Muskox Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill T

Muskox Hunt

Post by Bill T »

I have noticed that there have been some postings on other forums regarding a muskox hunt I participated in a few years ago. Here is my side of the story.

For the first time in my life I am faced with the sad and embarrassing reality of being convicted of a game violation. I make no denial of my guilt. I did unknowingly break the laws of Nunavut, and for this I am truly sorry, but I hope that you will take a few minutes to consider a brief explanation of the circumstances leading to the charge.

In 2004 I booked a muskox hunt with a reputable Eastern Ontario outfitter who specialized in arctic hunts. In return for a considerable fee, I was able to travel with a group of hunters to a tundra camp near Cambridge Bay to hunt for what was essentially a three day period. Our group assumed that the money we had spent would provide us with a safe and successful hunt according to the laws of Nunavut, and as a result we did not study the local game laws. This was where the problem began.

In the two short windows of opportunity to actually leave our camp, when the drifting snow subsided enough to hunt, we each were loaded into sleds and towed accross the tundra by Inuit guides driving snowmobiles. When muskoxen were located we were dropped off close to their position and approached on foot, and if the animals spooked and ran they were stopped by our guides on their snow machines. In hindsight it was obviously not a challenging hunt, but given our short time period to hunt as well as the brutal weather and travel conditions it seemed reasonable. We were wrong.
We did what seemed correct in following the advice of guides we trusted and because of this we broke the law by approaching too closely to the muskox using the snow mobiles. The same is probably true of every hunter that had been in that camp before and after us over the years. The resultant charges are a lesson not only to myself, but to every person who ever travels to another regulatory district to hunt. If you are not willing to familiarize yourself with the local game laws my advice is to stay home and not risk being hoodwinked as our group was by disreputable guides or outfitters.
I readily acknowledge that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I regret that our party broke the game laws and we have suffered both emotionally and financially because of it. In the future I will be travelling to hunt less because of it and I can affirm that when I do I will be aware of the local laws before I take my bow out of its case.

Bill
Dereck

Re: Muskox Hunt

Post by Dereck »

We are supposed to learn from our mistakes and clearly you did.

Thanks for sharing and being honest

Dereck
Tenpoint Matrix
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I have no doubt that the hunting methods used were common practice before and after this incident.
In the past this method was likely condoned for sustenance hunting.
I wonder how long that particular infraction has been on the books and how deeply in the offences code it was buried.
You being a public figure likely put the target on your back.

I'm glad you came forward to address this issue.
As I mentioned before, this issue will not affect my decision to support your product.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Its hard enough keeping up with local laws but when you hire an outfitter they should know the laws and keep you from breaking them,I mean they know your not locals and expect you to know them all.Yes it is our responsibility but what good is the outfitter that dont inform you of such laws or breaks them themself or dont know them like they should?
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

sorry my tricky finger likes to click
lscha

Post by lscha »

Never, for a minute, did I believe you intentionally broke any hunting laws. I know how things like that can happen. I'm also a strong believer in 'Everything happens for a Reason". This is a lesson to many more hunters than when it happens to someone not as well known as yourself. Thank you for addressing it and as Awshucks would say, "Move along, nothing to see here."
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Couldn't have said it better than Laura (and Awshucks by proxy :) ).

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here - we can all learn from each other!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:( the only problem i see is that you trusted your outfitter, which anybody would. they are there to help and service the hunt. if anything they should have there outfitter's licence and guid licence taking away, or a stiff fine. there is nothing wrong with trusting people.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I read about this on another hunting site a while ago & probably a few of the other members on here did as well. I commend all the members on here for not posting this issue on this site & drawing more attention to an obvious case of entrapment & poor judgment by the guides & outfitter. I would bet the guides or outfitter will not receive the same charges
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

How many of us would check in detail the local game laws after we have hired an EXPENSIVE outfitter or a guided hunt at a remote place. I would expect that my guide would know and respect all of the local laws as he must also have a guide license which would require some kind of a test. This is all BS and in my opinion Bill T has done absolutely nothing wrong.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I am but a poor man and will never hunt in places like you get to , only local deer and hogs for me . It don't really make a hoot to me how the law was broke or why you are obviously a honest man or you wouldn't have come forward with this .You make a fine product and when it's not right you fix it in my opinion that alone will keep your company in business in these troubled times we live in today . Good luck on your future ventures and happy hunting mr Bill T. Derry Hicks
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Bill T wrote:... In 2004 I booked a muskox hunt with a reputable Eastern Ontario outfitter who specialized in arctic hunts. ...
What is their name?

I lived in the Western Arctic for a considerable period of time. Had to occasion to hunt musk-ox several times. The local Inuit knew the Regs, I made damn sure I did as well, and adhered to them. But, I wasn't being "guided" by a "reputable outfitter" - simply hunting with Buddies who knew the area. BIG Difference. There was, at that point, an outfit operating there that was eventually shut down due to the type of infractions you've noted. Musk-ox violations got them in warm water, Polar Bear violations were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Methinks it would be reasonable for you to post their name, so that any thinking of partaking in such a hunt could be forewarned.

Sorry to hear you got mixed in with some Bad Actors. Could happen to anyone, and certainly when booking a hunt with an outfit of repute, one has reason to believe they will absolutely ensure that any and all hunts are well within the governing Regulations.

Were there any repercussions for the "outfitter"? One would certainly Hope so!

Good on you for making such a statement Publicly! Takes some Serious Spine to do so, and I commend you for it!

I see NO fault on your end, but again, would like to understand just who the Idjuts that lead you to this misfortune are...

With Respect,
Matt Stabler
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

lscha wrote:Never, for a minute, did I believe you intentionally broke any hunting laws. I know how things like that can happen. I'm also a strong believer in 'Everything happens for a Reason". This is a lesson to many more hunters than when it happens to someone not as well known as yourself. Thank you for addressing it and as Awshucks would say, "Move along, nothing to see here."

X2 Isha, :wink: :) I agree 100% :)

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Whatever happened to the old saying "what happens in Nunavut stays in Nunavut". You definitely got the shaft and hopefully the outfitter got shut down at least. Read about it in the advertiser but looked at the date and figured it wasn't even worth talking about given the details.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
gunnutjay

Post by gunnutjay »

Sorry to hear of your troubles Bill.

My advice is to put this behind you & don't let it impact the amount you hunt.

Yes, it's a valuable lesson, ie that we should all double check the rules before hunting. But none of us can fault you for putting your trust in your outfitter. It's someone you should have been able to trust.

A mistake was made, it's been fully accounted for & it's time to put it behind you.

All the best Bill.
gunnutjay