Always approach a downed deer from behind.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

yooper_man

Always approach a downed deer from behind.

Post by yooper_man »

2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
taz3

Re: Always approach a downed deer from behind.

Post by taz3 »

1st thing my Dad has always done, is shoot his harvest as soon he gets to it. He learnt from similar mishaps of others, who have only knocked animals out and assumed they were dead. The sad part is, now there is a deer with a broken jaw that may have gotten away and will die shortly anyway. The shot placement was not very good either, I would bet it was a head shot, not a vital organ shot that missed.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
NFH

Post by NFH »

The hunters reaction is hilarious!! Feel bad for the deer though, yet another reason not to take risky shots. Yeah don't do what he did...
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
Waif

Post by Waif »

Eyes closed, possum deer.Yes from behind .Lucky it was not a large bear.
Shot one that was still breathing with broken shoulders several times from behind over a couple minute period,aiming between shoulders with little effect,till I skinned it and saw a nice tight group. I thought the few revolver shots missed till then.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I have read before that if a quarry's eyes are closed, beware! Every deer I've ever seen that was taken with a gun, bow or car died with it's eyes open. May not be 100% accurate, but I wouldn't take the chance on approaching one with it's eyes closed without putting another shot in the boiler room. What's your life worth? :wink:
Last edited by Lake shooter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

xcaliber wrote:I wonder if that guy had to change his base layer after that! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I bet he did :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I never go head on to any animal, and I always make sure that I poke them with something first and that I am in a safe zone. That was funny though.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Fellow back home 'killed' a nice buck with his brand new Browning A5 slug gun.
He placed the shotgun in the deer's anglers and backed up to take a picture. Yup, last he saw of either. Must have been traumatic ... he quit deer hunting. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Both of my arms are black & blue from where a doe kicked me when I went to dispatch her after my son had made the shot. I should have come in from behind the doe so that I was away from her hoofs. I think that the older I get the dumber I get but I was very lucky this time. I was in a hurry because I hate to see a animal suffer. The bright side is that the backstrap is on the grill tonight.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
strum

Post by strum »

Cossack wrote:Fellow back home 'killed' a nice buck with his brand new Browning A5 slug gun.
He placed the shotgun in the deer's anglers and backed up to take a picture. Yup, last he saw of either. Must have been traumatic ... he quit deer hunting. :D
that's the funniest thing I have ever heard :lol:
can you imagine sitting in a tree stand and watching a buck with a shot gun walk by :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

Lake shooter wrote:I have read before that if an quarry's eyes are closed, beware! Ever deer I've ever seen that was taken with a gun, bow or car died with it's eyes open. May not be 100% accurate, but I wouldn't take the chance on approaching one with it's eyes closed without putting another shot in the boiler room. What's your life worth? :wink:
Yep,
If those eyes are closed - shoot it again!
wabi
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Cossack wrote:Fellow back home 'killed' a nice buck with his brand new Browning A5 slug gun.
Now that would be funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

Deerstalker wrote:Both of my arms are black & blue from where a doe kicked me when I went to dispatch her after my son had made the shot. I should have come in from behind the doe so that I was away from her hoofs. I think that the older I get the dumber I get but I was very lucky this time. I was in a hurry because I hate to see a animal suffer. The bright side is that the backstrap is on the grill tonight.
You are a very lucky man indeed. I once had a Doe I xbow shot rise up and try to box me with her front hoofs-I let her pass me by and followed the blood trail to where she bled out. I learned that day to always poke'em in the hind quarter several times before trusting that they are dead.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

This may be patently obvious, but: if the chest is still rising and falling they're breathing, and dead critters don't breath......