Final Prep: Sighting In

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Final Prep: Sighting In

Post by TheBig1 »

Well everyone, I asked a little bit ago how everyone sighted in their bow along the lines of field points and broadheads. Here are my results. Please feel free to give any advice.

I started with 4 arrows with field points. Once I dialed them in, I shot all 4 and they ended up hitting the exact same spot on each of their respective targets.

Now here's where things got strange, at least to me. I took one Ramcat and started with the first arrow that I picked up. I shot it and it didn't hit far off of my field points, within 1/2". I picked up a second arrow and using the same broadhead on an arrow that shot exactly the same as all of the rest when shooting field points, shot about 2" of of the mark. To make a long story short, out of 4 arrows I got two good ones and the other 2 were off.

So my question is, what gives? All 4 shot exactly the same with field points. Put on broadheads and I catch 2 fliers.

I look forward to hearing your analysis.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
8ptbuk

Re: Final Prep: Sighting In

Post by 8ptbuk »

Chad , Tell us about your Arrows and fletching . Mike
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Waif

Post by Waif »

Deviation in a shaft's straightness or fletch job will become noticeably greater with a broadhead.

My 2 cent opinion anyway.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Ok, I'm shooting. 001 Spynal Tapp's that Jerry put together for me. 18" shaft, 110gr brass inserts, 2" Blazers w/offset, Ignitors for nocks, and 100gr field points and broadheads.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Arrows sound great ! I would check to see if my broadheads had any wobble in them when spun , Then if I still had problems I would probably try rotating to a different cock vane and trying it .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

I did a spin test and they were perfect. The one thing that I did notice is that after the first shot, and I pulled the arrow with the broadhead on out of the target, the blades of the Ramcat were loose and floppy due to the screws coming loose. I tried to tighten them as much as I could but they are really small Allen screws.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Chad i had the exact thing happen to me with the ramcats some flew great some flew 2 inches off with no explanition . I got zombies w/110 inserts n 125 ramcats. 2 inches seems small with a deer but with a turkey its mile. Now im back to the spitfire again ,that fly great. i tried them thats all i can say.with work kids etc . I dont have time for sighting in bs. plus the bass are going nuts here . Good luck on saturday probably a sleepless nite for me.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] If i have have the luck at turkey as bass this year im good its been really good a 7.4 pounder other states would laugh but for pa its good ...caught it in the kayak i love being pulled around
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

WOW JOE!!!! Congrats on the pig!!!

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:Image[/URL] If i have have the luck at turkey as bass this year im good its been really good a 7.4 pounder other states would laugh but for pa its good ...caught it in the kayak i love being pulled around

Very nice for pa indeed..My biggest is 7lbs 6 ounce in Bass club tournament ..Biggest in club was 8.1 BUT sadly people fished them out.....
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I would take your Ramcats and put them all on same arrow that is hitting spot you like..use SAME arrow....This could tell you a lot..Then take the points from the arrows that were hitting your spot and put them on arrows that were not...This should tell you if it is arrows or points ...Long ago we used cedar arrows that werenot straight..I could hit the bulls eye shot after shot at 20/25 yards on my recurve fred bear..So today arrows are so straight ...

You have real straight arrows so I would guess its Not arrow and you said they are not wobbling ...I would try the point that is shooting well on those 2 arrows on ALL arrows and see what is happening..Look at how it lines up with VANES ofthe other arrows.....

Boy I am confusing myself..lol..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

8ptbuk wrote:Arrows sound great ! I would check to see if my broadheads had any wobble in them when spun , Then if I still had problems I would probably try rotating to a different cock vane and trying it .

This is how for years it was done with alum arrows...You would heat point insert turn a little until all wobble was gone on point and then play with cock vane keeping same hunting point on same arrow....
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

This is my better half showing off a largemouth she caught on a top water Pop-R.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

If you make your own bolts get an arrow squaring tool and use it on both ends of the blank shaft get a silver marker if carbon shafts of a black marker for aluminum and color the ends of bolts and then square up shaft untill all color is gone .
Now put in your incert,nock and repeat procedure with the incert, nock
this has taken care of all my flyers .
If you have a fully built shaft and can not take it apart you can just do the incert and nock but I do all four if starting from a bare shaft for best results.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I would try a different brand of broad head such as a Slick Trick to see if you get the same result.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