SoundDeadening

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Strikenmike

SoundDeadening

Post by Strikenmike »

Greetings:
I own a Phoenix and I love it. Question: What is the down side of filling the stock with foam in order to make it a bit more quiet? Please advise.
PS Are there any major obstacles to removing the stock from a crossbow like the Phoenix?

Thanks,
Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
vixenmaster

Re: SoundDeadening

Post by vixenmaster »

Jus the 2 stock screws, i bought ujsed Excal someone had put the liquid foam into. It really didn't do a thing fer it. Twas a mess to clean
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

It does make one helluva mess for sure. Can not notice much of a difference. I wouldn't do it again.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I had an old styrofoam target and just cut strips with a razor blade the width of the opening maybe 10" in length. I used a plastic not wood 12" ruler to help feed the styrofoam strips into the barrel. Just packed each side solid up to the stock screw opening. No real mess and really didn't take long. Unfortunately or fortunately this was the same time I started using a ( Boo ) string with cat whiskers. Next time I shot with friends I was asked what I did to my bow, commenting on how much quieter the bow was. Did it make much of a difference? I would say being filled solid was better than being hollow. But most will tell you get a good custom string with cat whiskers to knock down the sound and vibration. In my mind since I went through the effort I'm going to say yes it does help!
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
massbow

Post by massbow »

I filled the stock of my 30.06 rifle with touch foam and it took the hollow sound away!
Team 355
Boo

Post by Boo »

Alot of us have lost some of our hearing so you'll get responses that say no but the truth is that it does work. But is it worth it? YOU won't know until you try and it does not have to be a mess.
What I do is to strip the rail bare of any attachments.
I shoot some silicone in from the trigger end and smooth it with my finger. It will want to ooze out so keep pushing it back until it sets up.
After 24 hours take a low expanding foam and make some extensions and attach them to the nozzle of the foam can.
Shoot the foam in at the front starting at the silicone that was set in the day before. Stop short of where the string sits on the rail by about an inch.
Fill the rest of the way with silicone.
The foam will kill a bit of noise but the silicone will do more. Results will vary with the position of volume switch of your hearing aid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Backstraps

Post by Backstraps »

Boo wrote:Results will vary with the position of volume switch of your hearing aid. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And if you are not equipped with such devices, it might just be easier to wear ear plugs. :D
Matrix Grizzly
Vixenmaster strings
100 gr. Magnus Heads
BEE .001
AAE Max Stealth Vanes
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Shoot your bow loud and naked! :mrgreen:

Seriously, I put nothing on my bow to quiet it down. Shoot enough and you won't even notice the noise anymore. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

A vixen or other low poundage bow may not benefit very much from noise mitigation, my heavy pounders do.
Not sure if any decibel level change but the sound is softer in nature.

I used pipe insulation. It's a soft, very light closed cell foam insulation.
It's easy to manipulate to fill the voids in the rail. Just compress the foam and it will expand back to original size after a few minutes. This way no messy liquids to deal with. Also you can remove it at a later date by simply pushing it out of the rail.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I found it reduced the vibration noticeably but I still can't get rid of that TWANNNNGGGG!

F
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well all i can say is i have to wear 2 hearin aids to hear wid. So i shoot me Excals naked, sides that i like lookin at their nice curves! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Galgo wrote:I found it reduced the vibration noticeably but I still can't get rid of that TWANNNNGGGG!F
That twang is there to stay.
It's a characteristic of the recurve limb design.
Higher poundage vertical recurve bows did the same thing.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
Listen, this is what to do when hunting. Do not worry about noise, aim crossbow at intended target, pull trigger, dead deer or whatever else you are shooting at. As long as you can hit your intended target. Same process if you are shooting targets, just ignore the sound, it will be more noticeable to you at that time.
Thanks for reading, :)
Raymond
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I shot my Y-25 in front of Bill T at Boofest. He commented on how quiet it was. I had a Boo string w/ cat whiskers on it and an older model STS w/ Canadian rubbers on it, fwiw.............
"Eze 18:21"
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I have the answers you need l,m at work now butl l,l post some photos and info when l get home from work tonight, it will cost you fps but you,l notice a huge diffrence in sound and no twang..
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..