mono-pod or bi-pod?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kawaboy-zx11

mono-pod or bi-pod?

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

i am considering buying some sort of shooting sticks, i have never used them before, i have permission to hunt at my friends house and there are no trees large enough to hang a stand on, so i will be hunting from my ground blind. it will be used for both my matrix 355 and my new savage axis .308, anyone found something that works well? please let me know. Thanks, Dennis
Buszone

Re: mono-pod or bi-pod?

Post by Buszone »

I prefer a mono pod for walking hilly terrain . I normally hunt out of a tree for WT so I use nothing. I would recommend whatever you choose be sure to practice extensively with it as it appears easier then it is to become a consistent shot using one.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm not a fan of monopods, just me. I find them unstable. I do have and use Primos Trigger Stix. Both the bipod and tripod. I highly recommend both. You open the legs and squeeze the trigger on the grip and the legs extend independently. This is great for hillsides and uneven ground. As soon as you release the trigger, it's solid. It also swivels and pivots. The tripod is super stable and great for shooting all ranges, but it's bigger and heavier. For bowhunting purposes the bipod is still great. I'd check them both out and see which you prefer. Their customer service is also amazing! I lent my like new bipod to my younger cousin for a two week hunt in northern B.C. and it came back abused and not functioning properly. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to exchange it for a new one. It wasn't even a defect it was abuse.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

In a ground blind I use a tripod , by crossbow sits on it all the time, even when shooting.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
way123hockey

Post by way123hockey »

I love my Cabelas bipod but adjusting the height is a pain sometimes to get it just right. I definitely will be looking into the Primos Trigger Stix that Paul mentioned.
Matrix 355 Blackout
Katana 385 BlackOps
Custom Black Vixen
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
Wabi Calls
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Save yourself some money and make your own shooting sticks. It's easy and can be made for about 10 bucks.go to you tube and see how many ways there are to make them , I like the one where you use a pursik knot to tie the two sticks together. Fully adjustable and can be used as a walking stick.
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

For my ground blind I use a Bog-Pod tripod and for the ground/ghillie suit I use a Harris Bi-Pod.

I also use both for just shooting too
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Waif

Post by Waif »

Primos trigger stick monopod for me for gun and crossbow.
I rest it lightly against a horizontal object when possible , and my leg or chair if nothing else is available.
In practice sessions , a push pull similar to handgunning without over doing it steadies it.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

paulaboutform wrote:I'm not a fan of monopods, just me. I find them unstable. I do have and use Primos Trigger Stix. Both the bipod and tripod. I highly recommend both. You open the legs and squeeze the trigger on the grip and the legs extend independently. This is great for hillsides and uneven ground. As soon as you release the trigger, it's solid. It also swivels and pivots. The tripod is super stable and great for shooting all ranges, but it's bigger and heavier. For bowhunting purposes the bipod is still great. I'd check them both out and see which you prefer. Their customer service is also amazing! I lent my like new bipod to my younger cousin for a two week hunt in northern B.C. and it came back abused and not functioning properly. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to exchange it for a new one. It wasn't even a defect it was abuse.

Paul
I use that PRIMOS stick while fly fishing under my left arm really helps while standing..
CROSSBOWCOWBOY

Post by CROSSBOWCOWBOY »

Kawaboy, I use a primos trigger stick monopod in a treestand with a primos trigger stick attachment base sold by Amazon for about $24.99 ? It stabilizes the monopod ! All you have to do is remove the end cap, and insert it ! You can pack it in, the monopod collapse's to about 33"and extends to 65" quietly !! It also, makes a good walking stick ! Though I wouldn't lean on it!! The base is pretty impressive, you can strap it down to the base plate of your tree stand also,(zip ties) etc..., check it out ? The trigger stick gen 2 runs about $49.99