Arrow length

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bayman1975

Arrow length

Post by bayman1975 »

Looking around, I find that there are a couple of different lenghts of arrows for crossbows. The only length I've heard mentioned for the excalibur is 20". Has anybody tried shooting the 22" crossbow arrows in their Excalibur. I understand that there will be a spine difference. Just curious what people have tried. A couple inches in length would add a little to the overall weight, which would be ideal for me.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.
awshucks

Re: Arrow length

Post by awshucks »

20" is it for me. Read a post on AT awhile back by a guy called 'Moon' that said a 484 gr arrow was perfect for his Excal. Cobbled up a GT LII [all I had] to near that weight, and found it was basically true, but couldn't dial my scope in w/ it for even yardages.

To me, it's accuracy vs weight. I got my best groups at 50, 5 shots, varied from 1-1.5" YMMV.
"Eze 18:21"
masboy

Post by masboy »

I get my best acurracy with a 20 inch arrow with weighs of 475- 500 gr with a heavy foc between 15 - 20 percent and a lot of helix on 2 inch blazers and broadheads fly great.they are the most consistent for groups I,ve shot in the wind or no wind. these arrows are very forgiving and deadly accurate.
bayman1975

Post by bayman1975 »

Thanks guys. That answers my question. I was thinking 500 gr. would be a perfect hunting arrow for a crossbow. But, I'd prefer 4" fletchings. Anybody tried four 4" fletching on a crossbow? With even spacing, it might work. I shoot four 4" out of my longbow.

D.A.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

18 3/4 with 3''or4'' feathers, 12to15% foc on a 350gr stick works for me out of exomax, I'm happy :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My 400 gr Gt's [that I shot the 50 yd's w/] were much more agreeable w/ the cross wins here.

If you want to see something neat, try the AZ-EZ Bolt fletcher. I just learned some things about it and 2" blazers...............

I have the Bolt arms here to fit on an AZ w/ rt hand helical, will loan it out to you...............
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Its all in what you want :lol: 18-19-20-21-22-23 & up work if'en its got the spine fer yer poundage. In vertical Bows longer arrows always seem to get better accuracy but not so much wid crossbows. You would be hard pressed to find a 1/4" diff in the lengths i stated fer yer group size. fwiw too long will stick out past yer stirrup. Have a good one, gee you gotstid some good members postin on yer thread
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Try to be sure you shoot flat nocks though, regardless of your arrow length.
In the Wind.......
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Using Lazar II shafts, 110 gr brass insert, aluminum nock and 2" Blazer or Fusion vanes - set at fight helical - I get an arrow that's 405 gr with 100 gr Slick Trick with 18% FOC. Great flight, terminal performance from my Phoenix and Vortex. (I add a 125 gr tip for my 345 fps compound CB). The smallish vanes, in a high FOC arrow, give me better performance than 4" did: less wind deflection and loss of velocity.
BTW, if you haven't tried Gorilla brand super glue (blue top) you may be missing best glue around. (Have used it primarily on carbon shafts) Better than 5 'bow-brand' glues I've used. It's latex fortified so won't get brittle like some others, even when left overwinter in garage...in MINNESOTA! :lol:
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

510 grain 19 inches and 21% FOC for me this year. have not shot them yet but I anticipate good results.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

bayman1975 wrote:Thanks guys. That answers my question. I was thinking 500 gr. would be a perfect hunting arrow for a crossbow. But, I'd prefer 4" fletchings. Anybody tried four 4" fletching on a crossbow? With even spacing, it might work. I shoot four 4" out of my longbow. D.A.
I don't think four fletches will work in a crossbow.
With this setup there would be 2 horizontal and 2 vertical vanes.
The top vertical vane would interfere with the arrow hold down and it must be against the arrow to prevent a partial dry-fire.

As for length of arrow I have settled on the 20 inches as recommended by Excalibur. I get plenty of arrow weight with this length and shafts are easily available in that length. If I needed more arrow weight I would simply switch from 2216 to 2219 or heavier walled arrow.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Ont_Excal wrote:
bayman1975 wrote:Thanks guys. That answers my question. I was thinking 500 gr. would be a perfect hunting arrow for a crossbow. But, I'd prefer 4" fletchings. Anybody tried four 4" fletching on a crossbow? With even spacing, it might work. I shoot four 4" out of my longbow. D.A.
I don't think four fletches will work in a crossbow.
With this setup there would be 2 horizontal and 2 vertical vanes.
The top vertical vane would interfere with the arrow hold down and it must be against the arrow to prevent a partial dry-fire.

As for length of arrow I have settled on the 20 inches as recommended by Excalibur. I get plenty of arrow weight with this length and shafts are easily available in that length. If I needed more arrow weight I would simply switch from 2216 to 2219 or heavier walled arrow.
Ont I think he is referring to 4 " (inch) vanes (length) not the number of vanes...but that's an interesting thought.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I've been testing about every kind of vane you can find - and/or I can trim, cut shape and glue to a shaft.

4" fletches (vane or feather) do not perform as well for me as the 2" fletchings (vanes or feathers).

Putting four 4" vanes on a bolt, would hurt your FOC a little bit, but four 4" feathers would not.

For me it's 2" Rayzr feathers or 2" Blazer vanes (for wet days), all fletched with an Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt Jig. Lots of helical, lots of stabilization, lots of accuracy.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Galgo:
Bayman1975 said this ["four 4" fletching on a crossbow"] in his post. I read it more than once to be sure and quoted in my post.
nchunterkw:
I agree with the 2" vanes or feathers.
I use vanes just because of durability.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
bayman1975

Post by bayman1975 »

Hmmmm, I completely forgot about the arrow hold down. I see that it won't work now. Thanks for the input guys. My traditional archery mind is still trying to convert. These questions just pop into my head. I can't help it.

D.A.