Bolt weight effect on speed?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mario

Bolt weight effect on speed?

Post by Mario »

Hello I have a question and hoping could get help here. I have an exomax, now I've researched that the 350 fps is with a 350gr bolt. Since added Flemish string shots seem high the further out I shoot so I'm assuming I'm up to 365fps.

My question is I want to go heavier does anyone know what the speed loss is per gr the reason I want to know this is i'm looking to go heavier to get better kinetic energy and down range accuracy but land on a lower setting on my scope. ( happy medium)
I have an older model scope and the next two settings down are 325 and 300 would like to land close to one of those speeds and if someone here can get me an idea would save a bunch of time not to mention $ on trial and error. Thanks in advance I look forward to any replies.
wabi

Re: Bolt weight effect on speed?

Post by wabi »

The advertised speed of 350 fps is with a fastflight string. With the string supplied with the bow from the factory the actual speed was a bit less.

I believe the older models loose 1 fps for every 5 grains of added arrow weight.

For my Phoenix I like arrows around 375 grains for a good compromise, but I'm shooting 400 gr arrows now because the shaft size required for the 375 gr combo (2215) is harder to find at bargain prices.

with the Exomax I'd think 400 gr would be a good starting point.
wabi
Mario

Post by Mario »

Thanks! That 5-1 is really what I've been looking for. I know the bow might not do the advertised 350 stock but with the Flemish string that's advertised to give you extra 15fps my 20 yard 0 is now high with 30 and especially 40 and 50 yard points.so it's safe to say I hav some wiggle room to get heavier but stay above 300 fps. I'm switching to slick trick 150gr broad head from 100gr expandable that on my 266gr bolt has me at 416gr. I'm curious if I got brass inserts say 100gr would that be to front heavy or would it work well?
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My typical setup for my Vortex was a 20" zombie slayer shaft with a 110 gr brass insert and a 125gr head, and 2" feathers. Puts me around.......

20" x 9.1gr/in = 182gr
110 gr insert
125gr BH
8gr plastic nock
1.2gr/feather x 3 = 3.6gr

total wt. = 428 give or take. Or just over 400 with a 100gr BH.

Either setup flies great, has a nice 20ish% FOC, and is deadly accurate to 40yds with fixed blade BHs. And both are well above 300fps for the Vortex. You would be 20fps faster with the Exomax.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shoot 2219s with a 53 grain extra insert 20 grain regular insert plus a 125 head gerat combo hits like a ton a bricks but after 30 yards your gonna see it droppin fast. I really dont care because i dont shoot much further than that its a tradeoff . Im sure with a 380 or 405 its not gonna be as drastic i have a micro and a m 330
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Thanks guys for the great advice I'm not to worried bout the drop after 30 it drops a lot either way even now and I use range finder. I just want more weight so it's more wind resistant on longer shots and better pass through. My current setup is ok but last deer I got was quartered and although it got 1 lung and liver and did punch through other side arrow stayed in the deer it was a 10 yard shot. Been reading up and seems to many peeps infatuated with speed sacrificing some power an accuracy. You guys have been very helpful I'm pretty sure I could find my happy medium now thanks again!

Current setup is 266gr fire bolt arrows with 100 gr hyper shock expandable bh

Think I wanna go slick trick 150gr bh with either same arrows or add inserts and or buy heavier arrows, been out of game for few years so gotta think on it but again thanks for starting me off cheers!