Getting an ADF

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tee

Getting an ADF

Post by Tee »

After my recent post about my dry fire, I have done a little more research and have thought about the matter a lot. I have decided to get and install the Excalibur Guardian ADF.

My reasoning: while sitting in the blind or my tree stand, I have the xbow cocked, no bolt, safety on. I have learned the hard way that deer hearing is a LOT better than mine. I once clicked off a rifle safety when the deer were at least 40 to 50 yards away. The clicking of the safety spooked them and I watched as they bounded off over the next hill. The Excalibur safety is a lot more silent and inserting the bolt is very silent, so that has never been a problem for me. Cocking the xbow is hardly silent and much, much, much, much louder than clicking off that rifle safety. So waiting for the deer to show up and then cocking the xbow isn't really an option for me.

However, I have always totally refused to keep the xbow loaded. Far too dangerous in my mind and strange things happen. Having a dry fire due to the rope cocking aid break has convinced me that even stranger things happen than I thought and waiting with a cocked, albeit unloaded and safetied, xbow is just waiting for another dry fire due to a strange occurance happening. Murheys Law says it will eventually happen.

So having watched the Excalibur video about why ADFs were not needed on Excalibur xbows and then discovering that Excalibur now sells the Guardian ADF (and it appears that they designed and make the thing) and builds it into the Matrix from the start, I have decided that Excalibur has now blessed ADF on Excalibur xbows and so I feel that getting one and installing it is no longer a blasphemy.

I have just ordered one and will be installing it when it arrives.
If you are alwys rushing to the future,
Then you never have any NOW.
vixenmaster

Re: Getting an ADF

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer crossbow do as you wish, but i ain't never gonna sit in a stand wid no arrow in me Excal loaded! I will be ready & i knowed how to make me safety so quiet no deer alive can hear it even at 5 yds!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

xcaliber wrote:I'm with Mike, arrow on, xbow cocked, safety on!
ditto for me!!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

X3, cocked, locked & loaded same as my rifle. I do de-cock before leaving the tree stand and unload my rifle before lowering it down..
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
massbow

Post by massbow »

If im in the woods locked and loaded!! :o
Team 355
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

massbow wrote:If im in the woods locked and loaded!! :o
The only way I want to be :D
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

My Equinox is always cocked, arrow loaded and safety on during the act of hunting. Moving the safety to fire has minimal movement even with thumbhole stock.

Loading an arrow in the rail before the shot would involve too much noise and movement for my taste.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

locked and loaded to!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

An ADF is only needed if one has a 380.
"Eze 18:21"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Always loaded and at the ready for live action!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have ADF,s on all my excaliburs and i am always loaded on stand.
TizzyDEDArchery

Post by TizzyDEDArchery »

Hey to each his own but personal opinion.... I'm sitting in my blind or tree stand you better believe there's a bolt loaded up and at least one more real close by my easy pull and range finder!! lol but if your not comfortable with it in all the time then go with what feels right. I've had a similar discussion with some duck hunting friends of mine but scary enough about the loading and unloading of shotguns while duck hunting . Same goes. If I'm In the blind I don't want to have to throw shells in AFTER I see or hear the ducks coming!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Locked and loaded here also. I just constantly check that the arrow has not slid out of position. I could not even imagine trying to load an arrow in the heat of battle. Have had deer come in so silent they were 15 feet from me when I seen them and there would be no time to load an arrow. With all due respect: That is just silly sitting there unloaded. :wink: In Canada a crossbow is only considered loaded if an arrow is on the flight deck.
strum

Post by strum »

Deerstalker wrote:X3, cocked, locked & loaded same as my rifle. I do de-cock before leaving the tree stand and unload my rifle before lowering it down..
X2
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Waif

Post by Waif »

Ha! a certain rifle manufacturer did make a mouse trap safety that nearly killed deer by concussion when throwing it off.
I learned to by holding it between thumb and fore finger ride it down quietly. :x
You,ll feel more comfortable with ADF in use,that can,t be bad.
I would need the bolt that is to be loaded resting across eye piece of scope to remember to load it but you do what works for you!
No sense being nervous and peeking at bow out of the corner of your eye mentally
so do what makes you comfy.
Have fun!.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.