Micro 355 vs bulldog 400

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JCNoble

Re: Micro 355 vs bulldog 400

Post by JCNoble »

I had the opportunity to try both. There both great bows but I did dislike the distance of the safety and the trigger on the 400. The draw weights are the same but I found it easier on the 355 micro since the riser is shorter
snugs

Post by snugs »

What do you mean distance of the safety and trigger?
What is the riser?
Also what is power stroke?
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

snugs wrote:What do you mean distance of the safety and trigger?
What is the riser?
Also what is power stroke?
Not sure if your joking or serious but here is the answer. On the 400's they came out with the bullpup setup where the trigger is moved forward which makes in farther away from the safety. The riser is the is the piece of metal that is attached to the front of the rail and the limbs attaches to. The power stroke is the distance from when the string is at rest to when it is cocked. Hope this helps.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

You have to pull 280 pounds on both bows to cock them. Pound for pound if I were to get a new Excalibur crossbow it would be the Bulldog. If you want 355 speeds get the Matrix 355, it is 40 pounds less. With the micro 355 you can pull 280 pounds all day long and your not going to get the speed and power of the Bulldog. Just my 2 cents.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:You have to pull 280 pounds on both bows to cock them. Pound for pound if I were to get a new Excalibur crossbow it would be the Bulldog. If you want 355 speeds get the Matrix 355, it is 40 pounds less. With the micro 355 you can pull 280 pounds all day long and your not going to get the speed and power of the Bulldog. Just my 2 cents.
I agree that both have a draw weight of 280 lbs. However any student of physics knows that weight is only one part of the formula. Simply speaking work equals force x distance. In other words if one lifts one pound of weight the distance of one foot that it will equal 1 ft-lb of work, whereas lifting the same one pound the distance of two feet will equal 2 ft-lbs of work. Therefore when comparing the Bulldog 400's 14" power stroke to the Micro 355's 10" and crunching the numbers, one arrives to the following results:

Bulldog: 326.66 ft-lbs or 105.79 calories of work
Micro 355: 233.33 ft-lbs or 75.56 calories of work

As can be seen, not all 280 lbs are equal. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Boo

Post by Boo »

ComfyBear wrote:
NEPAbowhunter wrote:You have to pull 280 pounds on both bows to cock them. Pound for pound if I were to get a new Excalibur crossbow it would be the Bulldog. If you want 355 speeds get the Matrix 355, it is 40 pounds less. With the micro 355 you can pull 280 pounds all day long and your not going to get the speed and power of the Bulldog. Just my 2 cents.
I agree that both have a draw weight of 280 lbs. However any student of physics knows that weight is only one part of the formula. Simply speaking work equals force x distance. In other words if one lifts one pound of weight the distance of one foot that it will equal 1 ft-lb of work, whereas lifting the same one pound the distance of two feet will equal 2 ft-lbs of work. Therefore when comparing the Bulldog 400's 14" power stroke to the Micro 355's 10" and crunching the numbers, one arrives to the following results:

Bulldog: 326.66 ft-lbs or 105.79 calories of work
Micro 355: 233.33 ft-lbs or 75.56 calories of work

As can be seen, not all 280 lbs are equal. :wink:
Lou, you'll see the difference when you come to my place on the 28th. While you might lose some weight (good excuse for buying one) the Bulldog is easier to cock and the Micro is really not much more than standing up for some of the taller guys. I need a Bulldog to lose weight? :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

OK Don I haven't been totally truthful. My figures are actually not telling the whole story. Albeit although the formula is true, there are other variables which would have to be taken into account. The differential in the length of limbs and how they "stack" vis-a-vis each other are but a couple. You and I both know, from past experience, that a 200lb Exomag is easier to cock than a 200lb Exocet, or that a 200lb Exomag would require less "work" to string than even a 150lb Vixen II.

In regards to your statement of the Bulldog being easier to cock, I suppose that is relative and referring to the 405 Mega which, although has a shorter power stroke (13.87" vs 14"), has a draw weight of 290lbs.

Personally as I am getting older and shorter :shock: :oops: I'll probably down-grade further from my 380 to a 355. Gone are the days that I didn't have a problem cocking my 405 or your 410 for that matter. :wink:

BTW I'm not coming to your place on the 28th....since I thought it was full and the 12th was only available.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
JCNoble

Post by JCNoble »

Another thing that bothers me about the bulldog is replacing a string. It's doable but seems like you won't be able to do it in one step with the ADF and the trigger being so far apart.

Post by newbie »

JCNoble wrote:Another thing that bothers me about the bulldog is replacing a string. It's doable but seems like you won't be able to do it in one step with the ADF and the trigger being so far apart.
Its a stretch but its a non issue once you so it a few times. Same as letting the bow down with a rope cocker
Here is a confirmation that the Tt fits for all the sceptics, David from Wyvern confirmed.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
JCNoble

Post by JCNoble »

Aww I won't be able to use my fancy red trigger with that setup lol. Thanks for the confirmation Newbie!
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

weight figures aside theres is a big enough difference in size fit and feel of a Micro 355 and a Matrix 355. as an all day hunting tool and tree stand hunting rather have a Micro but the Matrix 355 is no slouch.i thought the Bulldog had a nice balanced feel if your lookin for speed but im a Micro fan.
snugs

Post by snugs »

Thanks! I wasn't joking and I have owned 2 excels and my bro owns one that I have used.
I thought I new what yall were talking about but just wanted to make sure.

So what is the deal with these TT triggers?
snugs

Post by snugs »

What are the thoughts on these now that people have had them for awhile? Still thinking about getting one of the two or should I stay with my grizzly with is also excellent .
snugs

Post by snugs »

I already have a matrix grizzly the scope it came with and a nib zeiss xb scope and a Nikon xb scope in mint condition . I really like the grizzly a lot but am trying to decide if I want more speed. I popped a buck at 42 yards with it last year with the Excalibur bolt cutter bat broadheads barely left any blood trail even though the shot was perfect. Luckily he didn't go far but it took me awhile to find any blood. I have some monsters on game cam and I'm not sure I want to jack with that happening again. Trying to figure what I'm going to do with these scopes. I'm planning on using the zeiss this year and am thinking I may want more speed to go with that scope but haven't decided.
Would just changing out broadheads fix my blood trail issue?
I used to have an Equinox but definitely prefer the smaller/lighter bow since I hunt in trees mostly.
I doubt draw weight is going to be a huge concern for me. I didn't really have any issue drawing the Equinox. If I remember correctly it got kind of heavy at the very top of the draw but that was just because it was an awkward position, so I think I would like a draw that doesn't come up so high as that makes it easier. I usually don't shoot them over and over and over again anyways. I usually get them sighted in until I'm confident. Then just hunt and check zero.
snugs

Post by snugs »

As I have not kept up with the forums how is the durability between the bulldog and micros.