cannot get the bow sighted in!!!!! frustrated!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cadmaster

cannot get the bow sighted in!!!!! frustrated!!!!

Post by cadmaster »

Went out today to check the bow and get it ready for deer season. the first 6 shots at 20 yards were good and got it sighted in OK, but a couple were well out vertically then moved to 30 yards and started shooting and I could not get more than 2 shots close together. It seemed that every other shot was well out in the vertical and few grouped close. I am thinking either a loose screw or another scope is toast. it appears that the change is mostly in the vertical and not the horizontal axis. I gave up after about 30 shots as there was no consistency in the error. The error was up to 12" vertically and less than 4" horizontally. early during the session I was putting arrows Very close together almost damaged one by hitting it. did destroy one broad head because it went farther through the target than normal and hit a rock.

This scope was replaced last year at almost the exact same time. it is a fixed power dead zone scope with the speed ring. speed ring set just over 300. shooting 100 grain target points and broad heads with the arrows that came with the bow.

I also had the Axiom apart for cleaning and maintenance after last season.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your Help!

Mark
BrotherRon

Re: cannot get the bow sighted in!!!!! frustrated!!!!

Post by BrotherRon »

I would check the trigger housing screws first.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Check all screws first. Even the screws that hold the trigger assy to the rail.
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters

Post by newbie »

yup i would say scope mount screws. if not check the rest.... all of them.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Had the same problem with my matrix 330 checked all the screws even the small ones took them out and thread locked all of them Problem solved . Now the only time it shoots off target it's me not the crossbow
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I will be checking all the screws tonight. News at 11

Thanks for all the help Folks I very much appreciate it!

M
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Use blue loc-tite!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

OK
I checked all bolts on the bow some were not as tight as I could make them and some were. None were actually loose (all were hard to turn).

bolts tightened:
scope caps x 4 of 8 (all left side)
main scope bolts x 2
trigger attachment bolts x 2
limb bar bolts x 4 (I cranked these down some more, but not as tight as possible for fear of over tightening).

My only worry there is over tightening the critical ones and stripping the threads.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Hi CAD, when you sight in it is advisable to use only 1 arrow that way you will rule out bad arrows . it is a pain when you have to get your arrow after every shot but it will save you a lot of guessing . if you shoot of a bench you can tell if your scope is off after each shot. sounds like all is tight . so just try this method it can't hurt.
W.M.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Just a thought. Are you shooting more than one arrow at a time? Try shooting one arrow only. I know lots of running to the target to get the arrow. This will see if the arrow is the fault. Just a thought. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
frisky

Post by frisky »

W.Miguire
Great minds think alike!LOL :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I actually thought of that myself, but all of those arrows are tried and tested. one still could be bad though. I am using a rest so I can shoot robinhoods all day long without difficulty. I will try the one arrow test and see if that is part of the problem. I always put the bright fletch in the grove, so if it was an arrow if I put a dark fletch in the groove is should send the arrow to a different location. I would think though that since the problem is only vertical and not horizontal it makes more sense that it is the bow or the scope.

hopefully I will be able to get out soon and try re-sighting the bow as we have several days of hard rain, doctors appointments, church, etc. messing up my free time.

I imagine my hunting buddy is worried though as he will not hunt alone and only hunts a few days a year now (health).
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

Hope you get it straightened out
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Some time free time is hard to come by . but you must take the time you have and make the best of it . do not assume that all your arrows are the same . they may be close but not all the same . heres a little tip on your arrows .you have three vanes on them, take a marking pen and put a dot on a vane and two dots on another and three on the last one now shoot one dot a time and you will see a difference in the way each arrow shoots. try to shoot from a bench so you get a good rest. if it is your scope you will see the center move if you shoot off the rest . I had a t zone go bad and could see it move after the shot . the center dot would be off . got a new one and that was it .good luck .let us know how it works out for you .
W.M.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

The problem was the arrows. I got everything sighted in all the way out to 60 yards and grouping well even with broadheads. I am going to have to spend a bunch of time in the off season and get all the arrows patterened and matched. I have 4 what are more than good enough out to 60 yards and matched with broadheads.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

As a newbie it really makes a difference to the enjoyment of the sport when folks like you guys are so willing to help solve problems!!!!!!!!!