Bison Hunt 2015

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Bison Hunt 2015

Post by nchunterkw »

I had another awesome time with Sandhills Outfitters in Nebraska chasing their buffalo around. What was really cool this year was that I used my Micro and it performed wonderfully. I could not have been more pleased with my setup.

The arrow was a 15 1/4" Gold Tip Nitro Pro, tipped with a 125gr RamCat. On the back end was a NuFletch Igniter and 3 Blazers. Total wt. was 504gr. I did not get to chrono them before I left, but I would guess I was in the 295fps range.

After 3 stalks on the herd, a cow buffalo ( I was hunting for meat not a trophy) cleared the herd and was 30 yds out. There was a 20ish MPH wind from my right and I was offhand. I aimed about 2" right and let 'er fly. The shot looked like a perfect heart shot (which is what the outfitter wants us to do) and the buffalo took of away from us curving to the right to get back to the herd. At that point the herd bull was locked on to us at 30yds so we backed down the hill slowly not making any sudden movements. I couldn't see my buffalo too well as we were backing down the hill, but I thought I saw it fall and thought "that was quick" Maybe 30 seconds? We worked up around the herd trying to get my brother a shot at a yearling. As we worked back toward the herd they moved over the hill a bit and we could see mine was down. And it looked like there was blood on the prairie grass. Really? That doesn't happen. Usually the hide just absorbs everything. As we continue to work close, we walk near where my buffalo was standing when I shot. There WAS blood all over the ground. There was a 1 foot by 1" spray of blood right where it was when I shot. Crazy. The guide said he had never seen that much blood from an archery kill in 13yrs of hunting these majestic animals. Then I found my arrow. Complete pass through. Only 1 blade of the RamCat was slightly bent and I lost 1 vane. The autopsy at the processor showed it hit the offside leg bone. SO needless to say I (and everyone else) was super impressed with the RamCat and the Micro. Here are some pics of the buffalo, arrow, and the BH after I cleaned it up. Heck, one new blad and 1 Blazer and that arrow is ready to go again! Unreal.

The cow probably weighed about 800lbs. Hanging wt. of the meat was 407lbs.

Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Reinyrooster

Re: Bison Hunt 2015

Post by Reinyrooster »

Wow! That sounds like a real adventure. bet it got the old ticker going! Great story - thanks for the pics.
So when are we all supposed to show up for the buffalo barbeque? LOL!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of good eating there!!!!!!!!
wabi
huntinwi

Post by huntinwi »

Congrats on a great hunt :D
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Impressive Tatanka...

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us and great pics..
Last edited by Carnivorous on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Congrats Keith! What a great story. I'll bet that it's so much fun doing things like that. Wow, that's great!

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
rayman

Post by rayman »

So, did your brother get his yearling?

That bison meat is great stuff. :)
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Congrats to you Keith! That's great. Ramcat definitely did it's job. Thanks for sharing.
Randy
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Very nice! I'm curious about those ramcats, I've only heard such positive feedback about them. Maybe I'll check them out.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

rayman wrote:So, did your brother get his yearling?

That bison meat is great stuff. :)
Haha! Yeah, sorry, he ended up shooting his yearling shortly after I shot mine. We stalked up the next hill and he cleared the herd at 73yds. Shot was offhand directly facing the wind with a 350gr Hornady FBP bullet and 100grs of "White Hot" from his TC muzzleloader. It dropped then got up and got "tackled" by the herd bull. Weird. He chased it down and jumped on it. It ended up with it's one horn jammed into the sand. His weighed 310lbs hanging (no guts, head, hide)
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

paulaboutform wrote:Very nice! I'm curious about those ramcats, I've only heard such positive feedback about them. Maybe I'll check them out.

Paul
I've shot 3 buffalo now with my crossbows. The first was with a Montec CS. Got pass throughs and 1 even went through a rib unscathed. The second was with a Magnus. Hit the offside leg and bent some. And then this one. Again, the blood trail was ridiculous for a buffalo. The other 2 left no blood on the ground whatsoever.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats on an awesome hunt, must have been very exciting! That cow is huge...a real freezer filler for sure. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the beast!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
bdog

Post by bdog »

Good shootin, not a trophy ? that's a trophy in my book, congrats....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Keith, Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing and the RamCat really seems to exploded the hide going in and out same thing on my bull elk blood everywhere ! Have a very Merry Christmas! and a wonderful new year :D

Don
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !