What's Your Longest Crossbow Shooting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

What's Your Longest Crossbow Shooting?

Post by paulaboutform »

Just like the subject said. I'm not talking about hunting shots, I'm talking about ranges you shoot and practice at. Freehand, off the bench, with broadheads, etc... I'm just curious.

For me, my archery club range only goes to 65yards so that's my common range. i shoot that range off the bench, sitting with a bipod trigger stix and freehand standing. Both with field points and broadheads. I can shoot out to 110yards on the gun side of my club but it's a bit more of an ordeal that involves packing a table and my target out with a hand truck because I need the target high enough to see over a burm. I haven't tested broadheads at 100yards-110yards and have only shot off the bench. I'll be playing with a new arrow recipe and setting up a new custom bow (which I'll discuss when it's in my hands....hopefully at Boofesta). Hopefully time permits and I'll get to dial in and do some long range broadhead shooting and try my hand at some off hand 90-110 yard shooting. I'm sure the long rangers will agree there's just something fun about the long distance launch. I'd like to hear about other shooters experience, maybe it's 50yards or maybe 150yards. ??? Let's hear it. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
vixenmaster

Re: What's Your Longest Crossbow Shooting?

Post by vixenmaster »

75 yds is all my home range is cleared fer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bones

Post by Bones »

Regularly bench rest at 100. been playing at that yardage for a few year's now. As for fixed blade so far a bolt cutter is hard to beat at 100. Have robin hooded them ( cutter ) at 60 , just starting to play with mechanical's now. My exo 200 was real good at 100 with a hawk sr 100 yd increment's but I'm still struggling past 80 with my 380 with the same scope. Have another arrow combo I want to try for it. Buddy and i practice 50-60 yd freehand usually... ( certainly opens up the group's ...LOL ) need more practice for that.My furthest after 3 try's was smacking a roughly 16"x 16" rock across a river ranged at 141 yd's. Why we go the distance because we can, albeit a long shot were we hunt would be 35 fairly thick.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

For me normally 50 yards because that was all the Varizone was good for and about all the room I have. Since I got the Micro I have ventured into the neighbors yard to see what 60 was like. I was impressed.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Normally 50 yards for me, have shot at 60, but not often. I like to practice 20 - 40 yards mostly free hand because i hunt free hand out of my tree stand.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

That's excellent guys. Let's keep em comin. I know Sew and Ironoggin have been know to play at distance as well. Let's hear what you're doing. :D

Paul
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,ve shot at 80yds. quite a bit from the bench testing arrows an broadheads . Not much forgiving at that range an find wind,weather seems to affect poi quite a bit. all broadheads I have shot at that range have been lower than fieldpoints an some more than others. mostly shoot the same arrow over an over for great groups with some 3 shot groups under a inch with my best arrows. everyday seems different for poi for me at long range.most of my shooting 50yds. sitting like I hunt. I shoot ok off hand but only if I absolutely have to an no other way at game.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Bones wrote:Regularly bench rest at 100. been playing at that yardage for a few year's now. As for fixed blade so far a bolt cutter is hard to beat at 100. Have robin hooded them ( cutter ) at 60 , just starting to play with mechanical's now. My exo 200 was real good at 100 with a hawk sr 100 yd increment's but I'm still struggling past 80 with my 380 with the same scope. Have another arrow combo I want to try for it. Buddy and i practice 50-60 yd freehand usually... ( certainly opens up the group's ...LOL ) need more practice for that.My furthest after 3 try's was smacking a roughly 16"x 16" rock across a river ranged at 141 yd's. Why we go the distance because we can, albeit a long shot were we hunt would be 35 fairly thick.
Shooting rocks!!! :shock: ...at 141 yards!!! :shock: Holy Cow Bones, (pun intended) why would you be shooting rocks? I love that range, but rocks!? Tell me you don't light cigars with $20.00 bills. :lol:

Paul

.....if I have the option of setting up in a blind or stand I'll always opt to use my trigger stix bipod or tripod. Just as I'd rather shoot something at 5 yards than 50yards, but it's still nice knowing I can reach out further either way, ethically. :D

Paul
Bones

Post by Bones »

Shooting rocks!!! :shock: ...at 141 yards!!! :shock: Holy Cow Bones, (pun intended) why would you be shooting rocks? I love that range, but rocks!? Tell me you don't light cigars with $20.00 bills. :lol:

Paul

.....if I have the option of setting up in a blind or stand I'll always opt to use my trigger stix bipod or tripod. Just as I'd rather shoot something at 5 yards than 50yards, but it's still nice knowing I can reach out further either way, ethically. :D

Paul[/quote]

I usually dummy a few arrow's over the summer mostly splitting the end's swapping out insert weight so I cut the end off drop in a heavier insert and have at :D They were garbage anyway !! :lol: That rock was done resting off the box on my quad.
Big John

Post by Big John »

I can shoot any yardage I want at my hunting property. All of my arrow testing before sales is done there. Before selling to ironnoggin his arrows, I had to develop some, since he wanted long range missiles!
Every bow that comes out I get to try a different set of arrows and figure the best combo to match the bow.
Then I get to play for myself! :)
From forearm rests I shoot out to 60 yds regularly. Always at rineharts.
I was asked by Boo a few times to post long range shooting to help sell more arrows. He is good people! Always trying to help! 8)
But I do not. It is a great source of fun for me an I like to keep it with me. Just to know what I speak of when asked.
I love to shoot 80 to 100 yds. I believe there is nothing more fun when shooting than to go out to great distances and smack a target! :D These bows are truly amazing.
That is why I have no qualms shooting Deer or other game at 60 yds. If you feel good at it, do it, if not, don't. It's all good! :)
However, The scopes that are supplied with the bows are not sufficient for the long range applications. So an alternative is required. HHA or Hawke SR or Other superior devices is needed to shoot those.
I have never shot broadheads out past 70 yds. The groups seemed to be around 6"in. and opening. This with fixed blade boltcutter and G5's. But fieldpoints, yes. As well, the amount of weight, FOC, Helical, offset, all play well into the accuracy out there! And the only way to answer the questions is to do it. Ten people who shoot out there at those distances will each have a recipe for doing it, but there "will" be something that is close in common with them all.

Thanks Paul! Great thread.

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Big John

Post by Big John »

Bones:

I'm sure that rock had it coming anyway right :lol: ?!
Great Shooting!

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

When sighting in my Varizone scope,I shot out to 50 yards using a shooting bench and a range finder.I was shooting Easton 2219 aluminum arrows with a 150 grain Bolt Cutter Broad Head.Was able to put the arrow inside the bullseye the size of a 50 cent piece consistently.However,I was not able to hit the bulls eye at all when I switched over to a carbon arrow without resighting my scope.I no longer shoot carbon arrows since switching back to my Easton 2219 aluminum arrows.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Big John wrote:Bones:

I'm sure that rock had it coming anyway right :lol: ?!
Great Shooting!
Not sure I'd call it great shooting ?? rather judgement? There is no increment's left in the scope after 100 so I just guessed looking at the spacing from 90-100 and figured that should be about 110 , this should be about 120 etc. etc. Do Know on my scope 140 is basically where the glass meet's the tube :lol: Am certain if I drop a HHA and a leupold on it would be a totally different game? And yes after looking at that rock for how many year's up moose hunting that was it had to take him out.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks for some great replies y'all. Some great insight John, Iagree whole heartedly that the best way to determine what works is to actually do the testing. I'm looking forward to getting to meet you in person and maybe swap some recipes and a little tech talk...maybe even do some shooting. My only concern is that Boofest may not be long enough as I'm looking forward to spending some time with a number of members. :mrgreen:
Big John

Post by Big John »

Would love to sit and talk with anyone who will listen. And Im always glad to hear new info as well ! Hope we can sit and talk Paul.
I must say this though, Boofest is far to short to talk in depth with everyone.

See you soon!

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]