Sniffed out... Deer 1, Joe 0

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Coon Gravy

Sniffed out... Deer 1, Joe 0

Post by Coon Gravy »

I decided when I bought the crossbow to try to hunt from the ground. We have a long gun season and I don't worry much about putting meat in the freezer by the end of season (if it comes to that). Boy did I get an education this weekend. Do any of you ground hunt... no tree stand, no blind, just camo and whatever cover you can muster? I tried to go to the extreme with scent control, cover scents, working the wind, but I didn't try hard enough apparently. I wanted to share a couple of major mistakes (or at least they seemed to be looking back) that I made and get some thoughts on other people's experiences.

1. I was thinking like a gun hunter and set up on my food source rather than the approach lanes to my food source. The deer were cautious and came in from behind me which effectively winded me and I was toast. Probably need to do more scouting and be more diligent in planning for wind to set up in a better location.

2. I used some cover scent (doe urine and vanilla) around my location. I sprayed it a few times in the off season around the feeder area so it wouldn't be a totally new smell but I'm afraid I either overdid it or should just cut it out all together. Seems like I might have put the deer on alert with it more than if I just let them roam in to the food source.

Any thoughts?
Now we're hunting right....
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
Waif

Re: Sniffed out... Deer 1, Joe 0

Post by Waif »

I've switched to the ground for several years now.
Scent control is considered but using a wheel chair, it's scent will get me busted quick if not considered a prime source of out of place odor..
Bait is a trap to experienced deer and approached as such.
Blending with the surroundings in an area deer are on the in between bed and feed works better for me.
Less suspicion/high alert status on the deers part.
Earth scent is my preferred cover scent on my hunting cloths but not a diligent deal.
Not being committed to a particular tree or blind or shack allows flexibility in hunting the wind.
Surprising an old doe is more likely on a travel route than trying to hide at a trap and surprise her..once she bust's you the site will not be as effective with her expecting you there forevermore.
Surprise her and you can surprise any deer so hunt that invisible doe, real or imaginary, the way she would hunt you!
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Its possible the vanilla is foreign to them . Ive never had it happen . Maby just go with the doe p. More than likely they smelled "you". If you possibly have any pines nearby pete rickards makes a ceder scent that works great. At covering body odor. Its definately harder to outsmart a wise old baldie on the ground. Also one of them leafy 3 d jackets n a matching lid will work wonders with their eyes. You can make a simple blind with just Two arrows or sticks n a little burlap . Even something that small helps.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] this is wat im talkin about . Its not gonna help wit the smell . But ive had deer literally walk into me turkey hunting.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

That Pete Rickard's cover scent sounds just what I'm looking for to use on/with my Ghillie Suit.

I'm wondering since I have both pines and oaks where I hunt if i should get the real pine and acorn scents and use a little bit of both?
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus