Trail Cam Questions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Three Bears

Trail Cam Questions?

Post by Three Bears »

Hay group... Was thinking about buying a "basic" trail cam to put out at a new baited site(for pigs). When you want to look at the pictures do you take the SD card out of the cam drive home and put it in your computer? Can I just take my camera with me and put the SD card in it and look at the pictures?????? :roll:
Hester0305

Re: Trail Cam Questions?

Post by Hester0305 »

You can use your camera as long as it takes SD cards or you can buy you a SD card reader such as what Moultrie sells. The images won't be as good as putting on the computer but you can see well enough to see whats coming in.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
dewy

Post by dewy »

Sometimes if I'm setting up a camera in a new area I will take along a regular digital camera to slide the SD card in so I can see what I've got and if its worth keeping the game camera in the particular spot.

Otherwise I just switch out the SD cards and load them on to the laptop at home.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Three Bears

Post by Three Bears »

Thanks for the responses... So if I understand - Since I take my camera(uses SD card) with me each time that I go out I'll just stick the trail cam SD card in camera to view what the trail cam caught....to easy - I learned something..... :o
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I borrowed a stealth trail camera this past deer season and I used two SD cards and swap them one for one and view the pics at home while the camera is still filling the other SD card. SD cards are very inexpensive so having a few on hand is easy.

If I plan on buying a trail camera of my own will need a larger external battery and solar charger since batteries don't last long in the stealth trail camera in our cold deer season.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I either swap the cards out or I will haul my lap-top with me to the camera. Just depends on what I am doing on that particular day.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
dewy

Post by dewy »

Swamp donkey, I've been looking at the Coverts. Where did you the 6mp for that price?
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

I just have 2 SD cards and a camera. During season I take the filled card and put it in the camera, put the empty one in the trail cam and watch while up in the tree stand. When I go home I dump the images in a file and date the day it was uploaded so I can keep track of all the deer. I erase the card and repeat. It works great as I can see their activity and go back from date to date and its all organized
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

I can look at my pictures from my SD card on my used camera (ebay). But I can't watch any of the videos I take. Those have to wait till I get back to my laptop.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

IH8ATTN wrote:I just have 2 SD cards and a camera. During season I take the filled card and put it in the camera, put the empty one in the trail cam and watch while up in the tree stand. When I go home I dump the images in a file and date the day it was uploaded so I can keep track of all the deer. I erase the card and repeat. It works great as I can see their activity and go back from date to date and its all organized
X2- easy way!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I keep 2 cards for each camera. I swap the clean one for the one in the camera then take the one from the camera home, load the pics on my pc then format the card so it's ready to be swapped out next time I go hunting. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I use two memory cards also, and if i cannot wait to look at the pics while in the woods I use my car GPS to view the pics.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

My camera allows me to use a flash drive to down load the pics while my sd card is still in the camera then deletes the pics from my sd card. Makes it very easy to run my camera's that way.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

j.krug wrote:I keep 2 cards for each camera. I swap the clean one for the one in the camera then take the one from the camera home, load the pics on my pc then format the card so it's ready to be swapped out next time I go hunting. :)
Pretty much same system, 2 cards for each camera,A 1qt. baggie to keep sd card and owners manual in. I swap cards and use the camera to format the sd card, take the other home and view on pc. repeat next time. I have 4 different brands of cameras and keep the owners manual with it because they all format a little differently. That has been a big help a time or two.I also have a 1 gal. baggie that all the 1qt. baggies go in to keep 'em together.It helps keep 'em out of the ash tray, under the seat etc.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Remember that cameras will only give you a very small image of the picture. I sometimes need to blow up the trail camera picture on the computer to see something that I had missed. Also remember that some cameras talk a different language then the trail camera (making the camera not able to read the images).

In today's market you can get cheap (cost wise) notepad or tablets for under $100 and they will give you a larger view screen if you need to check things out at the spot. Also with these you can make sure you have programs which will work with different trail cams and their systems.
j.krug wrote:I keep 2 cards for each camera. I swap the clean one for the one in the camera then take the one from the camera home, load the pics on my pc then format the card so it's ready to be swapped out next time I go hunting. :)
I have also found that this is the best system. Two cards for each camera, just switch them out. Switching them out is the fastest and gets you out of the area with the least amount of scent left behind.

Remember that different trail cameras (sometimes even with the same Mfg) use different computer language and if you get cards mixed, you will need to format at the site for them to work properly. Get two cards and mark them for each camera.

Good luck.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]