To Shoot or Not to Shoot???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Re: To Shoot or Not to Shoot???

Post by Hi5 »

Nicely laid out set of facts, G.A.

On two separate occasions now, I've had to resume tracking an elk the following day that had been arrowed the evening before. Both were recovered, and the meat used, thankfully. On both occasions there was virtually no sleep that night, worrying about whether or not day light would allow us to pick up a faint to non existent blood trail.

To be honest, when there's thunder rumbling, my hunt is over. I hunt from one of those metal lightening rods that most people call ladder stands. Maybe I'm superstitious about this sort of thing, but I don't like sitting on one of the highest things in the forest that is metal and also perfectly grounded. Of course, there are ground blinds, and that's a different consideration because I don't use one.

If I were hunting in your fact situation, I wouldn't have seen the deer. Period. Unless it is pretty darned obvious that there is only going to be an isolated, brief, shower, I'm out of my stand and done for the day.

You can't depend on your animal dropping within a few yards after it's hit. If you are going to shoot, you must be capable of tracking, and that's not practical if it's raining. If it's raining, after shooting you need to pursue the animal immediately to assure that you identify and mark a blood trail before it is washed away. You can't do that AND follow the first rule of hunting, namely, wait one half hour before tracking. So, in your fact situation, I wouldn't have even been around to see the deer and have to face the ethical dilemma you set out.

Since your set of facts puts you in heavy bush, the only exception I could visualize would be if you had a good tracking dog. However, that's not legal in my jurisdiction.
Last edited by Hi5 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Well, I would pass in fact if we have steady rain I won't hunt with my bow and when I hunt with a rifle I leave the 257rbts in the case and break out my cannon :D so that even with not the greatest hit I knock them on their A$$ I have been on two many night time excursions in the rain helping buddies look for a deer they were sure was nailed and yes we recovered those deer by using a grid pattern the next day and you all know how wonderful a dead deer is 12hours later in 70 degree temps.
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
galamb

Post by galamb »

Appreciate all the opinions.

So what did I do?

I took the arrow from the bow and put it in the quiver. Then poured a coffee and watched Bambi eat some more of the corn I had out.

The place I hunt is dense and otherwise as described. Even from my stand (12 feet to the base from the ground) I can't see more than 30 yards in any direction, so if, once hit, he had made it more than 30 yards (likely), he would have been over a low hill (in three directions, with a swamp behind me) and totally out of sight.

A hundred yards further in any direction and he would have been over two or three hills (it really looks like a giant sunk his fingers in the ground and gouged out low hills/shallow gully's).

So with the dull light, the rain, the fog and the thunder continuing I gave that one to Bambi.

I would rather end the season, 3 months from now, with no deer than go the rest of the year thinking about one that I hit and didn't recover.

This is my 46th deer hunting season. The "need to get one to have a successful hunt" was over many years ago :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

Sounds like you made the right choice - that is the one you can be comfortable with and sleep well knowing you did not take a chance on something that could go wrong.
Deer are very tough and unpredictable, so no telling how far it would go, even if you did get a good hit on it. Losing a deer that you hit but could not find is something that you do not get over for a long time.
Good luck with the rest of your season making better memories.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Well, from what you've described, good call Graham. On the bright side, you get to spend more time afield! :D ......maybe your ethics and integrity will be rewarded with an even better buck. :wink:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

Yah what did you do?
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Good call
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
galamb

Post by galamb »

Three seasons back I tagged out 1 and half hours into opening day - made for a long season of chores around the house since like this year, I also tagged out on a black bear during my moose hunt in late September.

Hey, there is always partridge :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
frisky

Post by frisky »

I believe you made the right call. I won't hunt in the rain, the only link to your deer is a blood trail! :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

galamb wrote:Appreciate all the opinions.

So what did I do?

I took the arrow from the bow and put it in the quiver. Then poured a coffee and watched Bambi eat some more of the corn I had out.

The place I hunt is dense and otherwise as described. Even from my stand (12 feet to the base from the ground) I can't see more than 30 yards in any direction, so if, once hit, he had made it more than 30 yards (likely), he would have been over a low hill (in three directions, with a swamp behind me) and totally out of sight.

A hundred yards further in any direction and he would have been over two or three hills (it really looks like a giant sunk his fingers in the ground and gouged out low hills/shallow gully's).

So with the dull light, the rain, the fog and the thunder continuing I gave that one to Bambi.

I would rather end the season, 3 months from now, with no deer than go the rest of the year thinking about one that I hit and didn't recover.

This is my 46th deer hunting season. The "need to get one to have a successful hunt" was over many years ago :)

How to I respond to this ..Did not think many like me around anymore that enjoys hunt vrs filling freezer..I have access card,only kidding..lol...
Sir I enjoyed your hunt reminds me of me ....Times i feel better leaving buck go to come home and crawl in bed and watch tv...

You answered it by saying 46 th year this is my 53 rd year,49 bucks i did not end season too much without buck over those years...best memory was time 18 bucks came under my stand and i got NONE that evenings..that was in 1964 i was waiting for 12 point to come out of woods he never did...

You know if we had lots of deer like some say they have i have no problem killing does but even when i saw 25 deer per day easy we are only allowed 1 doe and i did take doe then with muzzleloader in feb at -10 ..but today we just do not have deer we had in 60s if i see 4 deer per week its something on publicland now..
Trentco1

Post by Trentco1 »

Great story graham
An a better ending;)
Micro 355
Hawke xb30 pro scope T&T Triger boo force 10 string Zombie slayers 16.5 arrows c/w right helical blazer vanes aluminum nocks or lumenoks
Micro 315
Tact zone scope force 10 string 16" inch executioner arrows aluminum nocks or lumenoks