Blazer Vanes Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

cooterdog
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Williams Lake BC

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by cooterdog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:42 am

Woodspike wrote:Not sure how much adjustment there is in these vari-zone scopes, but if the weather holds out today I'm hoping to zero the scope around 40 yards, and see how far I can stretch it. Will post a couple pics if I end up with decent grouping.
Looking forward to this Woodspike
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers

Woodspike
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Woodspike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Zero set at 40 yards. 2" groups with Firebolts, blazers, and 100 grain field points. Total arrow weight is 355. Wind is light and variable, 26 degrees F, light snow.

Same arrow, with 145 grain tip is hitting roughly 3" lower at that distance.

Going to have to move my setup to reach 50+ yards. Will update.

cooterdog
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Williams Lake BC

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by cooterdog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Woodspike wrote:Zero set at 40 yards. 2" groups with Firebolts, blazers, and 100 grain field points. Total arrow weight is 355. Wind is light and variable, 26 degrees F, light snow.

Same arrow, with 145 grain tip is hitting roughly 3" lower at that distance.

Going to have to move my setup to reach 50+ yards. Will update.
Sounds like your on track.
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers

Michael.stogre
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Michael.stogre » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: buying blazers from Canada

I usually by them on EBay through bullseye feathers
in the U.S.. I pay 11.95 for packs of 100 + 3.95
shipping. that's about 16 cents per vane. I have never
had to pay any tariffs. You can also purchase them in
smaller single colour packs or packs of various colours.
Check it out.

MJS

cooterdog
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Williams Lake BC

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by cooterdog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Michael.stogre wrote:Re: buying blazers from Canada

I usually by them on EBay through bullseye feathers
in the U.S.. I pay 11.95 for packs of 100 + 3.95
shipping. that's about 16 cents per vane. I have never
had to pay any tariffs. You can also purchase them in
smaller single colour packs or packs of various colours.
Check it out.

MJS
Awesome. Ill look him up ASAP I need like 300 to 600 due to using them on mine my wife's and compound.
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers

Woodspike
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Woodspike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Scope zero: 50 yards. 100 grain field points were starting to scatter. Switched to 145 grain as the control, and 2" groups seem to be the average.

Image

Almost cost myself an arrow on this one.
Every group seems about the same. Windage is perfect, elevation is the only variant.

User avatar
Limbs and Sticks
Posts: 3206
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:13 pm
Location: Colonial Beach, Virginia, US

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Limbs and Sticks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Woodspike wrote:Scope zero: 50 yards. 100 grain field points were starting to scatter. Switched to 145 grain as the control, and 2" groups seem to be the average.

Image

Almost cost myself an arrow on this one.
Every group seems about the same. Windage is perfect, elevation is the only variant.


Try some feathers with the hundred gr pts.if you have any?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers

awshucks
Posts: 5238
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:40 am
Location: arkansas

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by awshucks » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Rule #1 w/ Excals is shoot a diff point every shot......................
"Eze 18:21"

cooterdog
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Williams Lake BC

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by cooterdog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:12 pm

awshucks wrote:Rule #1 w/ Excals is shoot a diff point every shot......................
X2
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers

Woodspike
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Woodspike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:39 pm

:oops: I know... I know...
I honestly wasn't expecting it to be that tight.

Thanks again for the opportunity, Shucks. That Bolt and ASD made all the difference.

User avatar
IronNoggin
Posts: 1635
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:53 pm
Location: Port Alberni, Vancouver Island

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by IronNoggin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:37 pm

cooterdog wrote:I see lots of people talking about good 30 yard groups with blazers, but has anybody shot good groups at farther ranges?
60 Yard Group with 2" Blazers on Big John Custom Arrows (BEST I've ever shot btw!):

Image

As the others suggested, DO NOT shoot at the same bull regardless of range!! :(

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Woodspike
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Woodspike » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Dammit... Now I'm tempted to try for a 70 yard robinhood... Thanks, Nog. :?

Good shooting by the way! :)

flightattendant100
Posts: 4166
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Ft. Worth, Texas

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by flightattendant100 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:20 am

Woodspike wrote:Scope zero: 50 yards. 100 grain field points were starting to scatter. Switched to 145 grain as the control, and 2" groups seem to be the average.

Image

Almost cost myself an arrow on this one.
Every group seems about the same. Windage is perfect, elevation is the only variant.
Woodspike, what vane is that? doesnt look like a Blazer.just curious.

Woodspike
Posts: 350
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by Woodspike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:47 am

flightattendant100 wrote: Woodspike, what vane is that? doesnt look like a Blazer.just curious.
Bohning X-vane. Essentially just a shield cut Blazer. Roughly the same flight characteristics.

Edit: If the rain stops today, I will post up a side by side comparison between the X-vane on my target bolts, and the Blazers on my heavier hunting bolts at 30 yards.


Sorry Coot, kinda hijacked your thread. :?

cooterdog
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Williams Lake BC

Re: Blazer Vanes Questions

Post by cooterdog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Woodspike wrote:
flightattendant100 wrote: Woodspike, what vane is that? doesnt look like a Blazer.just curious.
Bohning X-vane. Essentially just a shield cut Blazer. Roughly the same flight characteristics.

Edit: If the rain stops today, I will post up a side by side comparison between the X-vane on my target bolts, and the Blazers on my heavier hunting bolts at 30 yards.


Sorry Coot, kinda hijacked your thread. :?
what size are them x vanes? I don't mid a hijacker on my thread but a plane nope lol
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers

Post Reply