Who Hunts in southern Ontario??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr. RoC

Re: Who Hunts in southern Ontario??

Post by Mr. RoC »

Fazan wrote:[/guote]

Bought a cabin on 215 acres of private land last year in WMU 62. Trail cam showed at least three mature bucks on my land. I let one spike walk in hopes for one of the big ones to show them selves. No choice but let two does pass. If I had a antlerless tag or just wanted to fill the freezer I would have tagged out the last week of Oct.
I was looking for land with or without cabin in WMU 61. Prices were all over the map.
Can you tell me what was your land per acre?[/quote]

Paid 155,000 for a 3 season 600 sq ft totally off grid cabin. Solar, septic, drilled well & gravity fed holding tank. 300 sq ft garage for the toys. Two nice size tool sheds. Three permanent tree stands. Nice size pond and a lot of small watering hole through out our property. Paid a few extra dollars after the deal was closed for a completely turn key cabin including all the tools and riding toys. He walked away empty handed and we moved in without having bring anything of ours up there.

The owner was an older retired gentleman who suffered a stroke and the family no longer wanted him up there by himself and the wife did not care for the cabin as it was his hunt camp. The kids didn't want it either. He kept the place clean. We really luck out on this find.

MLS shows a 75 arce lot with a small 12x12 cabin for 90,000 ten minutes from us.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335 - 397 gr @ 326 fps... 94 ft/lb
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

That WAS a good deal.
That MLS listing you mentioned is probably cheaper than half of the things I was looking at.
Mr. RoC

Post by Mr. RoC »

Fazan wrote:That WAS a good deal.
That MLS listing you mentioned is probably cheaper than half of the things I was looking at.
The original listing price was listed at $99,999 but was listed after late Nov... I'm sure it'll sell in 2016 sometime.

The neighbouring land is farm with cattle.... Everytime I drive by tons of turkeys in the farmer's fields.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335 - 397 gr @ 326 fps... 94 ft/lb
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Gave up on Ontario about 5 years ago. Now hunt in Michigan. Great guys, great area and have seen more deer in 5 years hunting there than 20 years in N.Ont. And I can shoot does or bucks without any lottery b.s
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Farm3rbrian tell me more about hunting in the US..Is it expensive? Is there any special paperwork or bring anbow or forearm across the border? I'm very interested
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

farm3rbrian wrote:Gave up on Ontario about 5 years ago. Now hunt in Michigan. Great guys, great area and have seen more deer in 5 years hunting there than 20 years in N.Ont. And I can shoot does or bucks without any lottery b.s
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Costs me $171.00 for my tag. Get a firearms permit from ATF that is good for one year. Nothing required for crossbow. I hunt in a DMU where i can take bucks or does, and i can buy over-the-counter doe tags for $12.00.(up to 5 does). About 3.5 hours from my house
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

farm3rbrian wrote:Gave up on Ontario about 5 years ago. Now hunt in Michigan. Great guys, great area and have seen more deer in 5 years hunting there than 20 years in N.Ont. And I can shoot does or bucks without any lottery b.s

Another Ontario resident here that bow hunts in Michigan.

With only one tag in Ontario my deer season could be over really quick wher I hunt in 92B. It's nice to have the option for multiple deer in Michigan...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

And all I need is the ATF paperwork and buy a non reaident tag for whatever state I plan to hunt? My outdoors card and p.a.l are valid and accepted there? :o
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Yes. You need ATF form 6N1A(5330 3D). This permit requires you to send a photocopy of a valid license from a U.S. state, but not necessarily from the state where you are going to hunt. A lot of my friends do competitive shooting in MI and buy a Nebraska small game non-resident tag on-line for $5.00 or so. All perfectly legal. Then you buy your non-res deer tag for whatever state you choose to hunt in. After your first go at it, it will be simple. I would recommend that you fax your ATF forms in with a return fax number or supply them with your e-mail address. I usually have my permit with-in two weeks, though it may take longer
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Also, they don,t care about your outdoors card, but really don't need your PAL either as our law has changed. I give them mine anyway. Nothing to hide
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

farm3rbrian wrote:Costs me $171.00 for my tag.
Ya that was nice when the dollar was even but gonna cost around $245 now . I hunt in Michigan, Texas, Kansas and Kentucky and this exchange crap sucks again !!