G5 Striker Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

G5 Striker Question

Post by CT.HNTR »

I have done some test shooting with the G5 Strikers, they group very well and the POI is very close to me field tips. I am shooting an Exocet 200 with FMJ bolts. The blades seem very sharp and I like the cut on contact tip. The only problem I am having is that one blade always seems loose. No matter what broadhead and bolt combination I try I cannot get all three blades to lock up tight. No matter what I do one blade always feels loose and has some play. Is there any way to fix this?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
turbo

Re: G5 Striker Question

Post by turbo »

I shoot the Strikers out of my 380 and like them very much.They are very accurrate and the new blades are good n sharp.I have 6 of those broadheads and all blades are tight and secure.I would take them back to where you bought them,you dont want one to malfunction when you heed it.
I use one as my target arrow and after many shots in the block the blades stay tight.When you figure it out please let us Striker users know what the problem was.Thanks
LIVING THE DREAM
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Hi Turbo,

At first I thought I may have picked up a bad batch so I purchased another three pack but got the same results. I screwed all three heads onto several FMJ and Firebolts with the same results. Two blades always lock up firmly with no movement and the third blade is loose and can be wiggled around. It does not feel so loose that it is going to fall off but it is clearly not locked up like the other two. I assumed others have noticed the same thing but if that’s not the case I will need to see what the problem could be on my end. I have only tried the 100 grain and have not tried the 125 grain yet. What weight are you using?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That sounds very strange. I would guess a couple of things. One, are you assembling them properly (no offense meant), and two, they made a faulty lot. Maybe something happened in the machine when they were making them and there's a bad batch. Either way, I wouldn't be shooting anything that wasn't perfect. Contact the company, I bet they take care of you...and they should throw in a little something extra for your troubles of back and forth and so on. Keep us updated.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
turbo

Post by turbo »

I am using 125gr broadbeads,I checked again and all blades are secured :)
LIVING THE DREAM
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

This is now going to drive me nuts until I figure it out. I am going to pick up another pack of both the 100 and 125 grain heads and try them again. I am also going to check the face of my front inserts in my bolts to make sure they are perfectly square. I’ll report back my findings.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
turbo

Post by turbo »

keep us posted, this is interesting and confusing :?
LIVING THE DREAM
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have used the Magnum version for a few years now. I've never noticed the problem you describe.

It has to be either the slot for one blade is a bit too long, or, the blade is too short for the slot.

I presume you bought new blades and tried them. Is it the same slot that is always loose, or did you pay attention to that aspect?

My guess is one slot got machined too long. Get a replacement. If a blade doesn't fit TIGHT, if that blade hits bone, it may get forced out of the slot. You may wind up with a two blade broadhead that corkscrews off path.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have tried several brands that are very similar, and look to be made by them for Bass Pro, and Cabelas. I would suggest you use a broadhead wrench to tighten them up, very tight! I have noticed a slight amount of movement, and even after snugging down hard, it was barely noticeable, but the heads had great flight, and POI was the same as field points to 50 yards. Those blades engage into the ferule a good distance, so they will not fail on impact! I think you will be fine them. I have a friend using Slick Trick heads of about the same size, and this condition is also evident on a few blades. If you want a bit of piece of mind, mark the loose blade with a felt tip marker, and reposition it in another slot on the ferule, also mark the ferule if possible. My guess is the slot in the ferule is a few thousandths larger.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Look at the brass washers that the rear of the blade backs up onto. With repetitive shooting the rear of the blade will put a dent into the brass washer. It that is the case then you will get some slop. Turn the washer so that the dents are between the blades or flip them so the dents point toward the front insert.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice. I had not thought about marking the slot and blade and then changing their position to see if the issue repeats but will do so next weekend. It very well can be that a slot is a few thousandths to long. I really want to use these heads but need to get this issue resolved before I will have confidence to do so.
I will post back with my results.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
125 Grain Slick tricks
massbow

Post by massbow »

strikers are my go to, very good heads! Hope you figure out your problem
Team 355