When is it enough too many tags and wounded deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Oliver

When is it enough too many tags and wounded deer

Post by Oliver »

I love this board and the sense of community and especially the ethics. I just wonder that if you shoot a deer and wound it....you should count that tag used even if you don't recover it.

Especially in Canada where there aren't near as many deer and I feel like there are a few too many tags given out as there certainly seem to be less deer around.

Whaddya folks think?
antler fool

Re: When is it enough too many tags and wounded deer

Post by antler fool »

I see nothing wrong with taking multiple deer as long as they don't go to waste. If I wounded a Deer and didn't recover it yes I would use my tag, but I keep my shots close and only take shots that should turn into a sure kill, so this hasn't been a issue for me.
rayman

Post by rayman »

I know that a great many pay hunt places, which are ussually ranches or deer farms, treat a wounded deer like a kill. In other words, you get one buck and if the guide says you drew blood on one, it doesn't matter if you recover it or not. Some ranches will only let you take one round of ammo. For a private ranch or farm, I can understand. It is a person's choice as to whether or not that is the type of hunt they are looking for. For personal property, leases, or public land, it is a matter of personall ethics and responsibility to loose as few animals as possible. It happens to us all. I've lost my share unfortunately. It's a personal choice if you want to try again. :)
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Absolutly. Hit a deer and never recovered it two years ago and felt I did not deserve another chance and quit hunting for the year. Ate my empty tag. But that is me.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

enough rules and regulations and a one buck limit here in pa!!!!!! that,s why I mostly hunt maryland! that,s my joy in life hunting and would sure be a disapointment to have less tags available and let the poachers have all the deer!
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

wheelie wrote:Absolutly. Hit a deer and never recovered it two years ago and felt I did not deserve another chance and quit hunting for the year. Ate my empty tag. But that is me.
Was there last year... I know the feeling.
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

I've never lost a deer but I've only shot about 15 in my lifetime. So I've never had to deal with this issue. However, I'd like to think the powers that be (DNR) take into count ALL deer fatalities when deciding on the number of tags they allow. They know deer will be eaten by predators, die from disease, hit by cars, poached, and wounded and not recovered, therefore, not tagged. I'm sure they also take into count the number of tags issued vs. the number of tags actually filled. Every year I buy a tag for myself and my two sons including extra doe tags for each of us. We could legally take 9 deer between the three of us. We got two so far this year. It's all about statistics and averages.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

The MNR keeps the reigns way too tight, they know exactly what tags are sold and what the harvests are. If anything the poachers are more of a problem then the wounding of animals from legit hunters.

There are more deer being hit by vehicles and being injured. My Dad has hit 3 in 4 years all of them survived with unknown injuries, 15 minutes north of Newmarket.

Most real hunters go home feeling pretty low with a injured miss, as mentioned.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

These kinda answers make me proud to read this board
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I could never stop hunting and miss all my outdoor hunting time because I wounded a deer for some reason my fault or not. I just try to learn from my mistakes and keep at it! I feel bad when I wound a deer and don,t recover it. but never enough to hang it up for the year. I love hunting to much! it,s never a sure thing for me lots can happen! Murphy likes to follow me hunting!!! But I let him come along an give it my best! I enjoy all my time in the woods an take the good and the bad!!!!
strum

Post by strum »

we all (i hope) try our very best to make good shots and recover our deer but most if not all of us have had some dissapointments..it sucks and we try to learn from it..and move on
maybe im the black sheep here but if i dont recover it i dont count it as a harvested deer..that said its been a while since its happened to me and im alway sick when it does.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

When you pick up your bow or your firearm and go into the woods and your fortunate enough to be able to take an ethical shot... Even if you have done everything right there is a chance you may not be able to recover.

No I don't think a non-recover should count as harvest. I have spent DAYS searching for a deer I couldn't find. I combed every corn row in a corn field. I waded in creeks. I searched acres of bush. Looked for scavengers afterwards. You pay a mental price for times like this and sometimes the only way to shake it is to go out and try again. It's part of what hunting is. It can make you better. Tagging an invisible deer will only keep you out of the woods.

Besides that, unfortunately you could never police the ones who take potshots at wildlife without any real concern about recovery. Especially with archery gear
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Knight

Post by Knight »

If you don't think a unrecovered deer should count, how many unrecovered deer should you be allowed???

2?

3?

4?

keep shooting till one falls dead in front of you???

Because unfortunately there are some like that out there.
mingle

Post by mingle »

Michigan gives out 2 many doe permits,imo thats whythere as many deer as there use to be we all know that.All the dnr is worried about is money.I think 1 doe and 1 buck should be enough for anybody.That way hunters would be more selective.jmo
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

one shot scott wrote:When you pick up your bow or your firearm and go into the woods and your fortunate enough to be able to take an ethical shot... Even if you have done everything right there is a chance you may not be able to recover.

No I don't think a non-recover should count as harvest. I have spent DAYS searching for a deer I couldn't find. I combed every corn row in a corn field. I waded in creeks. I searched acres of bush. Looked for scavengers afterwards. You pay a mental price for times like this and sometimes the only way to shake it is to go out and try again. It's part of what hunting is. It can make you better. Tagging an invisible deer will only keep you out of the woods.

Besides that, unfortunately you could never police the ones who take potshots at wildlife without any real concern about recovery.
Especially with archery gear
I suspect not really an issue anyways for anyone who calls themself
"one shot scott" :lol: