes for x-bow, and feathers for vert. bow. while arrow weight is important, i do not see how a wrap would make that much of a difference. at normal shooting distances. thank you, your help is appreciated.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I just fletched up a bunch of Gold Tip Lazer II shafts. I put 6" wraps on the back from Onestringer, 2" Blazer vanes, aluminum backs, brass fronts, and 125 grain tips. My FOC was 19.35%, which is pretty high. I used the Arizona EZ Fletch jig designed for the Blazer vanes. It adds more of a helical to the vanes, giving the arrow more spin, which equates to a little better stability.

The point is, even if you use 4" vanes and wraps both, your FOC should still be up above about 12% or so, which is good (provided you have the additional weight up front, either from brass inserts or a heavy head). :wink:

I went with a lighter colored wrap so that I could follow my arrow better better in flight. My hunting arrows, I put Luminocks in the ends to remove all doubt, but I still like to keep in practice of being able to "watch" my arrow (even if it is a little white blur). :wink:

The thing is, you'll find people on here that have rifle scopes on their crossbows, some with crossbow scopes, and some with peep sights. Some will swear by eliminating as much weight as possible off of their bow (removing dissapator bars & S5), while others won't shoot without them. Others have the factory Excalibur stocks while some have custom wood stocks. Some swear by custom strings, while others love the factory Dacron strings. The list goes on and on.

The point is, the great thing about the Excalibur bows is that you can do quite a few things to them, and you can shoot different configurations with your arrows. What works for one, may not necessarily work for you. Try different things and see what you like. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Hey Jody,
Yes they protect the wrap, you get them a onestringer.com. I use gorilla blue top glue for fletching and inserts.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I got the 10" wraps from Onestringer.....cut 'em in half....a 5" wrap is plenty long enough and you get twice as many wraps.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone