Magnus Broadhead Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Magnus Broadhead Questions

Post by TheBig1 »

Well first off thank you to everyone who has talked about these as it introduced me to them. I'm going to switch to them next year as there's only one more week in our archery season and I'm just going to go with what I have and concentrate on nothing but hunting.

People have talked about the Black Hornet and that was the one I was definitely going with. In talking to a guy who lives two doors down last night he said that he shot the 85 grain Stinger and loves them. He showed one to me and they are also quite small. Not as big as what they look like in the pictures. I was really impressed.

I'm thinking of dropping to the 85 grain because it brings my FOC down to 16.58% which is closer to the recommended range of 7%-15%.

Does anyone on here shoot the Stinger? How do they fly compared to field points? How do you like them? How are the blood trails?

I'm most likely going to order them anyways but I just want to hear some opinions. Too bad they don't make the Black Hornet in 85 grain.

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Michiganhunter

Re: Magnus Broadhead Questions

Post by Michiganhunter »

I have shot the Stinger in 100 gr. in my Exomax and 380 Matrix. Love the design and look of the head however for some reason I could not get then to hit even close to my field points. Tried changing the blade orientation etc. still could not get the consistency that I desired. Went back to my tried and true 100 gr Spitfires and Wasp Jak- Hammer mechanicals which both give me much greater accuracy and cutting diameter. With the power these crossbows are generating why not use the bigger cutting diameter's to your advantage. I'll take a 1 1/2 -1 3/4 inch hole any day over a 1 inch and a crossbow will give you complete pass throughs while doing it..Just my thoughts.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
bubba

Post by bubba »

My son and i both shot the Magnus Black Hornet broadheads this year. My boy shot the 100 grain, and i shot the 125 grain why? Because they just look so bad ass, i personally have decided to switch from the Slick Tricks to this broadhead because for me they just grouped better out to fifty yards, not by much but enough for me to give them the nod. Plus they zip thru deer and hogs like a hot butter knife. The 125 grain sports a little, 1/8th inch more cut than the 100 grain. I really like this head! This past hunting trip has been a eye opener for me, in the broadhead department. I also have come to the conclusion of switching my 125 grain Swhackers. After losing two animals to lack of blood trails, one hog and one deer. That i know were hit well, but lost there trail. Talk about a sick feeling.. We found the deer four day's later when we were checking our game cameras and topping off our feeders, the doe had only traveled maybe forty yards past were we lost the blood trail. But might as well been a mile thru all that super thick brier infested undergrowth. It was a good hit.. Both lungs and a pass thru. But that's another story. Anyhow... The Magnus Black Hornets preformed well, and will tip some of my arrows in my next hunts for sure.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks fellas for the info.

Michigan, I understand that you shot the Stinger and it didn't group well for you but did you by any chance try the Black Hornet?

Bubba, how did the Black Hornets group for you as compared to your field points? And did you by any chance shoot the Stinger at all?

My neighbor has the 85 grain Stingers so I might ask if I can borrow one to try before buying the Stinger over the Black Hornet. But I'd also love to get my hands on one Black Hornet to shoot and compare also.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

I shot the Magnus 125gr 4 bladed Buzzcut out of my Axiom and they flew great and hit very consistently not with my fieldpoints though. I still used them until my son snagged them all from me one day.. They are great heads and perform very well... BTW I was shooting them with 2219's and Blazers with a very extreme helical..
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.
NFH

Post by NFH »

I'm shooting the 100gr Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razer out of my Micro. They shoot great and are within 2" of my field points out to 50 yards. I love how durable they have been through a lot of target shooting and so far 1 deer. Just minor touch up needed to bring them back to razor sharp. The sharpened back edge of the blades make it a breeze to remove them from targets and would also come in handy in the rare non-pass through shot on a deer.
Big cut expendables have done the job well for me in the past but I've become sick of buying one time use broadheads at $10+ each. I also like to practice a lot with the exact head I will be shooting at a animal, something mechanicals don't do well. Last but not least Magnus has a replacement warranty on their BHs so if you are able to break them, they will be replaced for the cost of shipping. I'm hopeing these will continue to impress me and be the last BH I need to buy.
As for the 85gr switch to lower FOC, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you'll see any real difference from the 100gr heads.
Micro 335 Nightmare
Vortex XBR
Trigger Tech 2 stage
Flemish strings
Doc Miller RBBBs
SSA Spynal Tapps
SlickTricks
Magnus Black Hornet Ser-Razor
bubba

