Tact Zone scope issue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

born2hunt70

Tact Zone scope issue

Post by born2hunt70 »

I just purchased a The New Bulldog 400, which I love by the way. I shot at least a dozen different crossbows by several different makers and hands down the bulldog is the best!!! I ended up purchasing from Cabelas I shot an couple times there to finalize my decision and noticed the scope was a bit blurry; I attributed it to the scope covers since they were down when I shot and had trouble getting them to flip up. Once I got home and shot it without the scope cover I was getting a lot of Halo effect or fisheye as some people call it. It was a challenge to position my head just right to get a clear view and even when I did the optics seemed a bit hazy. I noticed this has been a problem for others. My father in law has a micro 335 with a dead zone which I have shot several times and never had this issue with his scope. I'm thinking I may have a faulty scope? The tact zone reticle is awesome I love it and the rheostat illumination but the haze is bugging me. I don't feel someone should have to deal with this when you spend $1200. Any suggestions? I am planning on contacting Cabelas to see if they will exchange it for me.
vixenmaster

Re: Tact Zone scope issue

Post by vixenmaster »

My friend depends on what you like in optics n what yer willin to accept. Those pkg. scopes are jus that neither fish nor fowl. They usually will let you get to hunt decently but they are not quality optics. My self i cannot stand lookin thru a scope that looks like the bottom of a soda bottle. Warranty it trade it sell it n get a good scope
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315

Post by newbie »

what Mike said x2.
ibhad a tact on my 355 and thought it was a good scope..... served its intended purpose quite well.
Then along came leupold.....
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Waif

Post by Waif »

First before getting rid of the scope ..loosen it and adjust eye relief by sliding it forwards or backwards till you have a full scope filled/diameter view.
Then after securing the scope.. check for a diopter adjustment on rear of eyepiece.
Sight through scope at a nearby blank wall and adjust diopter for clarity to your individual eyesight.(Better yet ,follow manufacturers instructions for this adjustment)
If scope still is not clear you have a valid issue.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... a46872b9f6
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
bitemybait

Post by bitemybait »

Waif wrote:First before getting rid of the scope ..loosen it and adjust eye relief by sliding it forwards or backwards till you have a full scope filled/diameter view.
Then after securing the scope.. check for a diopter adjustment on rear of eyepiece.
Sight through scope at a nearby blank wall and adjust diopter for clarity to your individual eyesight.(Better yet ,follow manufacturers instructions for this adjustment)

Very well said Waif :!:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Distance from scope to your eye may be problem...I would say scope is too far forward on your mount of rings ...every eye may be different on eye relief..I have 2 tact -zone scopes and they are fine except what VM said they are not real big optic too look thru but fine with me ..so move scope rings on mount back and also scope in rings too if needed.Then comes making the crosshairs darker and view behind crosshairs clear..That sometimes takes a few shooting sessions to get it right do to weather ..REMEMBER with scopes with small aperature to look thru you have to center your eye because these scopes do not have parallax adj ,I make sure I am looking straight into scope not from side etc..Sometimes you haveto stand up to do it I see so many shots at range with guns because folks look thru scope sideways etc..Like VM these scopes have small hole to look thru vrs better scopes with bigger holes so it must be correct EYE RELIEF and you will be fine..

I have 100 shots thru 1 of my tact zone scopes and it is fine for me BUT if I wanted nice big clear view I would upgrade to better scope ..Lighted feature of Tact-Zone is big plus on way I hunt big Bucks only move at dark.....

Post by newbie »

the tact is VERY critical of eye relief and cheek weld. if you get it right its a good scope.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

In my opinion, the Dead Zone or the Vari-zone both provide a crisper and cleaner view than a Tact Zone.... I have only had experience with those 3 Excal scopes before moving to Leupold Crossbones and a couple of XB30 SR Pro's which are the highest quality illuminated scope model that Hawke Optics makes... Both Leuplod and Hawke scopes carry lifetime warranties and use excellent glass.

I would contact Danny Miller, who own's and operates "Horizontal Archery" and is a Excal service rep. here in the States, if you can't get your T/Z sorted out.... He will most likely allow a full value up-grade trade for a new Leupold Crossbones or has lots of experience with Excalibur models and will steer you towards their best model available.

Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

newbie wrote:the tact is VERY critical of eye relief and cheek weld. if you get it right its a good scope.
You are right..It is his eye relief and its not big lense to look thru but out to 40 yds both of mine are fine for hunting deer..If I was into shooting target and into that no doubt I would get Leopold all my rifles 17 most have Leopold scopes with parallax adj on them...

So far I have not changed my view on scope but I have not had better scopes to compare but to me hunting this scope is great and shooting in yard is fine .But for folks who had different scopes they could see things they do not like in TZ vrs the great scopes ..

like my rifles almost all have the 400 dollar or more Leupold scopes on them yet my friends use the Tasco 100 dollar scopes and feel they are great..No Jap scope is getting on my hunting rifles..lol..
Last edited by sproulman on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Post by Boo »

L. E. Carroll wrote:In my opinion, the Dead Zone or the Vari-zone both provide a crisper and cleaner view than a Tact Zone.... I have only had experience with those 3 Excal scopes before moving to Leupold Crossbones and a couple of XB30 SR Pro's which are the highest quality illuminated scope model that Hawke Optics makes... Both Leuplod and Hawke scopes carry lifetie warranties and use excellent glass.

I would contact Danny Miller, who own's and operates "Horizontal Archery" and is a Excal service rep. here in the States, if you can't get your T/Z sorted out.... He will most likely allow a full value up-grade trade for a new Leupold Crossbones or has lots of experience with Excalibur models and will steer you towards their best model available.

Gene
Danny will be in Sudbury, Ontario for atleast a week bear hunting.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:
L. E. Carroll wrote:In my opinion, the Dead Zone or the Vari-zone both provide a crisper and cleaner view than a Tact Zone.... I have only had experience with those 3 Excal scopes before moving to Leupold Crossbones and a couple of XB30 SR Pro's which are the highest quality illuminated scope model that Hawke Optics makes... Both Leuplod and Hawke scopes carry lifetie warranties and use excellent glass.

Gene
Danny will be in Sudbury, Ontario for atleast a week bear hunting.
and you didnt go with? :mrgreen:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

You guys talk about bear hunting my area is great on bear here in pa.Last year my neighbors gang of 25 got 25 bears ..Another gang got 14 bears .All use crossbows and they drive bear no bait allowed.. .. They shoot bears with crossbows running ....There was 265 bear killed in 3 days of bear in my county..Some bears as big as 800 pds ..This is publicland not private ...I have 2 bear in yard last night and 3 bucks and a doe ....

I stopped hunting bear when PGC allowed killing of cubs most whisper here comes SPROUL the hunter that does not believe in killing cubs..Too me the hunters doing it are disgusting..
born2hunt70

Post by born2hunt70 »

Waif wrote:First before getting rid of the scope ..loosen it and adjust eye relief by sliding it forwards or backwards till you have a full scope filled/diameter view.

Great advice, thank you. I did make some adjustments and it seems better. I shot in low light and all seemed good. I hated to get rid of it because I really like the reticle on the Tact Zone; in my opinion its the best out there. I may upgrade next year to the twilight DLX I have heard good things about it.

sproulman

Post by sproulman »

once you play with eye relief it will be fine but its not like rifle LEUPOLD rifle scope like I have on most of my guns...If I was into shooting target yes I would upgrade to best but for Buck hunting this scope is great ......Put super glue on inside of the scope cover lenses just drop in maybe 2 places they pop out and you will lose them..I never look thru them anyhow even if it rains so they only protect scope lense for me..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Very lucky I have nice place to shoot in my yard to 40 yards.So I can leave everything in my breezyway out of weather..This allows me to shoot a lot more than normal..Great..

on too Tact-one scope..Every time I shoot I seem to tweak the clarity of scope but thats just me ..Found out that daylight sunny or cloudy you can turn the rear lense just hair and it gets clearer..Only thing is I am way out on the rear like at least 1/4 inch or so out .....

I used that cleaning/fog cream on lense and it makes lense SHINY as h ..You get glare from behind you bouncing off walls ..O f course in woods this would not happen..

So far this scope TZ adjusts real nice at 30 yds ..I can move the POI that it hits right in orange little target stickers that are 1/2 inch with black center I can put arrow in black adjusting the scope,REAL NICE..

My custom 18 inch arrows shoot about 1/2 inch from my stock 16.5 inch Quills at 30 yards..
Scope seems fine but if I was shooting 40 yds and out I would want scope with bigger view but we only shoot about 35 yards on Buck so TZ view is fine ....

I tried scope with green light on inside with Lumenock and that was hoot to see arrow going to target at 30 yds..At 40 you could really see drop of arrow and lack of energy /drop as it fly to target.....

So far I am happy with TZ scope for us that never used scope its great..