Cocking your excal by hand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NonTypicalCPA

Cocking your excal by hand?

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

I've got an Exocet 200 that I use a rope cocker to draw. I've tried drawing the string by hand and I can't quite get it cocked (without pulling something). Being my first and only crossbow, I find the fun factor in shooting my excal a lot less enjoyable than my previous compound due to having to use the rope cocker. I was thinking of picking up a Vixen to have as a target bow (and a hunting bow for my kids), thinking that I could draw the 150lbs by hand, thus making for a more enjoyable shooting experience. Is there a significant difference between hand cocking the Vixen versus the Exocet 200?
houser52

Re: Cocking your excal by hand?

Post by houser52 »

I've had my Vortex for awhile and it's tough to cock by hand but can be done.

Even though I don't have a Vixen I recently got a 175# Ibex and it's a lot easier to cock by hand if I ever need to. I guess it's a combination of less weight and being a little shorter makes it easier to cock.

Cocking a 150# Vixen would be even easier.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
wabi

Post by wabi »

I think you'll find it isn't so much the weight, but the draw length that makes cocking the bigger Excals difficult.
I used to cock the old model Vixen all day long with no problem. Went to an Exocet (175#) and it became much more difficult to cock. Switched to a Phoenix (Exocet poundage with the old model Vixen draw length) and I could again cock it by hand. :)
As I get older I find myself using the rope cocking aid more frequently, though. :wink:
wabi
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i had back sugery in jan ihave a vortex. ihad a ten point crank put on. it works great . had it done at wyvern creations. bob
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I wish I could cock my Exocet by hand, but due to health issues I have to use the C2 cranking aid, but it would be so much quicker to just do it by hand. I try to bring a friend with a good back to shoot with me :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
rayman

Post by rayman »

I have found that when I cock my Axiom by hand, not only does my back hurt, but the string does not seem to line up correctly. Using the rope cocker it seems to line up good every time.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think for recreational shooting there are many reasons to buy an Apex. It is a pleasure to cock, it's super accurate, easy on strings, servings, arrows and targets. Plus it looks cool!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i have the axiom, and always use the rope cocker. my hands are too sensitve......
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Been shooting all Excaliburs since 1991 and didn't get my first rope cocker until six years ago. Didn't even know they existed till I joined this forum. Helps you stay in shape back then.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

rayman wrote:..... but the string does not seem to line up correctly. Using the rope cocker it seems to line up good every time.
That would be my main concern with cocking by hand. I used to have an old POS Barnett several years ago. I had the string marked on either side of the rail and would always have to reposition it to where it was centered after I cocked it by hand. Using the rope cocker or Crankaroo, you don't have to worry about string alignment. :wink:

Or you could just get a 225 lb model and make it so that you pretty much have to use a cocking aid, then it will be a moot point. :mrgreen:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
NonTypicalCPA

Post by NonTypicalCPA »

Thanks for the input. I know the alignment issue is there. I can work with that. I just wanted to know if it was possible with the Vixen. The apex won't work because I want a hunting bow as well for my kids.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I've got an Exocet 200 that I use a rope cocker to draw. I've tried drawing the string by hand and I can't quite get it cocked (without pulling something). Being my first and only crossbow, I find the fun factor in shooting my excal a lot less enjoyable than my previous compound due to having to use the rope cocker. I was thinking of picking up a Vixen to have as a target bow (and a hunting bow for my kids), thinking that I could draw the 150lbs by hand, thus making for a more enjoyable shooting experience. Is there a significant difference between hand cocking the Vixen versus the Exocet 200?
MATE YOU DONT HESITATE JUST PULL IT STRAIGHT UP WITH THE BIG POUNDAGE BOWS L'VE FOUND ITS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT..BUT THE LIGHTER POUNDAGE BOW IS A GREAT IDEA L'VE GOT A VIXEN & LOVE SHOOTING IT ALL DAY LONG NO WORRIES OR STRESS & NO ROPER COCKER EITHER...
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I cocked my old Exocet by hand for years. Didn't know about the rope cocker till I bought my Vortex a couple years ago. I can cock it by hand with out much difficulty but it's alot easier (and more consistent) to use the rope cocker.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I can cock the Vixen and hubby's Phoenix by hand... but letting them down is another matter. I can with the Vixen, but I'd rather use the rope cocker. The Phoenix I don't even want to try to let down by hand. But then, I'm a woman with less upper body strength than you guys.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I too found that cocking by hand is hard on the fingers. I would get temporary numbness in the tips of my fingers.

Once I got a routine using the rope cocker, then it seems natural and I can do it rather quickly. I like knowing it's cocked evenly too.

Of course, the Exomax is a beast to cock by hand . . .but, I cock my Vixen by rope too and it's fairly easy for me to cock by hand.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen