Newbie with a 330 , any advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bolt Chunker

Newbie with a 330 , any advice

Post by Bolt Chunker »

Hey Yall , just bought a Matrix 330 and it should be here later this week. I been shooting a Barnett Recruit the last couple years , just been wanting an Excalibur since I got into crossbows for the simplicity of it. So I'm not a complete newbie lol . Any tips on arrows , broadheads , maintenance or anything about the 330 yall would like to share ? Thanks, Jonny
vixenmaster

Re: Newbie with a 330 , any advice

Post by vixenmaster »

Well BEE's are decent fer arrows or better yet Spinal Tapps. Like 2" Blazers but thats jus me. BH's be yer personal choice i like both fixed n Mech. I prefer a Flemish string but thats jus me. Good very good glass fer yer scope, i am tired of low end scopes.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

Do you make your own arrows? If you do, the .003" Black Eagle Arrows will be more than fine for hunting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
richard

Post by richard »

Get a stringer. Even though its just a 330 it still stretches the string.
Matrix 330
Micro 315 (Skillet meat)
Muzzy mx3
Coffee
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard :)
1. Get a stringing aid and keep your brace height adjusted properly.
I put a small mark on the side of my rail with a sharpie for quick reference.

2. Install an ADF. (anti dri-fire)
This will help protect you and your limbs in case of an accidental dri-fire.

3. Upgrade to a good flemish string after installing an ADF.
Everyone has their favorites - all the string makers here are quality craftsmen.

4. Always buy two strings at a time and break them in together.
If you need to change a string while hunting you know it will shoot the same.

5. Never shoot at the same bullseye twice as it gets expensive.
These excaliburs are deadly accurate. (especially at hunting distances)
Executioners are excellent arrows for hunting.
For competition shooting or showing off at longer distances over 40 yards custom Spynal Tapps or Zombie Slayers are great.

Ron
Last edited by BrotherRon on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It's all covered pretty much already, so I'll just say welcome aboard, and congratulations on your new crossbow.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
richard

Post by richard »

Sorry for being rude. Welcome and your gonna luv that sweet little bow. BrotherRon pretty much covered everything.
Matrix 330
Micro 315 (Skillet meat)
Muzzy mx3
Coffee
Bolt Chunker

Post by Bolt Chunker »

Thanks for all the responses ! Boo , I don't make my own arrows yet , maybe someday. I am using 20'' BEE's for the Recruit . What length is ideal for the 330 ?
I saw a guy using a piece of rope as a stringing aid instead of spending $30 .
Yall have any thoughts on that ?
Boo

Post by Boo »

A total, including the broadhead, of 19" will bring you to the front of the stirrup. Subtract the length of broadhead you want to use to determine shaft length.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

Bolt Chunker wrote:Thanks for all the responses ! Boo , I don't make my own arrows yet , maybe someday. I am using 20'' BEE's for the Recruit . What length is ideal for the 330 ?
I saw a guy using a piece of rope as a stringing aid instead of spending $30 .
Yall have any thoughts on that ?

I use 18in spynal tapp with a 125 grain slick trick you can dot some eye with that set up.Not saying it is the best I just like that set up.
Yes spend 30. and get a string aid it will last for years
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
Twohats

Post by Twohats »

I have had mine a year and I absolutely love it. I am a recurve shooter and due to shoulder surgery I wanted to just temporally try one and I got hooked. I shoot the BE at 18 inches and Magnus Stingers 125's and they are darts.You will enjoy and ditto on the other posts they are spot on.

Danny
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:A total, including the broadhead, of 19" will bring you to the front of the stirrup. Subtract the length of broadhead you want to use to determine shaft length.
I did just what Boo said, and decided on 17" for the 355, and 330, they work perfectly!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Bolt Chunker

Post by Bolt Chunker »

I really appreciate all the advice ! You guy's are a wealth of information. I look forward to getting the 330 and participating in this forum . :D
CoastalBee

Post by CoastalBee »

Congrats on your 330! I've had mine since last winter and still enjoy shooting it on almost a daily basis. To add to all the great advice (and probably repeat stuff) on here I'd suggest start shooting the heck out of it exactly the way it comes and then follow your own intuitions as to what will help improve the experience from there. As someone who loves tinkering with all the variables myself it's inevitable to hit some dead ends, but asking on forums like this is like gold.

After shooting initially from a bench rest to dial in my scope I found my groupings were inconsistent when I shot lying down, on 1 knee, and standing. So I went on a mission to tweak the ergonomics of holding the x-bow and having my line of sight as aligned through the scope rings and straight down the rail. Slightly taller scope ring bases pushed to the rear of the mount and the optional excalibur cheek piece got me into a position that gives me confidence over the broadest conditions.

Aside from that, the Reds make maintaining your brace height a no brainer and with lots of shots came investments in a fletching jig (AZ Bolt), replacemt fletchings (Blazers), a serving tool (bearpaw), spool of serving (.36 RCT), a rotation of stock matrix strings (excalibur) and a home made jig from the hardware store.

Have fun, you've bought a great bow.
Matrix 330
Twilight DLX
18" Diablo's w/ Blazers
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In my opinion the 330 is the workhorse of all the excal matrix bows. It is still fast enough to reliably expand an expandable. Its semi quiet. Easy to cock .easy on servings. And it will usually shake off a dryfire without carnage even though no one would do that. My matrix 330 with a 16.5 2219 n a spitfire has never failed to blow through every deer ive shot. Other than being a little chunky i seem to like it more than my micro mainly because of the confidence i have in it. A nikon bolt or a crossbones will make it even more enjoyable for you later on
. Even at that the factory scope is not that bad . Shoot the sh.... outa it n enjoy your wise safe purchess send us a pic of you holding a big furry something. ..lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.