My new Grizzly was dry fired by relative today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cibby

My new Grizzly was dry fired by relative today

Post by Cibby »

Today the worst happened at least at the time it seemed like my Grizzly was gone.My son in law dry fired my 1 month old Grizzly today . He has a crossbow that goes into safe when cocked. Last thing I told him him when I handed him the Grizzly was put the safety on after you cock it because it doesn't go into safety automaticly. I wanted to cock it for him but he wanted to do it. He has a Barnett recurve and it has lighter poundage to cock. I don't know if he heard what I said or in the moment just forgot. After cocking the Grizzly he sat on the bench and was looking thru the scope but had not put it on the rest I turned to answer a question from my daughter and I heard a Whomp! What the heck did you do I said probably shouted it his face turned red as a ripe tomato ...I'm not sure he said to me I looked at my daughter and she said dad in a low voice.. I asked him if he was ok took the crossbow and went into the garage he said he was sorry. I looked over the Grizzly checked every bolt checked the limbs the string nothing looked damaged. Well I took it out and put on my shooting glasses put it on the bench and shot 6 arrows it was still dead on at 20 and 30 yards. Again checked every inch of the crossbow and went out and shot 6 more arrows thru it and it was good. Is there anything else I should check or do or watch for. My son in law refused to shoot it when I asked him if he wanted to try it again.. I blame myself for this he has a crossbow and has shot with me in the past with his Barnett and my old crossbow I should have been right in his ear at the bench and walked him thru the first shot instead of telling him it does not go into safe when cocked and thinking he heard and understood me... I know he feels bad I feel bad to but I hope there is no unseen damage. I need your feedback if it shot good still and I don't see any damage is it ok.
longbow joe

Re: My new Grizzly was dry fired by relative today

Post by longbow joe »

Im sure its fine. Dry fired my matrix 330 about 300 shots ago worried a lot im over it !
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

As suggested many times... rub the limbs lightly with a cotton ball, if no strands adhear to or grab at your limbs your pretty good to go.

A cheap insurance in the event of a dry-fire is a ADF from Danny Miller. I paid about $50 for mine from him along with another $25 for a set of his Baby Bumpers... Double insurance against future dry-fires :wink:

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

as stated, rub a cotton ball over the limbs to check for any damage. you might notice a few blemishes you didn't notice before but you probably never looked it over so good. :lol:
I dri fired my 310 shortly after I got it and no damage done. If you had the original string on it that probably saved you. I would also have to suggest an ADF as they are pretty cheap insurance :wink:

Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Cibby

Post by Cibby »

I will follow your advice as I learn more almost every time I'm on the forum..whew! You guys made me feel a lot better and I'll pass this on to my son in law I know he feels embarrassed it happened. All I could see was me heading out the first day with the old Barnett recurve and my 12yard shooting limit. Thanks again for your advice.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Most of us have a similar story......It's not "if", more like "when"........
"Eze 18:21"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Glad the Grizzly is OK. Sounds like you have received a break on this D.F.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I don't trust anyone with my 355 but me, get in a routine
Cock, safety on, arrow on rail. That's what I do.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

After you realized everything was cool, you should've said to your son-in-law, "Now try that with a Barnett!"
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

First off glad everything seems ok with your bow.

Second...welcome to the Dry Fire Club! It's not a matter of if it's gonna happen but when. Did it with my 355 when I had it and promptly bought an ADF after and still did it.

Have done it a few times with my Micro now. I have a sequence I go through and even with that I've heard that unmistakable sound as I watch an invisible arrow go into the target.
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
bubba

Post by bubba »

As said glad all is ok. Looks like luck was on your side this time. I wouldn't trust anyone with my bows without a A.D.F.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

ADF is a must ! I don't trust anyone with my bows , I don't even trust myself ! Lol !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Normous

Post by Normous »

[quote=] "Now try that with a Barnett!"[/quote]
:lol:
X2
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Tell your son in law not to feel badly. I was saved by my ADF twice just at Boofest! :oops: As stated, I believe the ADF is a must and I wouldn't be without it.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

BrotherRon wrote: If you had the original string on it that probably saved you.
I have seen this posted a few times recently - but I think this is "old" thinking.

Please chime in if I am wrong.

The Exo Series bows came with a Dacron EL string - which was more forgiving etc. - especially in a dry fire situation. If you upgraded to a Fast Flight Flemish, or other custom string - you gained several FPS (like 12) because you were upgrading to a much stronger (and less forgiving) string material like D97 etc.

NOW.....with the Matrix and Micros, while they still come with an EL string - the material is D97, so that string is no more forgiving than a custom Flemish. That is why you don't see a drastic speed increase when switching from the stock EL to a Flemish.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><