OLDER HUNTERS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbuckonly1

OLDER HUNTERS

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Just wondering how you older hunters with some health problems get your deer out of the woods, me and my brother hunt together we are closing in on 60 years old, we use the cabelas pull cart but we both have lots of back problems & whenever we have a deer to get out we pay for it dearly for several days after that being down in our back from all the bending & straining, just wondering if any of you other guys have any of the same problems. Thanks for listening.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
Leonard Hawkins

Re: OLDER HUNTERS

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

I am 74 , be 75 in june and I drag them out by hand 1 foot at a time,If I cant drag I take my time and quarter it out and bring it out 1 pc at a time HAWK
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I just turned 60 an have Lyme d an my balance is gone an not real smart an hunt with my sons when I can an they drag um out. when by myself I,m real picky what I shoot an where I shoot it at an don,t go as far back in the woods . when I shoot one it,s drag and rest ,drag an rest an just waiting for a heart attact an it,s one of the hardest things I ever do anymore but has to be done.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Make a phone call home and wife gathers up the kids and brings them out and they drag them out. Kids go swimming for my fish arrows too when I don't feel like jumping in cold water. It is there duty to look after Dad. :lol:
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

WOW, I am 46. I drag by hand into the open, then I pull it the rest of the way with my truck. I hope I can still get around in my 50's, 60's or 70's like you guys.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
mitch

Post by mitch »

I am 60 drag 3 deers this year.I just take my time and in the last 2 years I stay close to my canoe no more than 200 yards so it is not to hard. I also stay in shape by snowshoeing, skiing, canoeing and walking. hope to do it for an other 10 years at least.
munch

Post by munch »

only 54 and have 3 options and in this order
little black toboggan in the back
in that order but i like the first one best 800 Polaris 4x4 pulls moose fine as well with 4000lb winch up front when needed
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Be 64 wid 5 herniated Disc's. I drive me 3 wheeler to deer. Then i get whatever part of deer i can get up on back rack n tie it off. Usually if'en the deer be less than 150 lbs i can lift it up on the the rack, If'en its more then i grab the loose end & lift it up on rack n tie it off. Then i am down in back fer 2-4 days! :(
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Be 51 in Jan lower back problem if I cant reach with Polaris ranger. I call my son :D . thinkin about one of those dear carts so I don't have to call.
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'm 58 with two heriated disks in my neck,
when i get a deer i have a cart or i call my
35 yr old friend to come down and get the deer
out for me.My other friend has a Honda 4x4 ATV.
Vmaster, there's no pain like herniated disk pain!!!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I am 74 and use a rope drag with a short T handle cut from a broom stick. If I get real tired I call one of my sons for help. I also gut the deer in the woods after the kill which makes the drag a little easier. I believe that wheelie has the best solution for this problem!

My wife gets upset because I had 4 stents put in 2 years ago BUT if you take it slow and rest some you will be fine.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Waif

Post by Waif »

Wheeee!
I keep a plastic sled in the truck on top of a piece of plywood cut to fit bed and slide out for a ramp.It helps even when there is no snow.
Have a wheel chair lift that is supposed to lift five hundred pounds but fails.
It can get a deers head to tail gate but its getting old fighting it.
Have a homemade snatch block made from a sheave and folded piece of flat stock I have had to chain to a tree and using every rope I brought, snake a deer out of a swamp after inch worming it in range of all ropes length to truck by sitting and hand over handing rope to deer till near swamp edge.
Been getting more picky about where to drop deer!
Had a hard time leaving the little ones alone this year,they look so easy to move l.o.l..
Missing a leg just outside hipjoint makes being creative necessary but the rewards of getting a deer from field to freezer still makes a coming winter bearable. All ways manage to sit in a blood puddle before field dressing is complete,its a tradition I guess.
Last year I had two down,one a mature buck ,and it was long after dark before escaping the pricker vines and coyotes ,what fun!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
gab

Post by gab »

I too am closing in on 60. I drag the deer a foot at a time through the woods until I reach a trail and then use a wheelbarrow the rest of the way to the truck. If I get tired, I stop and have a rest. When moose hunting, I am usually with my brother who fortunately owns a quad. The moose comes out in quarters in a small trailer pulled by the quad.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

73. Gardenway cart with a gooseneck hitch to my ATV. Cart is built so it stand up on it's end,pull deer partly into cart, tie it to front brace, leverage down with the hitch. Drive home just blocks away.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

If you're on public forest or WMA where no motorized vehicles are allowed, the best option I've found is a wheeled game cart. It's still hard work but rolling beats dragging any day in my book. I see you're also in Alabama, a sled won't be of much use here. :lol: Buddy of mine keeps a block and tackle in his truck for the times when he has to get one out of a deep holler. I've never done it myself but he says it makes it so much easier to get 'em up the steep parts, he ties one end off to a tree and the other to the cart, pulls it up, then moves to a tree higher up and repeats. I've got one on my skinning pole I got off ebay for about $15, it's a 7:1 ratio and you can lift a deer in the air with very little effort, I can see where it would make it much easier to get one up a steep incline.
This is the one I got.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers