Corn feeder? Quantity

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Corn feeder? Quantity

Post by janesy »

Anyone who baits or feeds with Corn, how much Corn would you go through in a week?

I've two tube style feeders side by side in a woods close by. In 10 days I've gone through 15 gallons of corn. After the first week, my camera snapped a pic of a deers ass as it walked away from the feeder but it has not caught a single pic of anything yet. Now, it was a cheap camera, and I have replaced it today with a better one. But if it's not deer, what else could clean up that much Corn so quick. The area is pretty full of resident deer who grace my camera's continuously. 3 bucks, two Doe/fawn pairs and numerous single Does. But how could I not get a pic of anything? I know there are chipmunks into it, but 15 gallons gone ?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Re: Corn feeder? Quantity

Post by vixenmaster »

Those big familys of Masked Bandits will do it very quickly. If'en i fill up my pvc feeder full 20 lbs, they will eat it all in one nite

Last edited by vixenmaster on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Any turkeys around? They will eat everything you give them corn wise. I don't bother feeding deer until snow flies. Way too much crop around here for them to even bother with bait. Turkeys like the loose stuff from co op way better.
Bones

Post by Bones »

The masked bandit's will clean you out . 8 kg or roughly 17.5 lbs vanished in a day and a half . Had ton's of pic's with them on it , best was 5 at one time . Not doing that again . suspecting that's your problem.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Turkeys and coons around for sure. But it's driving me crazy that they haven't tripped the camera. Surly after all that time they must move at least a bit.

This bait station is actually more of an " picture " location for me anyway. I have hunting watches elsewhere .
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bones wrote:The masked bandit's will clean you out . 8 kg or roughly 17.5 lbs vanished in a day and a half . Had ton's of pic's with them on it , best was 5 at one time . Not doing that again . suspecting that's your problem.
Damn . I get the corn for free, but it's not easy to get it to the spot . Maybe I will have some better pics tomorrow from the good camera. After I got the pic of the deer right away, I never considered anything else would be into it. First time feeding deer.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

Gravity feeders are loved by coons and squirrels. They can certainly devour alot of corn in short order. Here in bear country we need feeders suspended from cables between 2 large trees. I have a 330# feeder that can feed deer for nearly 2 months. It conditions the deer to show up during the day and creates a routine for them. Large feeders allow for long times between entering the hunting area..
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
janesy

Post by janesy »

The cable idea is a good one! I can make that work.
So does the feeder swing loose so a coon couldn't get a hold of it ? Kinda like a squirrel free bird feeder.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
chadgrow

Post by chadgrow »

I no longer use a feeder due to the location is now hunt. I have a 350 pound feeder that I've used in the past. The trick with feeders is to feed year round on a timer. As long as there is green foliage to browse they will hit the corn sparingly......so feed less just regular....they need to get used to the motor coming on and slinging the corn....they will also pattern around the timer during the winter season when food is sparse.....this is when you increase the time of feed 1/2 before light and a few hours before dusk...the deer pattern around this....this can be helpful or hurtful....the main thing is to concentrate does to the area so that they are leaving fresh sent, when the rut starts the bucks will target the does....I KILL THE MOTORIZED FEEDER....unless the buck your targeting has been on that feeder since he was a fawn he'll spook.....and the buck that enters during the rut is probably hasn't fed on that feeder and won't like that motor....Generally I hunt natural habitat, white oak, persimmons, which I hit hard with fertilizer spikes in the spring and late summer.....however late season if just for meat when foods gone and it's cold you can broadcast corn (at least 100#) and go in a couple days latter and get your deer (as long as the spot isn't blown up from sloppy hunting). My two cents.
galamb

Post by galamb »

My feeder has a timer plus a timer on how long it will broadcast as well.

Have it dialed in to spread 40'ish pounds a week - two feeds a day that last spread for 6 or 7 seconds.

Last year went through 400 pounds of feed in 8 weeks (which covered the early bow, gun and mid bow seasons).

And yes, the Coons, Rabbits, Jay's, Chips/Squirrels eat more than the Deer do :(
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
bigrak

Post by bigrak »

vixenmaster wrote:Those big familys of Masked Bandits will do it very quickly. If'en i fill up my pvc feeder full 20 lbs, they will eat it all in one nite

Are they able to hit the orange handle of that feeder? :?
Matrix 405 Mega, Hawke XB30 SR Pro
trigger tech, Dr Stirrup ' Tac Pac
BEE 20" 429gr. NAP spitfires 100gr. Ignitors
BD400 XB30 SR PRO DR. Stirrup.
New 420TD Assassin
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

bigrak wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:Those big familys of Masked Bandits will do it very quickly. If'en i fill up my pvc feeder full 20 lbs, they will eat it all in one nite

Are they able to hit the orange handle of that feeder? :?
They climb the trees n get the lid open. I had to drill holes n use screws. They also would rock the feeder back n forth to shake all the corn out. I no longer have that bucket feeder
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I hunt on a tiny post stamp sized property, have tried a few different feeders to get the deer to stop at my little huntin area , but realized I am feeding everything but the deer lol if you have bears, they will stay until the food is devoured, and coons will feast every single night , leaving little for the deer.

I now only put out salt blocks in the spring.

Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
janesy

Post by janesy »

Went and checked today. No pics, half corn gone. Squirreled are into it. But they are eating the germ out and leaving the rest of the curnel(sp?) Behind.
Better game camera has not taken a single pix, and it works great. Oh well, guess it is what it is.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
exocet200hunter

Post by exocet200hunter »

How high do you have your camera mounted on the tree ? I usually only go up 3.5 to 4feet off the ground.