Post by bubba »

Chad, No i've never tested the stinger. The Black Hornets shot close to my field points. But i really don't care much weather they do or not. When i prepare to go hunting my arrows are tuned to the broadhead. How they group out to 60 yards is all i'm really concerned about. And they grouped very well. Better than my Slick Tricks in fact. Oh!! And they are bad to the bone.. Zipping thru deer and hog's like a hot butter knife through butter....BAM! i like em...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Now I'm torn, 100 grain Black Hornets or 85 grain Stingers which will bring my FOC down another full 1%.

Well at least the guy who lives down the street shoots Stingers so I can ask him to shoot them to see how they fly.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Chad sorry I have never tested the Black Hornets. I really hoped the Stingers would perform for me and my setup but for some reason I kept getting flyers. The others here make some good observations regarding the Stingers and I agree that reuse of these heads was one of my primary positives for them as well. Just sharpen them and keep on hunting. The great warranty on them is a plus as well. If I had more time to experiment I'm sure I would still try to get the flight figured out and give them a try on deer.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks a lot fellas for the great information. Even prior to this my mind was made up about them but I just wasn't sure on which one to choose. As was said, I don't think that I'm going to mess with my FOC if that's the case. I'll probably just stay with the 100gr broadhead.

Everyone brought up some great points about the Magnus brand and I definitely think that I'll be picking up a few packs. Maybe I'll wait until the outdoor show in Harrisburg in January or February to see if I can find them at a great deal.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i shot a big doe oct 12 with a black hornet it made a very nice hole they fly very good
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

TheBig1 wrote:Now I'm torn, 100 grain Black Hornets or 85 grain Stingers which will bring my FOC down another full 1%.

Well at least the guy who lives down the street shoots Stingers so I can ask him to shoot them to see how they fly.

Chad
I'm not sure I'm following your thoughts correctly. Are you trying to reduce your foc? I can tell you that with crossbows you should be looking at increased your foc, not decreasing it. Unlike compounds, with a crossbow you want to be around 15% foc or higher. This, combined with some blazers fletched with extreme helical is what will give you maximum accuracy with fixed blade broadheads. I could see you using 85 grain heads if you have 110gr brass inserts but even then I'd still use 100gr heads. Although I haven't shot the magnus heads I've been told by some highly accomplished shooters that they were some of the most accurate and best penetrating heads they've shot.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Paul, I'll be honest, I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to FOC. I recently learned what in the heck it even is and simply thought that the recommended 7%-15% was something to strive for.

I do have a 110 grain insert but will stay with 100 grain broadheads.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

TheBig1 wrote:Paul, I'll be honest, I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to FOC. I recently learned what in the heck it even is and simply thought that the recommended 7%-15% was something to strive for.

I do have a 110 grain insert but will stay with 100 grain broadheads.

Chad
I think you'll be happy with the 110 grain brass inserts and 100gr points combination. In case you don't know the equation to figure out your foc I'll just leave it for you. There are a couple schools of thought as to where to measure from. I follow the total arrow length school.
Measure your arrow from the outside of the nock to the outside of the point/broadhead. Use something like another arrow to find the exact balance point of your arrow. Now subtract the center point from your balance point and divide this from your arrows total length and multiply that number by 100.
It looks like this:
Balance Point(B.P.) - Center Point(C.P.) ÷ Overall Arrow Length(O.A.L.) × 100 = Your F.O.C.%.......B.P. - C.P. ÷ O.A.L. = F.O.C.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Brother, I appreciate that. I'd just been using Gold Tip's calculator to do it.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member