quill inserts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobcat

quill inserts

Post by bobcat »

can they be removed and replaced with brass? if so how?

thanks
hankenhunter

Re: quill inserts

Post by hankenhunter »

I gently put mine in a vice with a small piece of plywood on each side to protect arrow, tighten enough that you can't pull it out, screw a field point on and heat the field point only with a lighter. Test by grabbing the point with pliers and gently twist. If no movement, heat some more. The glue will soften and the insert will slide out. I use hot glue sticks to glue my inserts in by using the same heating method. Hold field point with pliers, screw on brass insert, use heat on insert till hot then rub the glue stick on the insert to transfer glue. Then quickly insert into quill. Remove field point from insert and then tap arrow with insert down on table to seat fully. Wipe any excess glue off and you're done. If you're in a rush you can cool the insert under tap water. To remove easily, see above. Have fun!
Hank
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

thanks! where can i buy brass inserts that fit the quills? what do the standard quill inserts weigh?
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

where would i find what size brass inserts will fit in quill arrows ? and what weight alum is in them now?
williamsalan64

Post by williamsalan64 »

bobcat, did you find where you can get these brass inserts?
Size?
Thanks Alan
308 Short
Annihilator 150 gr XL.
Quill bolts with Beacon illuminated nocks.
Vixenmaster string.
Exocet 200.
Rage 2 blade broadheads.
Vixenmaster string.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Bob cat call jerry at south shore archery i bought 50. 84 . 92 and 110 grain brass the 50 grains are long alluminum my firebolts are .300 id im sure the quills are the same id he can help you. I was putting the 84 grains in my firebolts using them with a 125 head great flight. The stock quills have a 38 grain insert. I moved up to a zombie slayer with the 110 grain insert ..a much better arrow been getting them for like $44.oo from lancaster archery they come 20 inches i would be happy to wack them down for you to a micro size and glue the inserts in if your near lower bucks pm me.or im sure one of our arrow makers on the forum can also help. Im not dissing the quills but the zombies are stronger n group n fly way better for me by far glad i switched.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

You can buy 1/8 inch steel rod at Lowes and punch out your nock from front insert.then reverse rod and punch out the front insert AFTER you heat it as said above or in very hot water ...