Broadheads-solid or vented...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by jody5252 »

Greetings. For fixed 2, or even 3 blade heads. Which do you think is better, solid or vented blades, and why? Would arrow speed (when being used on different types of bows, i.e. x-bow, compound, re-curve) have anything to do with BH flight/accuracy? All opinions and/or facts, appreciated... Thanks, J.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
amythntr

Re: Broadheads-solid or vented...

Post by amythntr »

...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Solid fixed bladed BH's have abit more wind plane to them n maynot be as accurate from higher speed crossbows at longer ranges. The wind/air catches the solid blade n can create unwanted turbulance. Bh's of the solid n large blades will steer the arrow n there fore will need larger longer stiffer vanes/feathers to give better rudder effect
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Most "bad" broad head flight can be traced back to poor arrow design/assembly. I don't know if a solid head of the same size as a vented would steer more or not.......seems like size would matter more than solid or vented to me. My advice is to get the best possible custom made arrows you can afford, and then try out a few different high quality BHs. You will likely find that most fly well on good arrows.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

vixenmaster wrote:Solid fixed bladed BH's have abit more wind plane to them n maynot be as accurate from higher speed crossbows at longer ranges. The wind/air catches the solid blade n can create unwanted turbulance. Bh's of the solid n large blades will steer the arrow n there fore will need larger longer stiffer vanes/feathers to give better rudder effect
That is what I kinda' thought. I have no experience with solid heads. I have been using bear razor heads for as long as I been archery hunting. My supply of them is low, and You cannot find any except if you get lucky and find them on e-bay. I use Magnus heads also. Both heads fly very well out to 40 yds., then they start to drift to the left... I was just considering a different BH and wanted to try a shorter/wider head. Like, Phat head, 145gr., NPA 145gr., Strickland Helix, 150gr. Magnus came out with the Hornet, but 125gr. only... Thanks for the input, J.
Last edited by jody5252 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

One I thought looked promising was Dirt Nap Gear's DRT broadhead. You might like it.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

nchunterkw wrote:It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

One I thought looked promising was Dirt Nap Gear's DRT broadhead. You might like it.
Yes. They are a nasty lookin' head. I was considering them. For 150gr., you have to add collars to the ferrule, which means less threaded area, resulting in heads coming loose... So I am told... Thanks, J.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

amythntr wrote:...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Yes indeed. Like to hear kitty purr... :lol: I am just looking into possibly trying a solid head. Many years ago (more then I care to remember) I always heard that they would plane badly, but that was with vert. bows and slower arrow speeds... Thanks, J.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

jody5252 wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:It may seem like a solid head would drift more than a vented head, but it's all about how the wind blows over the blades and the Bernoulli effect. Sometimes a vented blade will act the same way a solid one does due to the airflow. That's why I say just try 'em

Yes. They are a nasty lookin' head. I was considering them. For 150gr., you have to add collars to the ferrule, which means less threaded area, resulting in heads coming loose... So I am told... Thanks, J.

I had not heard that - but good to know. I would think as long as it's tight before the shot you would be in good shape. Certainly not going to come loose by shooting it. Target practice maybe...Still, a little string wax on the threads might do the trick.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

jody5252 wrote:
amythntr wrote:...I have shot Thunderheads in the past which I believe is vented...I think there is no right answer to this question....as different children like to eat different foods...I would say what ever makes your crossbow purr is what you should be shooting! JMTC....

Yes indeed. Like to hear kitty purr... :lol: I am just looking into possibly trying a solid head. Many years ago (more then I care to remember) I always heard that they would plane badly, but that was with vert. bows and slower arrow speeds... Thanks, J.
Faster speeds will only make things worse. But also back then many BHs were assembled by he archer and if they were not done to spin perfectly you would get bad BH flight. Nowadays high quality BHs like Magnus, Slick Trick and the like are manufactured to much tighter tolerances.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

nchunterkw wrote:
jody5252 wrote:

I had not heard that - but good to know. I would think as long as it's tight before the shot you would be in good shape. Certainly not going to come loose by shooting it. Target practice maybe...Still, a little string wax on the threads might do the trick.
Good idea. I am sure they would not come loose before the shot, but with my luck, they would work loose in the quiver... I am sure they are good heads. That was the only negative thing that I heard about them...
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

nchunterkw wrote:
jody5252 wrote:

Faster speeds will only make things worse. But also back then many BHs were assembled by he archer and if they were not done to spin perfectly you would get bad BH flight. Nowadays high quality BHs like Magnus, Slick Trick and the like are manufactured to much tighter tolerances.
How do you like the FMJ x-bow arrows? I see that you use them. I use the 400's on my 50lb. Bear bow. Truly amazing how much more accurate I am shooting with these arrows...
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The best answers have been given, and my only input is this, I sight my equipment in to 40 yards with the heads I have chosen for the bow, or crossbow. Usually they are very close, and when i go to fixed heads I use NAP Thunderheads because they work, and i have a bunch of them. I would not argue that they are the best, I will argue that they are a good value, and I never got a bad one in a pack! There are so many these days to choose from, and a lot of good ones for sure. Pick one you like, tune to it, and go hunt with confidence!

Good luck! 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The FMJ bolts are the heaviest I could find and I use them for bison and hogs. They allow me to get well over 500 grains with 150 grain broad heads. I shot 6 different arrows with Magnus 2 blade stingers into a 1 1/2 inch bullseye at 40 yards so accuracy for me is fine. I see them as high quality shafts with similar accuracy to my Black Eagles. My only gripe is that even though they sell a brass insert for them you cannot order them that way. Since I shoot 20" arrows the easiest way I have found to replace the aluminum inserts was to buy 22" arrows (same price) and just cutoff the insert end. Otherwise they are a bugger to get out and you stand a good chance of damaging the arrows
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have tried the dirt nap flys ok but i found it to be a little on the weak side bent them just pulling them out of my target.best fixed bh that i have found are slick tricks ramcats helix magnus i do test a lot of broadheads these seem to the best so far jmo------------ dont know what will come next