First ever September deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

First ever September deer

Post by grouse »

Our Missouri archery deer season begins on Sept. 15 and I have done some hunting in Sept. each of the three previous years I have crossbow hunted. It has usually been too warm with too much vegetation and with crops in the way, for good hunting. I saw very few deer and looked forward to Oct. when things always get better.

I drove up to our farm on Monday afternoon and my truck's thermometer said 85 degrees, and it was sunny. I was glad to see that our 35 acre crop field had been plowed to knock down the mixture of corn and weeds (some 8' tall) that was there because it was too wet to spray roundup on it in the spring and early summer (how did farmers deal with weeds before roundup?). Among the knocked over weeds and corn stalks were lots, and lots of small to medium ears of corn. That was likely to keep the deer around for a while.

When I changed into my camo our indoor/outdoor thermometer said 87. I walked down to my favorite stand about 4:45 PM and the sun was shining right on it, broiling me for about an hour. I was beginning to wonder about the wisdom of my trip. At about 5:45, just as shadows were appearing in the field, a doe stepped out of the woods followed by 3 more. Before the evening was over, I had seen 17 deer that had come out to feed on the easy to get to corn. The only one that was close enough for a shot came out too late to see well and I passed.

I have another stand near where I saw lots of the deer and I headed there early the next morning. Three hours later I had seen nothing and I went back to the house. That evening (yesterday) I went back to that stand, again in 87 degree heat. At about 6:15 I heard something behind me and I looked to my left and 3 does were passing by close enough for a shot but I was afraid to move. They went out into the field and fed for a while then headed back toward me. When the biggest one was about 15 yds. away I put the crosshairs behind her shoulder and released a Zombie slayer with a 125 gr. slicktrick magnum attached. I saw that it was a good hit, but she trotted off fairly calmly.

I got down and found my arrow right away but I didn't like what I faced. She ran into a thicket with 3' tall grass and weeds in open areas, and thick saplings everywhere else. Happily I found blood right away and while the trail was hard to follow I nearly tripped over her about 50 yds. away ( I couldn't see her until I was right on top of her).

If you have never dragged a heavy deer out of dense cover in 80 degree heat, you don't know what fun is! I only had to drag her about 75 yds to get to where I could pick her up with the tractor, but that was the longest 75 yd. drag of my 66 years!

I'm glad to be hunting now, and I have been out of venison for months so I look forward to the steaks and sausage, but I really look forward to October and (hopefully) frosty mornings and real hunting weather.
axiom
350 SE
Reinyrooster

Re: First ever September deer

Post by Reinyrooster »

Great story...congratulations. Am hoping to do the same next week when our season opens.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

that's awesome man !!!!
glad you hada great time and seen lottsa whitetail.
you have a good start. :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
deerskinner

Post by deerskinner »

Congrats on your deer! I know what you mean about being hot! Its been a hot summer here in Texas,I don,t like hunting when its that hot! Season opens Oct.3 for us! Good luck on your future hunts! Ron! :D
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Congrats on a hard fought campaign. Here in B.C we are already getting good frosts.I am already wearing long johns in the morning.Good luck on your next one.
Hank
ohiobuck

Post by ohiobuck »

congrats
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....congrats!.....and the pics are where?

Anthony :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
grouse

Post by grouse »

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. It I just wanted to get the deer ready to take to the walk in cooler they leave behind the place I use for processing (so you can leave a deer after hours). It was brown with a white belly and it was bloody. Just look at the pictures that you (Anthony) posted earlier this month and you will see what it looked like. I still have (3) more landowner archery tags to fill, and I promise to post pictures if I use one on a buck.
axiom
350 SE
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Congrats..
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Outback

Post by Outback »

That be a lot of deer to choose from. Congrats on tipping one over and getting a good start to your season.

outback
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats on an early doe!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
wabi
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats!!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE