bad luck/good luck

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Leonard Hawkins

bad luck/good luck

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

Got in my home made blind last week, now this is a plywood blind made from 5/16 in chip board, it is approx 4ftx4ft. Has window on each side and a front window. when I got in I only opened front as the wind was blowing about 20 mph. I decided to stay all day and took coffee and food with me.I am 74 years young and get bored easily, so I took a crossword puzzle book with me. Iwas working my puzzle book and moved my Vixon over to my left a little bit (bad idea). at about 12:45 I looked and saw a buck coming toward me.Got hold of bow and was watching him thru scope. H came from my left and was about 12 yds out when I shot. "BOOM" sounded like my blind blew up.scared me pretty bad, but kept my scopeon him. I saw the bolt hit him a little further back to the left of where I was aiming . H troted off straight awa from me with the arrow flopping around. I then looked around me to see what happened.My left limb had hit the side of blind and poked a hole thru the blind.I started checking limbs for splinter but could not feel any. So I visibly checked bow, could find nothing wrong so I got out of blind a re-cocked it with no problem and checked limbs again. found nothing wrong. I then decided to go track deer. I watched him go about 150 yds straight out from me and disappear. Tracking was difficult as not much of a blood trail. when I got to where I saw him last I thought boy is this going to be tough. Took about 10 steps and there he was. he was a 7 pt. When I got back to house I took my viXon and shot 4 shots free hand and had 4 bulls eyes. These Bows sure are TUFF. Sorry but key board is sticking. HAWK
Cossack

Re: bad luck/good luck

Post by Cossack »

Great story and a ringing endorsement for the '4-wheeler of crossbows.'
I hit an aluminum flagpole with a limb tip while shooting from the deck out back, can relate to the SURPRISE! factor. Way to go Old Timer (I'll be 73 tomorrow :P )
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I'm puzzled by your title. I found the good luck part of it, but where is the bad luck?

Congratulations!
axiom
350 SE
Waif

Post by Waif »

Oooops and Congratulations!

Blind sounds nice.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like plenty of good luck was with you. No damage to the bow, the shot still hit the deer, and you recovered him.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Congrats on the deer, and glad to hear your bow is ok! I often hunt from wood blinds and shooting houses, and having a limb smack the blind has always been a big concern of mine. Good to know it didn't mess your bow up! Good luck!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Good job :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
Tom

Post by Tom »

grouse wrote:I'm puzzled by your title. I found the good luck part of it, but where is the bad luck?

Congratulations!
I think that the bad luck part was that he did not foresee his limbs needing the clearance they need when fired.

This is a real dangerous situation. I have been around crossbows for a real long time and have seen many different things. I know of two different serious injuries caused from bows where the limbs struck an object. One was a dislocated shoulder and the other was a cracked collar bone.

Remember that these bows are stronger today then back in the day. When these bows are fired, there is a released force of energy which propels forward, when that forward force is stopped, it must go somewhere and that is usually backward into the shoulder area.

Please people, this is a real reminder to be safe and take care when out shooting or hunting.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
strum

Post by strum »

that's a great story man glad you recovered him. congrats on the kill.
another example of why quieting the cross bow isn't such a big deal after all :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

The bad luck was I thought I ruined my bow and that I didn't hit the deer hard enough to kill it. Everyone knows the good part. lol HAWK
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on your buck, I did something similiar this year shooting at a doe when one of my limb tips hit the bottom of my Thermacell and nocked the bottom of it off killed the doe because she was so close but still haven't found the Thermacell bottom.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the buck!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on yer deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Good story and happy ending. I use a dog to find my deer and I think that everyone who bow hunts should own one ! Just my opionion though
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only