climbing treestands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: climbing treestands

Post by Pydpiper »

Viper here too.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TYE

Post by TYE »

How about API I hear about them a lot.
strum

Post by strum »

TYE wrote:How about API I hear about them a lot.
API is an OK stand but if you ever try a Viper and buy an API youll always wish you had a Viper.
if you are serious about buying a stand a nother option is to check with Agingcrossbower..I think he has a Tree Walker for sale ..wouldn't hurt to ask him :D
we didn't talk about those but they are top quality also .
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

Before I got my 1st climber..I did a lot of reading no one ever said anything bad about the summit.. I have had my 3rd year I don't see how I could like one any better..
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
NFH

Post by NFH »

vixenmaster wrote:Mine don't go thru the rungs, but when you turn sideways standin up lookin behind tree. Thats when my boots at times go over abit makes you feel abit concerned & uncomfortable. If'en you put yer hand on either side & push/put weight on it it will move on you n make you queasy! :lol:
Do you have stabilizer straps on your summit? I bought mine from third hand archery. Hands down the best add-on for a summit climber. I almost quit using my summit until I got these. I'm not overly fond of heights and a stand that "jumps" if you bump it was not something I wanted to be using. With these straps you cinch them down when you get to your desired height and top as well as the bottom become rock solid. If you look up the website they have a video.
As to climbers in general; I LOVE the ability to change trees at will if you notice a change in animal movement, shift in wind, or get busted. The flip side is I cannot leave my stand in the wood because it would grow legs and walk off and I hate having to pack the stand in daily. My gear including my bow carried in front, and my stand with my pack in it on my back, I look and feel like I'm going on a 5 day Alaskan moose hunt. I like being mobile while hunting which is why I like using the climber, yet having to pack it in means being much less mobile getting to/from my hunting location. I'm still working on a solution... :?:
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
strum

Post by strum »

NFH wrote:
I LOVE the ability to change trees at will if you notice a change in animal movement, shift in wind, or get busted. The flip side is I cannot leave my stand in the wood because it would grow legs and walk off and I hate having to pack the stand in daily. My gear including my bow carried in front, and my stand with my pack in it on my back, I look and feel like I'm going on a 5 day Alaskan moose hunt. I like being mobile while hunting which is why I like using the climber, yet having to pack it in means being much less mobile getting to/from my hunting location. I'm still working on a solution... :?:
I know what you mean there ..I too feel like its a big ole load but I have streamlined my self all I can and the trade off is the most comfortable sit I have found. for the realy cold .long days I got one of those surround seats for mine.
it has more padding and blocks the wind better..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
cevans

Post by cevans »

I guess I will be the odd ball on climbing stands,,one,,no matter what anybody says,,they will make you sweat packing them no matter how light they are. Two,,,noisy going up and down tree. But,,your mobile. Just be sure and pick the right tree out and practice before using in the woods under hunting conditions. I still occasionally,,,and I mean very seldom,,use my aluminum Loggy Bayou climber, and storing the seat is a pita. Summit gives you many options as they even have a 15lb small climber that I like the looks of for mobility and thinking about getting. Most my stands are a mile off the roads if not more, in very hilly rugged cut over woods in southern Indiana. They beat moving stands all the time as I have moved my stands numerous times this year and its beginning to wear my butt down a bit as age is catching up with me. And they definitely beat hunting off the ground in the type of terrain I hunt. Practice putting the stand up before taking it to the woods and you will learn the best, fastest, and most quiet way to use a climber. Good luck hunting.
Exomax w/S 5
Varizone
BE 20" Zombies
Slick Trick 100's

Stalking is the game! Stand Hunt too.
TYE

Post by TYE »

I think I might have to sell my 2 blinds and ladder stand so I can get a nice Summit. :!:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You wont regret it, it is without doubt the most comfortable seat a person could ask for, in or out of a tree.
They have accessories too, side bags for calls and a harness, or whatever else you want in reach.

With a climber and a bow, you open yourself up to a whole new world of flexible hunting.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I have an Ol'Man Drone climbing treestand. Very nice stand and solid on the tree but it is kinda heavy. Ol"Man advertises it at 22 lbs. but I tend to think it may be a little heavier judging by my back pain. You do have the ability to adjust the angle of the top and platform sections up to 5 inches maximum.
Ol'Man Web Site
http://olmanoutdoors.com/steel-multivision-clone.html

If I had it to over again I would buy an X-Stand or a API Marksman climbing treestand.

Here is how I carry it: Military MOLLE System
Much easier to pack with this equipment and it's cheap off Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Military-MO ... 41623ab23f

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I have a cheaper climber stand (Guide Gear), and I love it. I use it on my own property so I will generally set it up the night before so as not to have to mess with the setup at oh-dark-thirty. The cinch straps are key to making it secure, and you MUST use a harness (as with any stand). I stood up to take a shot with my 12 gauge a couple weeks ago...I was leaning a bit too far back and the recoil knocked me off balance. scared to poop out of me...I caught myself before the harness did but I saw firsthand how quickly things can go wrong in a tree stand.

The cheaper Guide Gear is fine for me, but now that I have some experience, my next one will be a little lighter.......
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

The summit goliath is comfy but a little heavy for long carrying
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

ko4nrbs wrote:I have an Ol'Man Drone climbing treestand. Very nice stand and solid on the tree but it is kinda heavy. Ol"Man advertises it at 22 lbs. but I tend to think it may be a little heavier judging by my back pain. You do have the ability to adjust the angle of the top and platform sections up to 5 inches maximum.
Ol'Man Web Site
http://olmanoutdoors.com/steel-multivision-clone.html

If I had it to over again I would buy an X-Stand or a API Marksman climbing treestand.

Here is how I carry it: Military MOLLE System
Much easier to pack with this equipment and it's cheap off Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Military-MO ... 41623ab23f

Bill

Those straps look very, very comfortable!
WMU 91
Boo string
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I considered sewing padding to the underside of my Summit pack straps as soon as I bought my first one, years ago. I finally did it last month and holy moly, WHAT a difference!!!!!! :shock:

The comfort level is off the chart as compared to before, and a great fringe benefit is that the padding gives the straps some rigidity, so they stand up and out on their own. This makes it WAY easier to get my arms not only in but out of there, and I had rotator cuff surgery on my left side three years ago and am having trouble with the right now...... anything that helps here is huge!

The shoulder problems are one of the reason that I went to the crossbow. Wish I'd done it years ago! :wink:
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

I used to have a Summit Openshot. too small for me. :roll: Went to Summit bushmaster a few years back. Only 18 lbs. and larger than openshot. Love it. :) But wish it had a continuous surround bar like Viper SD so I can sit and climb. I will save my pennies and gift cards and will get one for next season for sure. :wink: Love Summit stands! :D Have an old North Star climber. Light but a pain to set up and take down and pkg for carry. very comfy. Only use it On private property where there is less risk of theft, as I set int up and leave it. It also has the pins and holes to adjust cables which is a pain also. They are out of bussines now. Summit gets my vote! :wink:
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310