Brace height / POI

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turkey slayer

Brace height / POI

Post by Turkey slayer »

I have gotten some new strings for my axiom an cub an in the process of breaking them in to have for back ups. They are stock strings , my question is how important is brace height if it changes slightly an 30 yards , been my max distance , will I notice a huge POI with in that range ?
Normous

Re: Brace height / POI

Post by Normous »

Once your new back up string settles I suggest using a paper clip to join the two loop ends for storage, this way you will be able to install your back up string exactly the same length as when you removed it.
A slight brace height change is unlikely to cause a noticeable POI change at 30 yards.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Very little if any change in POI out to 40 yds with slight changes in BH . I tested this once at 40 yds , started with 7/8" and sighted in dead on, then took the BH down 2 twist at a time checking for changes in impact . When I reached 5/8" I had only experience around 1" Change in POI . Actually surprised myself !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Turkey slayer

Post by Turkey slayer »

Thanks for the info guys , eventually I'd like to order some strings off some forum members at some point , how would I go about doing that ?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Either PM or email them to discuss your string requirements. You will need to supply info as to color, material, bundle size, serving length and material preference.
Every custom string maker will help you with these choices.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There is a difference. As the string elongates the power stroke changes, and that has an effect on speed, which in turn has an effect on POI.
On a deer, won't make much of a difference, but we also hunt rabbit, squirrel, turkey.. So that small difference suddenly becomes big, big enough to completely miss. I like these bows because they are accurate, so anything that can change the POI, even a little, is worth focusing on.
It is not hard to stay on top of a creeping string, and if it is a good string, it will come to a stop. I monitor my brace height with a caliper, and for that reason I have no problem running an arrow through the pumpkin of a rabbit at 40 yards, but because I use a good string, it has not moved so much as a fraction of an inch in a couple years.
If you want a bow that shoots OK, then skip the brace height thing, but if you want a bow that shoots perfect, the way these bows are designed and priced to do, keep an eye on it. Hunt safe!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

How long can one expect a string to last? If properly waxed and no human damage, how many shots will they go?
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Predator55 wrote:How long can one expect a string to last? If properly waxed and no human damage, how many shots will they go?
The string itself will outlast the serving, many, many, many times over. Then there are string and serving materials that will outlast others. Then there is the bow that the string is being used on. Higher draw weight bows will be harder on servings. I get as few as 400 shots on my Micro with a string served with majesty before I have to reserve. I have gotten 700 shots out of a Matrix 330 before reserving. I don't like a lot of frizzle on my servings :) Making sure your aluminum knock inserts do not have any sharp edges on them will save your serving as well as polishing your trigger claws if you suspect they are causing serving damage.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?