WHAT IS YOUR LONGEST KILL SHOT ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bubba

WHAT IS YOUR LONGEST KILL SHOT ?

Post by bubba »

Just curious last night thinking about the up coming season and wondered. This past season was my first with a crossbow, and i'm in love.. Shooting an Ibex my longest shot was at 37 yards. I know some of you members talk about shooting nailing 2" bulls on paper all day long. What say you? is your longest and what bow............. my longest rifle shot 130 yards with a browning hi wall in 7mm mag........
Last edited by bubba on Sun May 31, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
georgiaboy

Re: WHAT IS YOUR LONGEST KILL SHOT ?

Post by georgiaboy »

Longest for me with a crossbow is 39yds with an Ibex. :D
With a gun 274 ranged yards with my .06 :D :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

35 yards, Excalibur Vortex.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

last Columbus day 40yrds with my darton 3900 out of a old api tree stand to this day I don't know how I pulled it off..out west a few years back I shot elk at 463 yrds with my 300 weatherby..
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

47yds with Matrix 380, With My 300. Win. Mag 385yds , My longest Muzzleloader kill was 255yds ( Savage Smokeless ) . :D
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Big John

Post by Big John »

This is normally something I do not post much on. However, when teaching my partner Alfred, four or five years back,
I was sitting against a tree waiting on the Deer to move from bedding to feed.
After about an hour or two they came, but, this time they new something was up and stayed out of range on purpose! normally I would let them pass, however.... this time I said no and ranged them feeding at 70 yds.
I was using my Exomax. When one came a little closer I let her have it broadside at 68 yds. The Doe went only 50 yds. into the corn rows and piled up! That was my longest Deer shot to date. I will normally not take those shots. But when confident, I believe in my mind, I can do them. And if the situation arose again and they were eating, I 'd probably do it again.
Remember, last year I took that Tom Turkey with the 380 Matrix at 52 yds. So, I wont judge anyone on distance. Ever.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

34 yards with my trusty Exomag, hit a doe almost straight on, arrow entered about the collar bone and went longways through her and came out the opposite hind quarter. That was number two for the day, the only double I've ever got with a crossbow, it was a good day :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

42 yards with my compound... 35 yards with my Phoenix... I shot 5 deer with my Phoenix in 3 years and all but the one (35 yards) was 20 yards or less... I have been lucky I guess...I just bought a brand new Axiom SMF and with practice will be confident out to 50 yards
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
galamb

Post by galamb »

27 yards with my Vix II.

And if I only look back over the past 10 deer seasons, that waaaayyy further than the two rifle deer I took (20 and 22 yards with the 30.06) or my black powder (17 yards, 45 cal roundball) or last recurve bambi (11 yards, 66" custom).

I can't "see" 200 yards - have trouble with 100 and when bow hunting although I have 35 yard shooting lanes and wouldn't hesitate to take the shot, have never had to "yet".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

Longest with a crossbow well I shot 2 last year at 35 yards ranged.. They were almost a month apart from each other... Vertical bow; 71 yards back in the day. I shot a lot and thought I could kill any deer within range... I learned though that deer move between when I shot and the arrow got there, so I quit the hero shots....
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
bubba

Post by bubba »

That be some good shooting.. Big John so far 68 yards with a bow will be hard to beat....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

galamb wrote:27 yards with my Vix II.

And if I only look back over the past 10 deer seasons, that waaaayyy further than the two rifle deer I took (20 and 22 yards with the 30.06) or my black powder (17 yards, 45 cal roundball) or last recurve bambi (11 yards, 66" custom).

I can't "see" 200 yards - have trouble with 100 and when bow hunting although I have 35 yard shooting lanes and wouldn't hesitate to take the shot, have never had to "yet".
20 yards with an '06, I bet it left powder burns on the fur :lol: :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
SEW

Post by SEW »

Seriously , there can be negative ramifications to answering this question. Realistic ethical maximum ranges can vary tremendously depending on the shooter's skill, equipment, and a host of other factors. Yes, I'm aware of potential game movement. However, depending on the situation, potential for movement can normally be predicted. IE, a deer lowering its head to in a field, is unlikely to move in the next second.
Oh, the answer! Quite a ways. :D
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

well . . . so far its 37 yards last year, my first kill w/ my matrix 355.
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Crossbow Exomax - 52 yards
Rifle Weatherby 7mm - 300 yards
Flintlock Lyman 54 cal. - 45 yards

I experienced "Bang Flop" with both long guns, but had a extensive tracking job on the 52 yard Exomax harvest. I now limit all my archery shots to 40 yards maximum. Just a personal choice :D
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax