How to properly sharpen a broadhead?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmajik

How to properly sharpen a broadhead?

Post by bowmajik »

Hi all I'm just wondering if there is a proper way to sharpen broadheads, specifically slick trick's and the excal bolt cutters? My question here is do I need a stone or is the hand held carbide broadhead sharpener I have sufficient? Any info as always will be very greatly appreciated.
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Re: How to properly sharpen a broadhead?

Post by Hunt it »

Carbide is your best bet for touch up. Small blades such as this are PIA to sharpen as it is very hard to hold them properly. Most folks just buy packs of replacement blades which are generaly in the $10.00/pack range.

Post by newbie »

slicks can easily be sharpened on a stone. just leave the broadhead together on the shaft. I bought credit card sized diamond plates for this.
I now use my worksharp.
I will not use a carbide on anything.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Check out this broadhead sharpener. I have the knife sharpener and it works great.

http://kmesharp.com/broadhead-sharpener.html
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Waif

Post by Waif »

Match the factory edge and "polish" them razor sharp.
Be sure no wire edge remains.
Edges can be stropped after sharpening.
Different schools of thought in sharpening ,one has surgical edges and others are content with file sharpened edges to tear veins rather than slice.
I prefer hemorrhage as best possible.

Under magnification most well worked/sharpened edges are jagged enough to please the rough cut theory adherents ,yet still be shaving sharp enough for the other school.
I use a fine stone usually with oil for razor edges to float metal fragments but beyond touching them up if needed ,replaceable blades are convenient..
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

I use crock sticks.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

lansky diamond stone kit works great with tricks, i couldnt get them to shoot well so i switched to ramcats, i use a different method to sharpen those.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Just dont do what I did. A dremel doesnt work worth a beans. :shock: :cry: Im thinking of trying the sharpening guide with a diamond plate.
Hank
CROSSBOWCOWBOY

Post by CROSSBOWCOWBOY »

Here's an old trick to use when sharpening ? Take a sharpie ( black felt pen) mark the edge (the razors blade edge) along its length, then sharpen, this will improve your consistency ? As far as the edge ? Well, time tested !!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

My favorite resharpenning technique for the slick tricks is to unscrew the trocar tip and remove the blades, insert new replacement blades and screw trocar tip back in. Perfect! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

paulaboutform wrote:My favorite resharpenning technique for the slick tricks is to unscrew the trocar tip and remove the blades, insert new replacement blades and screw trocar tip back in. Perfect! :mrgreen:

Paul
that is also by far the most expensive way to do it. do you also buy a new pocket knife every time you use it? id go broke if i did that, i use my knife lots of times every day.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

[quote

Paul[/quote]
................ do you also buy a new pocket knife every time you use it? ......................[/quote]

Not the whole knife, just the blades....Havalon knives.....throwaway blades...... :D :D
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

kawaboy-zx11 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:My favorite resharpenning technique for the slick tricks is to unscrew the trocar tip and remove the blades, insert new replacement blades and screw trocar tip back in. Perfect! :mrgreen:

Paul
that is also by far the most expensive way to do it. do you also buy a new pocket knife every time you use it? id go broke if i did that, i use my knife lots of times every day.
That's ridiculous! :D ....the slicks I hunt with are always virgin blades, that's why I use replacement blades. The ones I've slot on game get cleaned up and used as target broadheads. It's a far cry from $3.00 replacement blades vs a $150.00 knife. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

before and after, sharpness has made no noticeable difference on POI in my 30+ years of archery experience. they may have shot good groups but i was looking for something that flew closer with field points. the ramcats do fly closer but not EXACTLY like my field points from a lead sled. cats are a couple inches low and left, i fixed the low by switching to 175gr field points (i shoot 100gr cats) but i am still about 2" left at 40 with the 175gr field points. so i am just leaving my scope set up for the broadheads....but MAN! those ramcats are unbelievably accurate if you set the scope up for them! i am talking same hole from a benchrest every time.
Last edited by kawaboy-zx11 on Thu May 26, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'm with Paul, I just replace the blades. My advice to those who wish to sharpen their replaceable blads is to get a good sharpening steel like a Dick and learn how to use it. Nothing finishes an edge like a good steel.
Some people just like stepping on rakes