Looking to aquire some deer antlers..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Looking to aquire some deer antlers..

Post by Pydpiper »

Any ideas where I can buy random deer antlers? My wife wants to make an antler chandelier for the house, and I need to accumulate some.
My first thought was to make it all from my deer, but unfortunatly all I have is a bunch of fork horns, not exactly chandelier material.
I considered buying one already made, but she is a bit of a DIY gal, and want to take on the task.
Is there a source that I can go to for such a project?
Thanks!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
colouredchameleon

Re: Looking to aquire some deer antlers..

Post by colouredchameleon »

You must mean antlers you can borrow or get for free. :wink:
Normous

Post by Normous »

I'll bring Jen some.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
maple

Post by maple »

Might be a bit late, but, any place that butchers deer usually has antlers hanging around. The last time I looked for a friend, they were charging a dollar a point.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

colouredchameleon wrote:You must mean antlers you can borrow or get for free. :wink:
Making a light for my livingroom, borrowing would be sort of senceless.
As far as "free", not really my style..

What I meant was a place that has bulk antlers, I have seen shops up north that are known to keep barrels full, but without travelling I have no recolection of where those shops were.
Not scared to spend money, I just need to know where to send it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

David

Here you go: http://www.deerantlerstore.com/

Do a search on internet for deer antlers there are a lot of places that sell them in bulk!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

DaGriz wrote:David

Here you go: http://www.deerantlerstore.com/

Do a search on internet for deer antlers there are a lot of places that sell them in bulk!
We've looked, but they all seem to be US based, and antlers are a toughie at the border.
Everytime I do a search, the wife looks over my shoulder and comes up with new projects..
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

enormous wrote:I'll bring Jen some.
Thanks Norm. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

maple wrote:Might be a bit late, but, any place that butchers deer usually has antlers hanging around. The last time I looked for a friend, they were charging a dollar a point.
Not many game butchers around me, the ones that do say they are mandated to have the head sent home with the person who brings in the deer. I tried that avenue.. But thanks!
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

This place ships to Canada

http://antlersunlimited.com/
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:
colouredchameleon wrote:You must mean antlers you can borrow or get for free. :wink:
Making a light for my livingroom, borrowing would be sort of senceless.
As far as "free", not really my style..

What I meant was a place that has bulk antlers, I have seen shops up north that are known to keep barrels full, but without travelling I have no recolection of where those shops were.
Not scared to spend money, I just need to know where to send it.
I guess you missed the point of my post. with the wink smilie at the end

Read 2012 Hunting Regulations Summary
Page 27
Game Wildlife and Parts

applies to both buying / selling

There have been a number of cases of charges being laid against people "looking to aquire some deer antlers". costing them big $$$$$.

I would think being in the dog house would be an under statement

Example:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/
stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@enforcement/
documents/document/stdprod_086285.pdf
I did miss that, yes.
I just put on a call to the MNR as well as my local CO to get more details..
WMU 91
Boo string
Gwen's Dilemma

Post by Gwen's Dilemma »

This is a story from the Windsor Star on this subject.
Dave :wink:

Don Lajoie, The Windsor Star | Dec 08, 2011 | Last Updated: Dec 09, 2011 - 1:44 UTC

WINDSOR, Ont. -- After locking horns with provincial conservation officers in court, a LaSalle spam charged with the illegal sale of moose antlers has emerged victorious.

A justice of the peace threw out charges against Louis Calsavara, 19, Thursday, dismissing the case as “too trifling” to come before her. He was issued a $250 ticket for offences against Ontario’s Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act last spring for attempting to resell a set of moose antlers purchased at a local antique shop.

After being served with the ticket at his home by conservation officers, who had tracked him down after seeing his advertisement to sell the antlers on Kijiji, Calsavara chose to fight the charges rather than pay the fine.

Justice of the peace Susan Hoffman said she accepted the argument of defence lawyer Philip Chandler, who said his client bought the mounted antlers for use as a stage prop in a school play and mistakenly believed the set to be a work of art when he tried to resell it.

The lawyer asserted that legislation covering the sale of such wildlife artifacts makes exemptions where a person believes the item to be artwork.

Hoffman agreed, but went further.

She also relied on provisions of common law defence that the case against the spam was “too trifling” to come to court. Hoffman said the purpose of the legislation, which states “a person shall not buy or sell wildlife or specially protected wildlife, including pelts, except under the authority of a licence or in accordance with regulations” is clearly meant to apply to poachers, illegal wildlife trafficking and to conserve wildlife.

Hoffman ruled the law should have no bearing on a set of mounted antlers sold at an antique store, especially since no evidence exists of how the item came to be at the shop in the first place or whether they had originally been obtained with proper licensing.

“Common sense leads me to conclude this was not offered for sale to contravene the Wildlife Act,” she said.

“I’m just happy I didn’t have to pay the fine,” said Calsavara outside the courtroom. “But I’m more happy that this gives me the opportunity to educate people about this law. I didn’t know it was illegal and this kind of came out of the blue.”

He said he hoped news of the case would inform people about the issues involved and about the laws designed to protect wildlife.

Meanwhile, he added, he would like to get his antlers back “to hang up as a conversation piece,” especially since now there is a real story associated with them.

Chandler said the decision “speaks for itself.

“I think it’s important officers exercise their responsibilities with appreciation for the nature of the conduct in issue versus the type of conduct the legislation was designed to prevent,” he said.

Calsavara was taken by surprise when the conservations officers arrived at his door last May and informed him he had broken the law. The Seneca College broadcast arts students co-operated with the officers and handed the antlers over.

He said he had decided to sell them after the school play because he found out he was not allowed to hang them in his room on campus and didn’t know what else to do with them
Last edited by Gwen's Dilemma on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I remember that one from my local newspaper.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Sometimes I wonder why the Officers don't use more discretion. I can appreciate there are some who blatantly break the law, but some simple questioning would prevent a lot of unnecessary litigation in the above case.

What about setting up a feeder to encourage the bucks to shed them for you?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting