Various questions for Crossbow hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nyexhunter

Various questions for Crossbow hunting

Post by nyexhunter »

Hi I'm new to the board and just purchased a Matrix 330 to use for deer hunting. As I have never used a crossbow before, I have a few questions in order benefit from the experienced here on the board.

What is the normal sequence of cocking the bow prior to going in the woods. Would you cock it at your camp prior to driving a few miles to your spot or just prior to going in the woods? Also, if you are using an ATV do you wait until you get off your ATV to cock it or can you cock it and put it in the case and then drive to get to your spot?

How long can you keep it cocked, If I come out of the woods for lunch should I uncock it?

I bought a Carbon Express decocking arrow based on a friend's recommendation, however, the back end of the arrow is not flat - it is moon shaped. Can I still use it or do I need to make the nock end flat?

Any tips are appreciated. I have been bow hunting for many years with a vertical compound bow, so this is a whole new world for me and I have a lot to learn

Thanks
GrassyKnoll

Re: Various questions for Crossbow hunting

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Welcome aboard..
I'm new to crossbows myself and to the forum as well..

"I bought a Carbon Express decocking arrow based on a friend's recommendation, however, the back end of the arrow is not flat - it is moon shaped. Can I still use it or do I need to make the nock end flat?"

I do not believe you can use a moon on Excalibur's bows.. They are designed for a flat nock I believe... As far as letting down from full draw without an arrow in the bow, you can use your rope cocker to do this.. There is a video on the site here that demonstrates how to do it.. Hope this helps a little...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/videos/player/373
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Cock it before going into woods or at your stand just make sure to put the safety on.Uncock your bow with your cocking rope!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
bowmaker

Post by bowmaker »

This will be my second deer season with my Axiom, so I am pretty new to it also. I always wait to cock my bow when I get to the stand or blind and keep my rope aid hooked on the string so that I won't forget it at the house. Watch the video and learn how to decock using the cocking rope. This will remove any extra noise or thump from that decocking arrow or even the risk of a partial or complete dry fire. Develope a strict routine when you cock your bow whether hunting or practicing. I hook the rope hooks on the string, then cock it, then flip the safty on, then visually check the safty, then load an arrow only from the top to keep hands and arms clear of the string, JUST IN CASE. Making things a habit and doing it the exact same way every time will keep excitment or distraction from causing you big problems down the road.

You will be hooked for a long time if you already enjoy hunting especially as you get older, I am currently 65 and enjoy it as much as when I was 25. So far I have killed a 3 year old buck last fall and a very nice gobbler this spring both with Firebolt arrows and Schwaker broad heads.
Get set up and do a lot of practicing before the season and you should be very sucessful.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi and welcome. :D
1.) Only shoot flat nocks (this is just easier, more accurate, and reduced possibility of string damage
2.) Return the de cocking arrow. You have no need of such nonsense with your Excalibur. Those are for wheeled crossbows that quite frankly, they should be ashamed to sell....can't de cock? That's like not being able to unload a gun once loaded.
3.) Treat your crossbow like you'd treat a loaded weapon. Personally, I'd carry it uncocked on any atv or while driving. Unless you're actively hunting on route to your stand, why carry it loaded(or cocked). Get to or in your stand, then load. If you load it before getting into your stand, NEVER PUT AN ARROW IN IT WHILE RAISING OR LOWERING THE BOW. (I'm not yelling at you but that's a pretty important point :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

I personally cock my crossbow at my stand. Pull the crossbow into the stand with a rope, cocked but not loaded. Load the crossbow once settled in the stand. If I leave the stand without having taken a shot, I unload the crossbow before lowering it with the rope. I uncock the bow either at the foot of my stand or back at my vehicle, depending on what time I'm leaving the stand.

I leave crossbows cocked all day with no issues at all.

I have shot moon nocks with an Excal successfully, but found I liked flat nocks a lot more. If you do choose to shoot them, take extra care to make sure the arrow is loaded correctly... if you forget which is your cock feather you will end up with the moon nock not engaging the string correctly, which will result in a partial dry fire and potential damage to your bow, arrow, and perhaps even person. :)

~E
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

Loose the moon knock arrow. All good advice especially what bowmaker said.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Thanks so much for the advice. Just got the bow,scope,arrows, rope cocker and cranking device. I need to put everything together and look at the video.

Hopefully, I can get the hang of decocking with the rope.

Probably will not be able to get to play with it right away as I have a list of things to do before going on vacation in a few days and my wife will not allow me to get too distracted :wink:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

my wife will not allow me to get too distracted
Let her shoot it a time or three, lol........
"Eze 18:21"
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....welcome aboard Nyexhunter!....I cant believe that I had all of your same questions last year...There is just SOOOOO much to learn here at "Excalibur University "....The professors have just so much education and experience...and so willing to freely dispense of their knowledge.

I agree with all that was said previously. Don't ever think you have "learnt" it all because you will soon find out there is more to learn!

All the best to you on this forum, with your new bow and in the woods this year...

Always remember to put your safety on where ever you choose to cock your bow!

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

nyexhunter wrote:Thanks so much for the advice. Just got the bow,scope,arrows, rope cocker and cranking device. I need to put everything together and look at the video.

Hopefully, I can get the hang of decocking with the rope.

Probably will not be able to get to play with it right away as I have a list of things to do before going on vacation in a few days and my wife will not allow me to get too distracted :wink:
Did you buy a stringing aid. If you haven't you need to get one asap. This will allow you to adjust/set your brace height. That's the distance between the split in the rail where it meets the bow. I keep mine at 3/4" to the front of the string. I've marked the side of my rail with a sharpy for quick reference. Your string will stretch and settle and you'll need to adjust it by adding twists in the string to make it shorter. A constant brace height will help maintain the same poi..
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Welcome, once you get the hang of it you will be fine. They are so much fun to shoot!!! I haven't picked up a gun in over three years. A lot more cheaper too, no more bullets. Have fun and be safe. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Paul

I did buy the stringing aid as well. I got the set up from Wyvern and there was a small instruction sheet regarding string brace height and adjusting after several shots of break in for the string.

I bought an additional string, so I think that I will break in both strings, so I will be set if I need to replace a string.

Thanks to all for the help. I may be asking more questions after I finally get a chance to assemble the bow and shoot. That may not be for a few weeks after we get back from vacation. In the meantime I am working on the honey do list prior to leaving early next week. Probably should have waited with my initial questions, but I'm like a kid that just got a new toy - pretty excited to start playing.

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

Years ago when I first started using a crossbow when I got out of my truck I would cock the bow, put the safety on, and sling it over my shoulder for the walk in to the stand or blind. One day I got to the blind and noticed the safety was OFF. I know I had flipped it on, but (probably) a small branch had flipped it off. Got to thinking of how the string going up my back if something bumped the trigger convinced me to change my routine a bit. :lol:
I now simply put the rope cocking aid on the string so I can cock the bow quickly if necessary and carry it that way. That also serves as a reminder to cock the bow before I climb up in a stand or enter the blind. I cock the bow, flip the safety on (a habit now - cock bow, flip safety ON) and attach it to the haul-up line. It is never loaded until I'm seated in the stand or blind and I always double check the safety when I load an arrow to be certain it's ON.
Some members use a rubber band to hold the safety ON when carrying it, but I recommend just putting the rope cocking aid on the string and waiting until you're at the blind or stand.
wabi
galamb

Post by galamb »

I cock when I get to the stand.

According to Excalibur you can leave it cocked all day without issue.

I have been shooting moon nocks for about 5 years now - well over 2000 shots (range in my back yard) on the same string with ZERO issues.

They shoot perfectly and I have put more than one arrow right onto the nock of another one in the target at 25 yards.

I switched to the moon nocks after getting a couple of (misfires) string jumps with the flemish string (Excalibur Flemish, not aftermarket) on the flat nocks.

You just have to be careful/particular about getting "the" cock feather facing down.

I un-cock/de-cock with the cocking device. The de-cocking arrows work well for those mechanical contraptions and you absolutely can use them with your Excalibur, but could have saved the few bucks and used your cocking device.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS