Looking to aquire some deer antlers..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

Re: Looking to aquire some deer antlers..

Post by catcher »

You can buy shed antlers in Alberta , Saskatchewan but not in Ontario. Just google shed antlers for sale and change the end to Alberta and then next search but Saskatchewan. All kinds for sale.
Also there are a couple of elk farms by Ottawa that sell antlers there as well. But they are not shed they are cut off. A friend of mine made a few for his restaurant with those and they worked out nice.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

From page 27 of the regs.

A person may buy or sell a single hide of a black bear (with head and claws attached), or a single hide of a moose or deer (with- out the head attached) and a single set of cast antlers of wood- land caribou, white-tailed deer, American elk or moose per year if they were lawfully acquired. A hunter or trapper may sell the hides of any black bear, deer or moose that they have lawfully harvested, or cast antlers. A person who wishes to buy more than a single hide or single set of cast antlers must have a dealer’s licence.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
rayman

Post by rayman »

Ebay :)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Still haven't heard back from the MNR, but I have to say, I am totally dumbfounded by the laws you guys have pointed out.
If things are going to head in the direction of legality I am going to have to figure out another way of going about this project.
The wife want to train our Black and tan to find sheds, but we have never had much luck in locating them, or at least nice enough ones to make furniture from.
I never imagined the hardest part of this boiling down to a law..

colouredchameleon, thanks for heads up, I took your post the wrong way, going to blame complete ignorance of the law for that one. I am glad you pointed it out before I made an expensive mistake. Thanks.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Pydpiper wrote:Still haven't heard back from the MNR, but I have to say, I am totally dumbfounded by the laws you guys have pointed out.
If things are going to head in the direction of legality I am going to have to figure out another way of going about this project.
The wife want to train our Black and tan to find sheds, but we have never had much luck in locating them, or at least nice enough ones to make furniture from.
I never imagined the hardest part of this boiling down to a law...
To collect sheds you would have to be out early in the year...............as in long before the snow is gone!!
If you're not finding any it could be the area is picked over before you get there.

Find out how much a dealers license is................it may not be as much as you think!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

You could try making a Rack Trap

See youtube for how to.
Type in Deer Rack Trap for details

But please do it later so as to not trap a deer that is not ready to shed yet
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

David . . .the laws are intended to deter poaching. Not sure if it does a good job, but, still . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I have the same issue....sort of.....wanting bigger antlers. I am addressing it by resolving to go find a bigger deer, and putting a Firebolt (or some lead) through him.
antler fool

Post by antler fool »

+1 on Ebay