climbing treestands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Re: climbing treestands

Post by Pydpiper »

ko4nrbs wrote:I have an Ol'Man Drone climbing treestand. Very nice stand and solid on the tree but it is kinda heavy. Ol"Man advertises it at 22 lbs. but I tend to think it may be a little heavier judging by my back pain. You do have the ability to adjust the angle of the top and platform sections up to 5 inches maximum.
Ol'Man Web Site
http://olmanoutdoors.com/steel-multivision-clone.html

If I had it to over again I would buy an X-Stand or a API Marksman climbing treestand.

Here is how I carry it: Military MOLLE System
Much easier to pack with this equipment and it's cheap off Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Military-MO ... 41623ab23f

Bill

Those straps look very, very comfortable!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I considered sewing padding to the underside of my Summit pack straps as soon as I bought my first one, years ago. I finally did it last month and holy moly, WHAT a difference!!!!!! :shock:

The comfort level is off the chart as compared to before, and a great fringe benefit is that the padding gives the straps some rigidity, so they stand up and out on their own. This makes it WAY easier to get my arms not only in but out of there, and I had rotator cuff surgery on my left side three years ago and am having trouble with the right now...... anything that helps here is huge!

The shoulder problems are one of the reason that I went to the crossbow. Wish I'd done it years ago! :wink:
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

I used to have a Summit Openshot. too small for me. :roll: Went to Summit bushmaster a few years back. Only 18 lbs. and larger than openshot. Love it. :) But wish it had a continuous surround bar like Viper SD so I can sit and climb. I will save my pennies and gift cards and will get one for next season for sure. :wink: Love Summit stands! :D Have an old North Star climber. Light but a pain to set up and take down and pkg for carry. very comfy. Only use it On private property where there is less risk of theft, as I set int up and leave it. It also has the pins and holes to adjust cables which is a pain also. They are out of bussines now. Summit gets my vote! :wink:
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
gab

Post by gab »

I have a Summit Goliath. Been using it for two years now and really like it except I find it uncomfortable when carrying it on my back so I carry it in a wheelbarrow and leave it cached in the woods for days at a time, padlocked with chain to a tree and covered with plastic to keep the seat dry. I realize that I am risking having it stolen, but so far so good.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

I mentioned before that I sewed padding to my Summit Revolution pack straps. That helped more than I ever imagined in comfort, but I also dropped the upper strap attachment a couple of rungs too. This raised the stand higher on my back even with looser straps and not only kept the toothed bottom end from catching on the back of my pants when walking, but made the whole shebang a whole lot easier to pack and get on and off. :wink:
TYE

Post by TYE »

I've been researching online and watching YouTube videos non stop about climbers now lol :lol:
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

xcaliber wrote:Tom, take a look at Timber Tall too, you might be interested! Look at their Brute Lite model.

I'm considering one next year because they come in at 14.5 pounds, and have the leveling feature. Made in the USA too. I do not know anyone that has one, and can only go on what I have read!

Dan
14.5 lbs. and made in USA! :shock: Never heard of the brand , but definitely worth looking into. 8) Thanks Dan :wink:
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I will sell you (or anyone actually) a brand new, never used Summit Goliath for 225.00 TYD. PM me if you're interested.
In the Wind.......
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Climbing stands definately have advantages BUT IMO, hang on stands (when considering weight and set up) gets my vote; Millinneum tree stands are by far the most comfortable and they make a climbing model as well; climbers will alert every deer in the woods when setting up especially if you are doing the set up in the dark;
I have been hunting from the ground with excellent results using the Ghillie Suit; marcanthonyoutdoors.com is one of the best web sites around; you owe it to yourself to visit and also try the ghillie suit method; just a true joy to go into any set of woods and not carry anything but your crossbow and a small fanny pack; I have limited out on tags (in several states) using this method and will eventually get away totally from using any treestand.
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

xbowholic wrote:Climbing stands definately have advantages BUT IMO, hang on stands (when considering weight and set up) gets my vote; Millinneum tree stands are by far the most comfortable and they make a climbing model as well; climbers will alert every deer in the woods when setting up especially if you are doing the set up in the dark;
I have been hunting from the ground with excellent results using the Ghillie Suit; marcanthonyoutdoors.com is one of the best web sites around; you owe it to yourself to visit and also try the ghillie suit method; just a true joy to go into any set of woods and not carry anything but your crossbow and a small fanny pack; I have limited out on tags (in several states) using this method and will eventually get away totally from using any treestand.
I don't claim to be a ninja, but I respectfully disagree with "alert every deer in the woods". A few seasons back I packed my stand and gear over a big ridge to set up in the bottom on the other side, right where a saddle in the facing ridge dropped in. The woods were a little damp which was good, but I made all efforts to go easy on the way in and climbing my chosen tree. When I got up there and was still getting my stuff together I looked up for a second and saw white flashing in the thick cover about 45 yards out in front and left of my position. Put my bino on that spot and it was Booner or very darn close rubbing a small pine, and he of course had no idea that I was there or he wouldn't have been going about his bucky business. I hadn't even raised my bow up yet! Believe me when I tell you that this was no tinhorn young buck, this dude was huge!

This was about 2:00 PM, and in the 3.5 hours I had two more bucks of the same caliber come through along with 4 more smaller ones, none of which had any idea that anything was amiss.

To be honest I would tend to agree with you in most cases and with most hunters, but......... :wink: